Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Offline map app, any recommendations?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Offline map app, any recommendations?

Postby scottnsilky » March 18th, 2021, 12:10 am

I don't have internet connection when I'm out and about, so I need to download a map app to be used offline. I have been using
maps.me until recently, but it has changed for some reason and I've gone off it. Are there any good alternatives to the ubiquitous Google?

Thanks for any suggestions,

dp

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Offline map app, any recommendations?

Postby servodude » March 18th, 2021, 12:46 am

scottnsilky wrote:I don't have internet connection when I'm out and about, so I need to download a map app to be used offline. I have been using
maps.me until recently, but it has changed for some reason and I've gone off it. Are there any good alternatives to the ubiquitous Google?

dp

I've used a few in the dim and distant past but not since google made it easy to use offline maps
- https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838
- this is one place where I can see why they are ubiquitous

sorry
- sd

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 18th, 2021, 12:57 am

For some years before I had data in my mobile phone contract, I had Nokia maps. Those work without having to be online, though when travelling to a country (e.g. the Netherlands for an event in Amsterdam) for the first time I had to remember to download that country's data in advance!

My first exposure to google maps, on the same Nokia phone, was that within wifi range they were neither better nor worse than Nokia, but outside that and without a data connection Google's wouldn't work at all.

Of course, things have changed since then. Nokia maps got bought by someone and re-branded: I'm sure google could tell you more. I don't know where it stands now, but well worth a look.

anon155742
Lemon Slice

Postby anon155742 » March 18th, 2021, 1:21 am

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » March 18th, 2021, 5:37 am

scottnsilky wrote:
I don't have internet connection when I'm out and about, so I need to download a map app to be used offline.

I have been using maps.me until recently, but it has changed for some reason and I've gone off it.

Are there any good alternatives to the ubiquitous Google?

I've used ViewRanger for years in both an online and off-line capacity - it was the off-line capacity that was the most important to me, and it does everything I want in both modes -

https://www.viewranger.com/en-gb

I tend to use the OpenCycleMap when I'm out and about (other free maps are available, including landscape ones - https://www.viewranger.com/en-GB/world-of-maps/free-maps), and if I need to pre-plan any routes before setting off, then I will use the following brilliant OS-level mapping site which allows you to plan your route in the comfort of your own home, and then download the GPX file of the planned route to then enable you to upload it into your ViewRanger account and overlay it on the VR map of your choice -

https://maps.the-hug.net/

When driving I'll use Google Navigation and an internet-connected Mi-Fi device in the car, but the combination of the above two solutions has delivered to all my non-driving outdoor mapping and routing needs for a good few years now, all without any need for an on-line connection...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » March 18th, 2021, 8:31 am

scottnsilky wrote:I don't have internet connection when I'm out and about, so I need to download a map app to be used offline. I have been using

dp

I have maps.me on my phone but haven't used it for a while. I would be interested to know from a user's perspective what has changed and why you don't like it.

TIA,

Watis

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » March 18th, 2021, 8:35 am

Another vote for ViewRanger. I have been using it for many years. ViewRanger is free on both Android and IOS. You can buy OS maps. Land Ranger is cheap. Explorer is more expensive. You can use the free online maps when you do not have an Internet connection. The trick is to look at the area that you will visit when you are home with WiFi. The map will then be cached, and you can then use it without an Internet connection. I use OS out in the country, but sometimes switch to OpenStreetMap when I get to a village, to navigate through the back streets. OpenStreetMap is a much better street map than Google maps, and often marks little paths that are not shown anywhere else. They are not always rights of way, but they usually work.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 18th, 2021, 8:50 am

I appreciate that the OP asked for alternatives to Google Maps, but.....

If you have the maps saved for offline use, Google Maps/Navigation does not require internet access to direct you while you're out - just make sure you have the necessary map area downloaded before you go out. The app will prompt you that the download will 'expire' after a period (can't see how long atm but it's weeks)

Though note that

You can get driving directions offline, but not transit, bicycling, or walking directions. In your driving directions, you won't have traffic info, alternate routes, or lane guidance.

More details (for both Android and IOS) here

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 18th, 2021, 8:52 am

I've been using Viewranger all over the world for more than a decade, and am very happy with it.

I'm a little concerned about its recent merger with Outdooractive, and the way they're trying to push people to use the Outdooractive app instead.

One part of their website says "All of your favourite VR features like Skyline, BuddyBeacon, Topo Maps have been updated and included on the OA platform." One problem - none of those are features I use and value in Viewranger.

Scott.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » March 18th, 2021, 9:13 am

swill453 wrote:I've been using Viewranger all over the world for more than a decade, and am very happy with it.

I'm a little concerned about its recent merger with Outdooractive, and the way they're trying to push people to use the Outdooractive app instead.

One part of their website says "All of your favourite VR features like Skyline, BuddyBeacon, Topo Maps have been updated and included on the OA platform." One problem - none of those are features I use and value in Viewranger.

Scott.

I have never used any of that nonsense either. I have been using OpenStreetMap and the official rights of way maps online during the Covid restrictions. They are better for finding local paths. It would be a real shame if ViewRanger loses support and the new application turns out to be rubbish. I can do without a cartographical Digital Look.

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » March 18th, 2021, 3:46 pm

Watis wrote:

dp

I have maps.me on my phone but haven't used it for a while. I would be interested to know from a user's perspective what has changed and why you don't like it.

TIA,

Hi Watis,

In the old days, when I opened map.me, the map immediately opened either in my home area, with my house at the centre, or the area where I was when I last used the application, followed a couple of seconds later by the area I'm in now, when the GPS had found me, so far, so good. The last time I tried to use it, the first page was a silly Toytown picture and to progress further I had to sign away all my details and rights of privacy, I decided not to do that, so I can't use it anymore.

I tried to uninstall it, but couldn't do that either! Whilst trying, I read some feedback from other dis-satisfied users who said map.me been taken over, and the changes were not improvements.

So that's why I need a new map app. Maybe I'm just too touchy.....

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » March 18th, 2021, 4:29 pm

OSMAnd is an excellent Android app. You can download maps for countries, or parts of them, and it works completely offline. It has navigation tools and you can upload and create GPX files by tracking your route. Free for the first half-dozen maps you install.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 18th, 2021, 5:11 pm

scottnsilky wrote:and to progress further I had to sign away all my details and rights of privacy, I decided not to do that, so I can't use it anymore.

So just be Mr Nobody, at Not Here, at Imaginary Town and a throwaway email address - isn't that what everyone does?

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » March 18th, 2021, 6:36 pm

scottnsilky wrote:
Watis wrote:

dp

TIA,

Hi Watis,

In the old days, when I opened map.me, the map immediately opened either in my home area, with my house at the centre, or the area where I was when I last used the application, followed a couple of seconds later by the area I'm in now, when the GPS had found me, so far, so good. The last time I tried to use it, the first page was a silly Toytown picture and to progress further I had to sign away all my details and rights of privacy, I decided not to do that, so I can't use it anymore.

I tried to uninstall it, but couldn't do that either! Whilst trying, I read some feedback from other dis-satisfied users who said map.me been taken over, and the changes were not improvements.

So that's why I need a new map app. Maybe I'm just too touchy.....

Thanks, scottnsilky, that's enough to persuade me to uninstall it, so it's gone. Read the reviews on the way out - everyone is voicing similar concerns.

Watis

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » March 18th, 2021, 7:17 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Nokia maps got bought by someone and re-branded: I'm sure google could tell you more.

I believe it became HERE WeGo:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e.app.maps

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 8th, 2022, 11:22 am

Just a quick update regarding offline mobile map use, as ViewRanger has very sadly now closed down and been superseded by Outdooractive -

https://www.outdooractive.com/en/

I'm still getting used to the new interface on this mapping and routing app, and I'm also in the process of trying out Osmand on my Android phone at the same time, which I'm actually getting much better with -

https://osmand.net/

For GPX route mapping and general route-planning on my main PC, I'm still using the excellent hug.net site linked below -

https://maps.the-hug.net/

In addition to that GPX route planner though, I've also started to use SysMaps, which has an additional number of base-maps to choose from over the hug.net solution, which is coming in handy in some situations -

https://www.sysmaps.co.uk/index.htm

SysMap OS Map for GPX route creation - https://www.sysmaps.co.uk/sysmaps_os2.html

I've also been using the following bike-hike site for route-planning and GPX creation when I'm out on my bike (road and track based, so not always suitable for walks, but great for bike-routes) -

http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 8th, 2022, 12:37 pm

Before I had my current car I used Navmii for years
It is brilliant, accurate and very easy to use
https://www.navmii.com/mobile-navigation

Once you have the app you need to download the map (it takes a while as it is on a slow server) but
once that is done you don't need a data connection to get to anywhere on that map
I added speed cameras to it (an addon that cost about £3 IIRC)

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » May 8th, 2022, 5:24 pm

Thanks for that IAAG, as the OP I am still interested in finding the app to suit my needs. I downloaded Viewranger which was OK, but as you say, it is now absorbed into Outdooractive, which my basic tablet cannot accommodate. I downloaded Google I think, but haven't really used it as I've not been anywhere recently. Now spring has arrived I hope to explore the Forest of Bowland and will start experimenting again.

Thanks for all suggestions.....

dave559
Lemon Pip

Postby dave559 » May 8th, 2022, 6:39 pm

scottnsilky wrote:In the old days, when I opened map.me, the map immediately opened either in my home area, with my house at the centre, or the area where I was when I last used the application, followed a couple of seconds later by the area I'm in now, when the GPS had found me, so far, so good. The last time I tried to use it, the first page was a silly Toytown picture and to progress further I had to sign away all my details and rights of privacy, I decided not to do that, so I can't use it anymore.

I recently found out that, after maps.me was taken over and included ads and trackers, some of the developers forked it and made a new open source and privacy focused version, Organic Maps.

(I still prefer the map style, and public transport view, in OsmAnd, however, although its complicated range of settings can be overwhelmingly confusing.)

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » May 8th, 2022, 7:41 pm

I used the paid OS app. You can download maps for offline use, and you get both the 1:50000 and 1:25000 maps.

You can not use it for road navigation for driving though, like Google maps.

It shows your current position on the map though, and you can plot/plan routes, so it's more designed for walking.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”