Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Routers

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: Routers

Postby GeoffF100 » November 20th, 2020, 6:58 pm

martinc wrote:So, you have a name defined for your Pi Zero (E.g. chesscam). Can you ping chesscam or chesscam.local? If so, you may not need to reserve an IP at all.

I can sometimes get in with: ssh pi@raspberry.local, but that does not always work. The Plusnet router interface shows IP addresses but not hostnames. The secret interface does show host names, but the Zero hostname is often shown as host unknown.

I am working on the image processing using saved files at the moment. I will tackle the networking again when I need to connect. The only loose link is the DNS IP address. I have not been able to verify that, but I expect that is the router IP address. If I get locked out completely, I can always remove the microSD card from the Zero, and edit on my Xubuntu machine.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 20th, 2020, 7:27 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
martinc wrote: The only loose link is the DNS IP address. I have not been able to verify that, but I expect that is the router IP address. If I get locked out completely, I can always remove the microSD card from the Zero, and edit on my Xubuntu machine.

Setting the DNS IP address to the router's IP address should work because the router will hand the request on to one of Plusnet's DNS servers. But you don't have to do it that way, you can set any public DNS server you want, such as 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS servers) or 1.1.1.1 (OpenDNS). You can use sites like this to find one that is likely to perform best for you:

https://www.dnsperf.com/

RC

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 21st, 2020, 12:35 am

GeoffF100 wrote:
martinc wrote:So, you have a name defined for your Pi Zero (E.g. chesscam). Can you ping chesscam or chesscam.local? If so, you may not need to reserve an IP at all.

I can sometimes get in with: ssh pi@raspberry.local, but that does not always work.

I think the default hostname for raspbian is raspberrypi
- but you can change it in /etc/hostname
- reboot to apply (or find the hostname.sh and run)
-sd

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”