Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

My menu bar along bottom of screen has changed to white

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
richfool
Lemon Quarter

My menu bar along bottom of screen has changed to white

Postby richfool » February 21st, 2021, 10:42 am

After the latest Windows updates, the menu bar, along the bottom of my screen (Toshiba Laptop) has changed to a bright white colour, which I find disconcerting. Does anyone know how I can change it back again? It was blue previously.

I think Windows did a major update last night, as it took a couple of hours to do it, but I can't find it listed under Update History. I think it previously told me that something ending in 2004 was coming soon. The Update History only mentions two security updates: KB4601319 and KB4598481.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: My menu bar along bottom of screen has changed to white

Postby GeoffF100 » February 21st, 2021, 11:34 am

That happened to me. As far as I remember, right clicking on the task bar did not help. I think that I went into Settings and changed something there. I think I set a dark theme. Just click on the options and see what happens.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » February 21st, 2021, 12:35 pm

Using settings, then personalisation and then colours, I can vary the colour of the top Menu bar, but the button for the Start Task Bar is greyed out. It is the colour of the bottom Start Task bar that I am trying to change (from white).

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » February 21st, 2021, 1:14 pm

I have just booted up Windows 10. Try Personalisation > Themes > Colour and set colour to Custom. Choose a dark accent colour. I chose dark a grey. Tick the box for Start, taskbar and action centre. I also ticked the box for Title bars and window borders.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 22nd, 2021, 12:20 am

richfool wrote:After the latest Windows updates, the menu bar, along the bottom of my screen (Toshiba Laptop) has changed to a bright white colour, which I find disconcerting. Does anyone know how I can change it back again? It was blue previously.

I think Windows did a major update last night, as it took a couple of hours to do it, but I can't find it listed under Update History. I think it previously told me that something ending in 2004 was coming soon. The Update History only mentions two security updates: KB4601319 and KB4598481.

The update History should show a Feature Update as well, the 'Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2' by the sounds of it.

A number of changes to the Windows themes were introduced in 20H2, in particular to how transparency and accent colours are applied. In addition to the taskbar change you noticed, the tiles on the Start menu no longer have a solid background colour. In place of the (by default, blue) solid background colour they are now transparent, showing as a slightly lighter shade of whatever accent colour is chosen for the Start menu. This, I feel is a welcome improvement.

To make the taskbar dark again, go to Personalisation > Colours. Set 'Choose your colour' to Custom, then 'Choose your default Windows mode' as Dark. That is all that's required to get back to how it looked before the 20H2 update. You are of course free to experiment further with changing accent colours, but the Windows mode is the key change needed to restore you previous look for the taskbar.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » February 22nd, 2021, 10:15 am

Breelander wrote:
richfool wrote:After the latest Windows updates, the menu bar, along the bottom of my screen (Toshiba Laptop) has changed to a bright white colour, which I find disconcerting. Does anyone know how I can change it back again? It was blue previously.

The update History should show a Feature Update as well, the 'Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2' by the sounds of it.

A number of changes to the Windows themes were introduced in 20H2, in particular to how transparency and accent colours are applied. In addition to the taskbar change you noticed, the tiles on the Start menu no longer have a solid background colour. In place of the (by default, blue) solid background colour they are now transparent, showing as a slightly lighter shade of whatever accent colour is chosen for the Start menu. This, I feel is a welcome improvement.

To make the taskbar dark again, go to Personalisation > Colours. Set 'Choose your colour' to Custom, then 'Choose your default Windows mode' as Dark. That is all that's required to get back to how it looked before the 20H2 update. You are of course free to experiment further with changing accent colours, but the Windows mode is the key change needed to restore you previous look for the taskbar.

Brilliant. That worked, thanks.

I must have been trying to change too much. Though that does leave the top menu bar similarly dark, ideally a bit too dark.

I note this morning, I have a 2021-01 Update for Windows 10 version 2004 pending install, along with a .NET framework, 2 x Dynabook and 1 x Adobe Flash Player updates, all pending install. So if I disappear from the forum members will know why!! :?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 22nd, 2021, 11:50 am

richfool wrote:I note this morning, I have a 2021-01 Update for Windows 10 version 2004 pending install, along with a .NET framework, 2 x Dynabook and 1 x Adobe Flash Player updates, all pending install. So if I disappear from the forum members will know why!! :?

You should be fine, I've had all those too (including the Dynabook ones as I have a Toshiba laptop).

Flash Player is now obsolete and no longer supported. You should be getting 'KB4577586: Update for the removal of Adobe Flash Player' to remove the Windows 10 built-in Flash player that was supplied by Microsoft.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » February 22nd, 2021, 1:22 pm

Breelander wrote:
richfool wrote:I note this morning, I have a 2021-01 Update for Windows 10 version 2004 pending install, along with a .NET framework, 2 x Dynabook and 1 x Adobe Flash Player updates, all pending install. So if I disappear from the forum members will know why!! :?

You should be fine, I've had all those too (including the Dynabook ones as I have a Toshiba laptop).

Flash Player is now obsolete and no longer supported. You should be getting 'KB4577586: Update for the removal of Adobe Flash Player' to remove the Windows 10 built-in Flash player that was supplied by Microsoft.

Yes, they all installed and updated without incident, thanks. Well apart from the Flash Player one, which failed, because, (as you say, it was an update to remove it, and) I had already uninstalled the programme previously.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 22nd, 2021, 2:36 pm

richfool wrote:... apart from the Flash Player one, which failed, because, (as you say, it was an update to remove it, and) I had already uninstalled the programme previously.

There are two types of Flash Player. There was the one that you needed to download and install from Adobe, this was for all your third-party browsers (Firefox, Chrome, etc.). The other was built in to Windows 10, supplied and updated by Microsoft through Windows Update. This one was exclusively for use by the MS built-in browsers IE and Edge.

The Adobe one you could uninstall yourself in 'Add or remove programs', the built-in MS one you couldn't uninstall as it was part of the Windows 10 system. If you uninitialised Flash yourself it would have been the Adobe one, kb4577586 is the only way to remove the Microsoft one.

This update only removes Adobe Flash Player that was installed by your version of Windows. If you installed Adobe Flash Player manually from another source, it will not be removed.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/top ... 3d5da047d5

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » February 27th, 2021, 1:47 pm

Another issue that started at the same time as the above, is that my Toshiba laptop screen has started flashing on and off, very fast, sometimes with very narrow horizontal lines being evident across the screen. I cleared it for a while (a few days), by closing the computer down and then restarting it, but it has come back again today and so far I haven't managed to clear it, by restarting the computer.

Any ideas on that one, please?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 28th, 2021, 2:54 am

richfool wrote:Another issue that started at the same time as the above, is that my Toshiba laptop screen has started flashing on and off, very fast, sometimes with very narrow horizontal lines being evident across the screen. I cleared it for a while (a few days), by closing the computer down and then restarting it, but it has come back again today and so far I haven't managed to clear it, by restarting the computer.

TBH it sounds like it might be the HW
- does adjusting the opening angle of the screen help/change it in anyway? (this could have been part of the closing down that fixed it?)

I suggest this as I've seen it on a few laptops as the cables that drive the screen have eventually given up due to them running through the hinge and getting worn (I've repaired some, replaced others and have one that is bogged with hot melt that I generally use remotely but can just make out the screen if it's open at about 15 deg)

-sd

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » February 28th, 2021, 9:18 am

servodude wrote:
richfool wrote:Another issue that started at the same time as the above, is that my Toshiba laptop screen has started flashing on and off, very fast, sometimes with very narrow horizontal lines being evident across the screen. I cleared it for a while (a few days), by closing the computer down and then restarting it, but it has come back again today and so far I haven't managed to clear it, by restarting the computer.

- does adjusting the opening angle of the screen help/change it in anyway? (this could have been part of the closing down that fixed it?)

I suggest this as I've seen it on a few laptops as the cables that drive the screen have eventually given up due to them running through the hinge and getting worn (I've repaired some, replaced others and have one that is bogged with hot melt that I generally use remotely but can just make out the screen if it's open at about 15 deg)

-sd

Thanks, Servodude. After the second of my re-starts yesterday, it's been working alright. If and when it happens again, I will experiment with the angle of the screen. Not sure what HW stands for, but assume it's related to wiring from your subsequent comments. Thanks again.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 28th, 2021, 9:38 am

richfool wrote:
servodude wrote:

-sd

Thanks, Servodude. After the second of my re-starts yesterday, it's been working alright. If and when it happens again, I will experiment with the angle of the screen. Not sure what HW stands for, but assume it's related to wiring from your subsequent comments. Thanks again.

Oops! Sorry! That's "H"ard"W"are in "which bit of this is borked?" shorthand

-sd

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » February 28th, 2021, 9:48 am

servodude wrote:
richfool wrote:
servodude wrote:

-sd

Oops! Sorry! That's "H"ard"W"are in "which bit of this is borked?" shorthand

-sd

Ah, yes, sorry, a slight lack of connectivity in the brain this morning. I did know that one, Hardware" but lost it somewhere in the grey matter.

Yes, I was fearing that it could be something like the graphics/video card or similar.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”