Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Problems after cloning had to ssd

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
jtr63
Lemon Pip

Problems after cloning had to ssd

Postby jtr63 » April 3rd, 2021, 8:11 pm

I have physically installed an ssd into my son’s desktop. I have cloned the Hdd using Macrium as per an earlier post in this forum. When going to start up it fails with the message ntldr is missing. I cannot boot even back tracking to just the hdd and no connection to the ssd at all. Can anyone suggest how to recover this situation.
TIA
John

xeny
Lemon Slice

Re: Problems after cloning had to ssd

Postby xeny » April 3rd, 2021, 8:18 pm

Have you checked in the BIOS that the drive (either new or old) is visible?

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » April 3rd, 2021, 8:25 pm

Did you unplug the old disk before the first boot from the ssd? Things can go weird if you don't sometimes.

Do you have an installation dvd/memory stick for the operating system? If so, disconnect the old drive ,boot from the dvd and it's probably repairable., What Windows version is it?

First the automatic repair may do the trick.
If not, try: (text copied from elsewhere):

Boot computer from Windows installation disc. Select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Line. In the pop up command prompt, type the following commands to fix the Windows 10 fails to boot after clone HDD to SSD.

bootrec.exe

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

bootrec.exe /scanos

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

These may help. Sometimes they don't. Experience says they work more reliably if you boot from dvd than from usb stick.

If you don't have a Windows boot disk, you can download and create one from another computer.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » April 3rd, 2021, 8:55 pm

jtr63 wrote:I have physically installed an ssd into my son’s desktop. I have cloned the Hdd using Macrium as per an earlier post in this forum. When going to start up it fails with the message ntldr is missing. I cannot boot even back tracking to just the hdd and no connection to the ssd at all. Can anyone suggest how to recover this situation.
TIA
John

Do you have the Macrium boot USB to hand? Boot from it, then select 'Fix Windows boot problems'.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/851 ... html#Part2

Macrium wrote:When restoring an image or cloning a HD there can be situations where Windows is unable to boot due to incorrect boot configuration. This article explains how Reflect enables you to resolve these situations.
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/displ ... t+problems

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”