Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

iPhone backup free software

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

iPhone backup free software

Postby raybarrow » April 15th, 2021, 10:49 am

Hi Folks,

Can anyone recommend an iPhone 6 backup alternative to iTunes? Whilst I do use iTunes for iPhone backup I would like to have another backup using different software for the 'just in case' scenario. Windows 10 Laptop.

Cheers,
Ray.

seekingbalance
2 Lemon pips

Re: iPhone backup free software

Postby seekingbalance » April 15th, 2021, 11:11 am

Do you also back up to the Cloud, using iCloud? Even the 5gb free storage is enough for the key things (but maybe not photos if you have a lot)

Buying extra iCloud could be cost effective v buying other software.

I don’t have other software, but I do back up the backup on my machine, onto another drive.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » April 15th, 2021, 12:09 pm

Hi Seekingbalance,
Coincedence? As I type, Mrs B had a call from the neurosurgeon this morning and now having physio to help her deteriorating balance, she to is seeking balance!

Anyway, yes I/we use iCloud. I'm reviewing my tech security. Laptops I'm happy with backups etc, but suddenly realised haven't backed up phones other than iCloud for a while. With Lockdown so much time to forget to do things. We can backup onto each others laptops, which are in turned backed regularly, but iTunes produces an 'image file' rather than details. I though an alternative, of which there are many, might give a little more versatility.

Cheers,
Ray.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 18th, 2021, 5:58 am

raybarrow wrote:Hi Folks,

Can anyone recommend an iPhone 6 backup alternative to iTunes? Whilst I do use iTunes for iPhone backup I would like to have another backup using different software for the 'just in case' scenario. Windows 10 Laptop.

Cheers,
Ray.

As you are using Windows 10, are you aware of iCloud for Windows which gives read and write access to iCloud from Windows for documents, photos, etc. - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204283

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » April 18th, 2021, 7:40 am

ICloud backup has its minuses, privacy and security for example. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but why not just back up the backup files produced by iTunes? It's a pretty easy job if you already back up your Laptop.

GS

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » April 18th, 2021, 8:37 am

GoSeigen wrote:

ICloud backup has its minuses, privacy and security for example. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but why not just back up the backup files produced by iTunes? It's a pretty easy job if you already back up your Laptop.

GS

I'm guessing RB wants some redundancy at the backup software level?

If there is an issue with any of the iTunes backups where they won't restore for some reason or are restored but corrupted (I've been there with Linux container backups on my CB not restoring at all for an unspecified reason), having those iPhone files backed up elsewhere won't necessarily help.

For similar reasons I use multiple backup options on W10 - local File History versioning + Macrium Reflect (OS+files) and various cloud (synced) for off site file versioning.
Even there if I have an issue with the local source files getting corrupted I could potentially be snookered if I don't spot it for a long time - which reminds me I need to have another look at how rigorous my backup test restore procedures are. :)

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » April 18th, 2021, 9:26 am

Hi Folks,
Feel like I've opened a can of worms. Just an idle during my 'lockdown days' that for the laptops I use Macrium Relect to make disc images and Replicator to back up files so hopefully two different software options makes it safer (fingers crossed).
But for phone backup I use iCloud and iTunes but do not have a second software option. I googled and was met with a vast array of choices so was looking for recommendations.

In the early days a mobile phone was a mobile phone and then came the Smartphone and everything changed. I remember seeing a review of a Smartphone that praised or critisized eveything about it except how good/useable it was for actually making a phone call. It's now a computer that can, if you really have to, make a phone call, so needs to backed up securely.

I think I'll go back to splitting my Primulas.

Thanks for all the comments,
Ray.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”