Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Firefox/eBay

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
88V8
Lemon Half

Firefox/eBay

Postby 88V8 » April 2nd, 2021, 9:33 am

Last three days, problem with Firefox on eBay.

The page hangs up and after maybe 30 secs, a bar appears at the top of the page saying :
A Web Page is slowing down your browser. What would you like to do? Stop it? Wait?

I presume this is a 'long running script' problem.

The site works as usual on IE - that is to say not very well - so it's not an eBay issue.
It's annoying to have this problem with FF, given that I'm about to make it my default browser.

Anyone else?

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Firefox/eBay

Postby UncleEbenezer » April 2nd, 2021, 11:11 am

88V8 wrote:The site works as usual on IE - that is to say not very well - so it's not an eBay issue.
V8

Can't help with the actual issue - though flushing out the browser (e.g. close and reopen it) sometimes helps.

But "works on IE" doesn't mean there isn't a problem with the site. Indeed, historically speaking, that's diametrically opposite to the truth: in the 1990s, IE played a "catchup" game by deliberately violating internet protocols, so that a standards-compliant site and a site that works in IE were two different things - except at the simple "shop window" level they had in common. Worked for MS because their desktop monopoly forced the rest of the world into line, and held back development of the web. And as a bonus, they got the perception that some sites would only work in IE.

Note that MS's deliberate violations also led directly to the first generation of email viruses - because they ignored simple security provisions in existing standards.

By about 15 years ago MS had stopped that and were attempting to back-pedal, but the damage was done.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » April 2nd, 2021, 11:13 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:[
Can't help with the actual issue - though flushing out the browser (e.g. close and reopen it) sometimes helps.

you oprobably need rto clean the cache first for this to be fully effective

shift+ctrl+delete
select "everything" in the top drop down and tick all the boxes beneath for a full job. Then click "OK". This may possibly forget any saved passwords so make sure youve got a note of what you may need.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » April 2nd, 2021, 3:51 pm

There is an anti-tracking feature in Firefox called 'enhanced tracking protection'

On some sites which do a lot of user tracking (and Ebay does do a LOT of user tracking) you may have to turn it off to get the website to work - click the shield next to the padlock and toggle it off for that website.

However I find that when running ublock origin on firefox I can leave 'enhanced tracking protection' ON for Ebay and everything works. I guess uBlock origin manages to block the tracking scripts before they are able to break anything.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » April 3rd, 2021, 9:58 am

Thankyou.

Well, I tried ctrl+shift+delete but it does nothing. No drop-down no nothing. I'm not 'logged in' to Firefox, whatever that might mean. Should I be?
I fire up the browser, it goes to the Duck home page... I've never 'signed in' to a browser.

I tried turning off the tracking protection. Every time I reload a page it turns itself back on again, so the jury is out on that.

When I say it works on IE, I mean it doesn't hang up as it's begun doing with Firefox. There was a problem a few months ago with Long Script issues, but that went away.
Where it falls down now is search narrowing, for instance limiting it to the UK, or Used only. I tick the box, but nothing happens unless I reload the page.

Perhaps I'll try Edge. I didn't like the original Edge, can't recall why.

Hrrrrr.

V8

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 3rd, 2021, 1:04 pm

88V8 wrote:...Perhaps I'll try Edge. I didn't like the original Edge, can't recall why....

Very few did, original Edge is now officially known as Legacy Edge. It's code name in development was 'Spartan' - and it fulfilled its design spec in spades, being an almost 'feature-free' zone.

'New' Edge is now the only Edge, legacy Edge being removed from Win10 by the latest cumulative updates. Being a complete redesign from the ground up and based on the open source Chromium project Edge is now more akin to Chrome, and therefore quite a useable browser.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”