Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Chromebook questions

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
swill453
Lemon Half

Chromebook questions

Postby swill453 » November 16th, 2020, 9:46 pm

I've got a few questions about Chromebooks, mainly about offline use.

Can I use something like VLC to play movie files, when I don't have an internet connection? I assume I can have the files on a USB stick?

Can it run BBC iPlayer? Would this be via an app or a web page? Would it be able to download programmes for later offline viewing? Similar questions for Channel 4 etc.

Do they tend to come with Bluetooth?

Scott.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Re: Chromebook questions

Postby tikunetih » November 16th, 2020, 10:05 pm

swill453 wrote:I've got a few questions about Chromebooks, mainly about offline use.

Can I use something like VLC to play movie files, when I don't have an internet connection? I assume I can have the files on a USB stick?

Can it run BBC iPlayer? Would this be via an app or a web page? Would it be able to download programmes for later offline viewing? Similar questions for Channel 4 etc.

Do they tend to come with Bluetooth?

Scott.

1. As I understand it, common video format files can be played straight from the Files app, so usually little need for a 3rd party tool, although I believe there is a Chrome OS VLC app if you want one.

2. You can run BBC iPlayer in the browser or insyall the Android app. The browser iPlayer doesn't permit Downloads for the offline viewing, but the Android app does.

3. Bluetooth, yes, although I seem to recall for ages that aspects of the BT implementation/stack on Chrome OS could be pretty ropey, but perhaps that is now largely remedied?
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/09/1 ... chrome-os/

tikunetih
Lemon Slice

Postby tikunetih » November 16th, 2020, 10:15 pm

NB the "All 4" Android app doesn't install ("Your device isn't compatible with this version") on my Chromebook - so probably won't on any other either is my guess - so that means web player only and therefore no downloads, as far as I'm aware.

It's a bit case-by-case like this.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 16th, 2020, 11:25 pm

tikunetih wrote:It's a bit case-by-case like this.

Very much so. The OP was after simple answers. With the appropriate hardware you can put the Chromebook into "developer" mode and run a linux distro as a sub-systom. That of course would greatly increase the things that you could do upon it.... If that was what you wanted to do. Even to the extent of video editing.

Personally I don't have a Chromebook, but wouldn't want to go to that extent unless I had to.

BTW, the Chrome OS isn't quite Android. Sure it's close. But then so is linux (given that both are based upon an earlier linux). Bring back the concept of Posix I say.

*droid apps usually use a java subsystem and API.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrome_OS
https://www.howtogeek.com/189036/androi ... that-mean/

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”