Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

/using iphone as webcam

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

/using iphone as webcam

Postby raybarrow » January 5th, 2021, 10:05 am

Hi Folks,

Can anyone recommend the best app/software to use iphone as webcam. I can use Zoom, Jitsi and all that stuff but I would like to be able to easily connect iphone to laptop (Windows 10). I had an 'old' logitech but there are no Windows 10 drivers for it, and it's resolution is probably not that good these days.

Any suggestions welcome.
Ray

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Re: /using iphone as webcam

Postby gryffron » January 5th, 2021, 10:26 am

My first thought on reading your question was - don't! It's a totally inappropriate tool for the job. You can use an iPhone as a hammer but it's not a very good tool for that either.

But it appears there are a couple of apps which will do it. Both have free trials so give 'em a go. https://www.howtogeek.com/669589/how-to ... -a-webcam/

Given how cheap dedicated webcams are I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Gryff

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 5th, 2021, 10:57 am

Another option might be to screen mirror the iPhone video call to your laptop?

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » January 6th, 2021, 8:54 am

gryffron wrote:Given how cheap dedicated webcams are I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Buying a cheap webcam is not easy during lockdown. I looked few days ago. Web cams were available, but only at inflated prices. I found an interesting project using a Raspberry Pi Zero and a high quality camera as a webcam:

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2020/ ... webcam-100

Here is the same project on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fcbP7lEdzY

That video has gave me inspiration for my computer vision chess project. I could use a USB connection rather than WiFi to send snapshots of the chess board to my desktop computer (or a Pi 4). The Zero supports only 2.4 GHz WiFi, which is congested in my location. Using a single USB connection for both power and data looks like a great idea. Here are some technical details:

https://learn.adafruit.com/turning-your ... net-gadget

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » January 6th, 2021, 9:01 am

gryffron wrote:My first thought on reading your question was - don't! It's a totally inappropriate tool for the job.

Out of curiosity, why would that be? My initial thought as an ignorant spod is the main difficulty would be stopping the thing from going into sleep mode after ten minutes, but I imagine you have more compelling reasons than that.

You can use an iPhone as a hammer but it's not a very good tool for that either.

It would however, be more successful than trying to use a hammer as an iPhone :?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » January 6th, 2021, 12:25 pm

There are still 1080P webcam deals out there - you've got to be quick though as the scalpers have been buying up a lot of the stock of known brands like Logitech during lockdown, pushing the price up considerably.
https://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/webcam

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » January 6th, 2021, 12:48 pm

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the comments. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do yet, ideas are still maturing. I meet regularly on line with my singing group on the laptop and as lockdown is here to stay and we are unlikely to sing together properly, despite the excitement of vaccinations, until the autumn, I'm looking to enhance what we do and thought a second camera might give me a bit more flexibility. Screen sharing is ok but, as with all things, there are limitations. The iphone/wecam would be USB/mains powered.
Just thinking aloud.

Ray.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 6th, 2021, 5:21 pm

raybarrow wrote:Hi Folks,
Thanks for the comments. I'm not entirely sure what I want to do yet, ideas are still maturing. I meet regularly on line with my singing group on the laptop and as lockdown is here to stay and we are unlikely to sing together properly, despite the excitement of vaccinations, until the autumn, I'm looking to enhance what we do and thought a second camera might give me a bit more flexibility. Screen sharing is ok but, as with all things, there are limitations. The iphone/wecam would be USB/mains powered.
Just thinking aloud.

Ray.

A simpler way, assuming you are joining the group with something like Zoom/Teams/Skype is to join the call on both the iPhone and the W10 desktop separately at the same time.

Use the iPhone for video of you (and mute it) and use the W10 desktop for you to see the others and for sound.

Before I retired a couple of weeks ago I did something similar for my work Teams calls. iPhone for sound (which I had through some AirPods) and then also joined the call on my W10 laptop. That way I could wander around listening to the call (our work convention was no video but sound only) but then to be able to see presentations on a larger screen.

Lots of people were surprised that the software allowed you to dial in twice on separate devices, but whatever video calling software you are using there should be a way to do it.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » January 7th, 2021, 9:59 am

Hi AF62,

Good call. Logging in twice to Zoom etc, iphone and Windows might be all I need. Whilst screen sharing is ok at what it does, the freedom of another portable/roaming device could be the answer and I have camera tripods/microphone stands and phone holders already. Just need to sort out what and where.

I will have a play, after all it's one of the benefits of lockdown, time to play.

Cheers,
Ray.

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » January 7th, 2021, 7:31 pm

Can I do Screen mirror my ASUS chromebook laptop to my HP laptop?

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » February 16th, 2021, 8:46 pm

raybarrow wrote:I will have a play, after all it's one of the benefits of lockdown, time to play.

Came across this. https://www.theverge.com/21281765/webca ... mac-how-to
Might be useful.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”