Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Cloud for me

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Dod101
The full Lemon

Cloud for me

Postby Dod101 » February 23rd, 2021, 3:34 pm

Following on from Snorvey's post (welcome back Snorvey) I would like an alternative to One Drive because MS seems to have taken a dislike to me because of 'security issues' with my account. After I sign in in the usual way it always decides that I need to complete a security questionnaire and then tells me it will get back to me in a day or so and does not. I am therefore unable to access One Drive. Is there an alternative, Google maybe?

BTW I Googled DAV, referred to by Uncle Ebeneezer and got Disabled American Veterans, a US charity; not what I was looking for.

Dods

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Cloud for me

Postby Urbandreamer » February 23rd, 2021, 3:50 pm

I don't use "One Drive", but there are many alternative cloud options.

They just may not work quite the same as "One Drive".

If you have a google account, and all who have an android phone will, then there is google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/drive/my-drive

DropBox is another alternative.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 23rd, 2021, 3:53 pm

How are you trying to access OneDrive?
If using a VPN, try bypassing it.
If that makes no difference have a look at how clean your WAN IP address is - is it on any blocklists?
https://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check
https://mxtoolbox.com/whatismyip/

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 23rd, 2021, 4:02 pm

Infrasonic wrote:How are you trying to access OneDrive?
If using a VPN, try bypassing it.
If that makes no difference have a look at how clean your WAN IP address is - is it on any blocklists?
https://whatismyipaddress.com/blacklist-check
https://mxtoolbox.com/whatismyip/

Thanks. Sorry what is VPN?

Dod

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 23rd, 2021, 4:31 pm

Dod101 wrote:Thanks. Sorry what is VPN?

Dod

VPM Virtual Private Network.

It spoofs your computer as being on a different network.
Private individuals may use it to try and avoid certain restrictions or to provide them with a little bit more privacy.
Companies use it to allow people working from home to seem to be in the office.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 23rd, 2021, 5:42 pm

Dod101 wrote:Following on from Snorvey's post (welcome back Snorvey) I would like an alternative to One Drive because MS seems to have taken a dislike to me because of 'security issues' with my account. After I sign in in the usual way it always decides that I need to complete a security questionnaire and then tells me it will get back to me in a day or so and does not. I am therefore unable to access One Drive. Is there an alternative, Google maybe?

BTW I Googled DAV, referred to by Uncle Ebeneezer and got Disabled American Veterans, a US charity; not what I was looking for.

Dods

OMG, that is worrying. I have always used OneDrive and, being a Hotmail user of 35 years, regard it as the easiest cloud device, certainly better than Dropbox, which I never really understood. Are you signing in from funny places?

I have the normal Orwellian horror of anything to do with Google, but you can simply encrypt everything with something open source like Axcrypt .

The world is going crazy. Thank goodness for cheap USB memory sticks and external hard drives!

Steve

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » February 23rd, 2021, 6:03 pm

Dod101 wrote:BTW I Googled DAV, referred to by Uncle Ebeneezer and got Disabled American Veterans, a US charity; not what I was looking for.

Dods

Bugger. Should've foreseen something like that would happen.

Try "WebDAV".

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 23rd, 2021, 9:02 pm

Just switch to Apple stuff and iCloud does it all seamlessly and beautifully.

AND if on the off chance something actually goes wrong, call Apple and an intelligent human bean picks up the call and deals directly with your technical issue. WHAT a breath of fresh air!

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 23rd, 2021, 9:19 pm

Mike4 wrote:Just switch to Apple stuff and iCloud does it all seamlessly and beautifully.

Forgive me Mike. Did you switch to Apple?

I ask because I know nobody who "switched" in either direction.

I have been forced to use an Apple phone for work, and hated it. As has my wife. Both places switched to Apple phones due to pressure from the workforce, but clearly not from us.

We both do use Apple products regularly, because we are required to, and there is nothing wrong with them. It just wouldn't be our choice.

Did you choose to switch?

Ps, I'm not going to comment about historic or current Apple issues that people don't like. My question wasn't "is Apple better or worse".

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 23rd, 2021, 9:40 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Just switch to Apple stuff and iCloud does it all seamlessly and beautifully.

I have been forced to use an Apple phone for work, and hated it. As has my wife. Both places switched to Apple phones due to pressure from the workforce, but clearly not from us.

We both do use Apple products regularly, because we are required to, and there is nothing wrong with them. It just wouldn't be our choice.

Did you choose to switch?

Ps, I'm not going to comment about historic or current Apple issues that people don't like. My question wasn't "is Apple better or worse".
\

Yes I switched, after sometimes spending as much as a day a week fixing the Microsoft faults that came at me in a continuous never-ending stream.

I bought a Macbook 12" and a Mac desktop and never looked back. Wonderful to find everything, like the cliché, 'just works'.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » February 23rd, 2021, 9:56 pm

Mike4 wrote:Yes I switched, after sometimes spending as much as a day a week fixing the Microsoft faults that came at me in a continuous never-ending stream.

I bought a Macbook 12" and a Mac desktop and never looked back. Wonderful to find everything, like the cliché, 'just works'.

My fault.

I spend a huge amount of time swearing when I have to use Windows. This is posted on a Linux laptop.

I did say that I had to use Apple products, without saying that I had also to use Microsoft ones.

That said, VERY many thanks for your reply. I can claim that I now do know someone who switched from Windows to Apple.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 24th, 2021, 10:56 am

Urbandreamer wrote:

I did (partly).

I wanted a new tablet and my experience of Android tablets was not great, so bought an iPad.

Then I needed a new mobile phone provider and found that Three would provide the best coverage, but if I wanted to benefit from WiFi calling and VoLTE then either I needed to buy an Android phone from them which they would guarantee to work with those services or gamble that a sim free Android phone would (and there were mixed opinions on whether it would or wouldn't depending on the firmware).

Alternatively I could buy an iPhone from anywhere and it would work. I managed to pick up a couple of brand new but extremely discounted iPhones from Argos so went that route.

I was considering a desktop Mac, but I like Windows 10 and Apple seems to have lost its hate for Microsoft and the Windows iCloud app now provides access to my Apple iCloud drive and Apple Keychain passwords on my Windows desktop and laptop so probably won't bother.

I also bought an Apple watch (well actually two), initially a series 3 then sold that when I got a good deal on a series 5 and some Apple AirPod earphones. Extremely useful in the gym (when they reopen) as music and podcasts automatically sync from the phone to the watch and you can listen to them from the watch having left your phone in the locker.

Overall Apple is 'fine'. Some things are good as Apple exerts and iron fist control then developers know that there are not a dozen versions of the operating system out there and apps and connections to WiFi, etc. do work well. On the other hand, the iron fist says 'do this' even though you don't want to do that. I have lost count of the number of times I have wanted to do something relatively simple and the answer is - sorry Apple don't allow that.

Back to the original question - I use MS OneDrive by default, but also mirror that to Google Drive and iCloud with copies on a Synology server so the information will exist somewhere.

formoverfunction
Lemon Slice

Postby formoverfunction » February 26th, 2021, 8:25 am

NextCloud? I've just set up a home based server for my music and potfolio notes/ideas/reports. I went self certifcated with Let's Encrypt.

It wasn't difficlut, but it was flexible and cheap!

I wish I had years ago and avoded overpriced NAS, Dropbox etc.

For external, www, I'm using Tresorit which isn't cheap, but I feel is very secure and private. I can still Boxcryport with the NextCloud, so not only on my own networkhardware, but also files can be encrypted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nextcloud

it's possible to access files via web browser, Finder, ios app/OSX, andriod app and Go.. on most Linux filemangers. Never use Windows, but I'm sure there will be a solution that intergrates if you don't want to use a browser.

I bought a single board computer to run it on, added my own SSD and that's it.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”