Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Is there any way to stop every windows search being recorded in your Microsoft online account?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Is there any way to stop every windows search being recorded in your Microsoft online account?

Postby Andy46 » March 3rd, 2021, 5:39 pm

Hi,

I'm using windows 10 and am setting up my laptop after it broke resulting in me having to do a factory re-set.

I'm trying to avoid giving Microsoft / Google etc any information i don't have to.

I notice that every search you make, by, for example clicking the windows start button then begin typing, a search is carried out by Bing I believe, which is then logged in your microsoft online account. Is there a way to stop this or even better, change it to use a different search engine which doesn't record every keystroke i make?

Thanks
Last edited by Andy46 on March 3rd, 2021, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Is there any way to stop every windows search being recorded in your Microsoft online account?

Postby Redmires » March 3rd, 2021, 5:45 pm

A good starting point to restrict windows 10 snooping is

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

O&O ShutUp10 means you have full control over which comfort functions under Windows 10 you wish to use, and you decide when the passing on of your data goes too far. Using a very simple interface, you decide how Windows 10 should respect your privacy by deciding which unwanted functions should be deactivated. O&O ShutUp10 is entirely free and does not have to be installed – it can be simply run directly and immediately on your PC. And it will not install or download retrospectively unwanted or unnecessary software, like so many other programs do these days!

xeny
Lemon Slice

Re: Is there any way to stop every windows search being recorded in your Microsoft online account?

Postby xeny » March 4th, 2021, 7:44 pm

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » March 4th, 2021, 7:46 pm

Microsoft and Google log send back telemetry on all sorts of things. Some people are very unhappy about that. Firefox is be better for privacy than Chrome and Edge. Linux is better for privacy than Windows or the Google products. Open source software is better from this point of view because the the source is scrutinised by many eyes.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 4th, 2021, 7:49 pm

xeny wrote:Log in with a local rather than MS account ?

I was thinking of suggesting switching to Apple, but I won't because know that doesn't play well on here :lol:

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 4th, 2021, 8:42 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:Microsoft and Google log send back telemetry on all sorts of things. Some people are very unhappy about that. Firefox is be better for privacy than Chrome and Edge. Linux is better for privacy than Windows or the Google products. Open source software is better from this point of view because the the source is scrutinised by many eyes.

Agree. I stick with Firefox and Duckduckgo, and it all works smoothly. I agree about Open source software. We've used Axcrypt for about 25 years now to secure folders on our PC and back the important ones up to Ondedrive.

Steve

Andy46
2 Lemon pips

Postby Andy46 » March 6th, 2021, 11:57 am

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I think i've now just about managed to avoid leaking data to Google / Microsoft here there and everywhere by using the advice above an watching a few youtube vids.

Thanks

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”