Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HP Bloatware remover

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
didds
Lemon Half

HP Bloatware remover

Postby didds » February 27th, 2021, 11:53 am

I thought Id read a thread here wrt loatware remaval programs but the one i found it was generally accepted deals with stuff that isnt actually installed with windows natively.

DAK of a true "vanilla windoes install" bloatware remover - or one for HP specific systems?

I can wade through the various HP named programs but TBH Ive no idea what any of them do, and just removing anything with "HP" in its name may be a recipe for disaster!

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: HP Bloatware remover

Postby GrahamPlatt » February 27th, 2021, 12:58 pm

Just exactly what are you wanting to achieve in removing this 'bloatware'? If it's to stop processes that start on boot and use CPU time, then open the task manager, go to the tab 'startup processes' and deselect those you don't want. The only other reason to remove them is disk space - hardly ever a problem these days. With the deselect method, at least you can always restart them if ever you have need.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: HP Bloatware remover

Postby Infrasonic » February 27th, 2021, 2:59 pm

Another option is to take a full OS backup image (using Macrium Reflect et al) and then start uninstalling OEM bloatware - at least that way if you break something you can quickly restore to factory. When you've cleaned up and got all the OS settings the way you want take another full backup to use as your baseline 'vanilla' image.

Generally HP will have an overall admin account management app that deals with hardware registration/warranty, driver updates, health checks etc and then other apps that are more specific - say print/consumable offers.
I always keep the account admin apps on OEM PC's and uninstall the rest.
If you change your mind all the apps are on the OEM websites, although you might lose the initial bundled offers like free/cheap online printing.
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/products/apps-services

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”