Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

switching to fibre

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

switching to fibre

Postby newlyretired » November 29th, 2020, 7:00 pm

Openreach are about to build an “Ultrafast Community Project” (FTTP broadband) in our village replacing ADSL copper phone lines, and I’m curious about what is involved for properties which will be connected.

Will our existing routers still work?
Is a master telephone socket provided?
Does the master socket need an electric power connection?

Thanks for any information on this

newlyretired

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: switching to fibre

Postby Lootman » November 29th, 2020, 7:12 pm

In my case the answer was Yes and Yes to the last two questions. Power was a low voltage supply plugged into a power strip via a transformer as with most small electronic devices.

Don't know about the first question but the vendor provided a new router anyway.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 29th, 2020, 8:10 pm

In my case Zen are putting in FTTP on Friday. I’m not having a telephone line and they supply a router.

As I understand it the little box supplied by openreach takes the optical signal and outputs a standard Ethernet connection. The Ethernet cable then goes from the openreach box (ONT) to an Ethernet port on the router. I guess that would work with any router or even with no router. You could just have a switch or a mesh Wi-Fi.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 29th, 2020, 8:59 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:In my case Zen are putting in FTTP on Friday. I’m not having a telephone line and they supply a router.

As I understand it the little box supplied by openreach takes the optical signal and outputs a standard Ethernet connection. The Ethernet cable then goes from the openreach box (ONT) to an Ethernet port on the router. I guess that would work with any router or even with no router. You could just have a switch or a mesh Wi-Fi.

Yes, I just checked my "little box" and it's the same - output is a standard ethernet cable, so any router should work I would guess too.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 29th, 2020, 11:58 pm

https://www.allconnect.com/blog/update- ... r-internet

"... Fiber-optic internet uses yet a third type of technology to transmit the signal. At its most basic level, fiber internet is comprised of thin pieces of glass that send and receive the internet signal. The glass carries beams of light that transmit the data. This state-of-the-art method affects what equipment fiber-optic service requires, including cables, modems and routers. Without a fiber-compatible modem, fiber-optic internet service will not work..."

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”