Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Openreach FTTP project

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Openreach FTTP project

Postby newlyretired » May 8th, 2021, 2:51 pm

Openreach are due to build a fast fibre FTTP broadband project here. But they don't let us know how the project is progressing!

They have recently gone round the village labelling BT inspection covers and telegraph poles "WP" with a number between 1 and 30.

Does anyone know what WP stands for?

Many thanks

nelyretired

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Openreach FTTP project

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 8th, 2021, 3:40 pm

newlyretired wrote:Openreach are due to build a fast fibre FTTP broadband project here. But they don't let us know how the project is progressing!

They have recently gone round the village labelling BT inspection covers and telegraph poles "WP" with a number between 1 and 30.

Many thanks

nelyretired

No, but he village I live in had FTTP installed a few years ago. I quite sympathise with the lack of a timetable! In our case a 'planning' team visited and made some sort of labelling of the existing poles and ducts in preparation for the forthcoming installation. The actual installation in the village was some time later, possibly 6 months or so. Then, once the Openreach system was updated for the village to show the availability of fibre, we were able to actually order the service which took another couple of weeks to arrive. We went from 2.5 Mbps download to a consistent 74Mbps :)

RC

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » May 8th, 2021, 4:02 pm

newlyretired wrote:Openreach are due to build a fast fibre FTTP broadband project here. But they don't let us know how the project is progressing!

Many thanks

nelyretired

We had a similar experience during February this year - Covers marked with the mysterious WP numbers, then contractors laying fibre, then nothing. We are still waiting for things to go "live".

Your best bet is to use the following link to track when fibre at your address/number becomes available.
https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » May 8th, 2021, 8:10 pm

Western Power. They own the poles, Openreach have some agreement to attach their fibre onto I believe.

newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Postby newlyretired » May 8th, 2021, 10:17 pm

moorfield wrote:Western Power. They own the poles, Openreach have some agreement to attach their fibre onto I believe.

I think it's TrueSpeed that have an arrangement to use Western Power Distribution poles.

These are BT (Openreach) poles.

newlyretired

martinc
Lemon Pip

Postby martinc » May 9th, 2021, 5:51 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:

Many thanks

nelyretired

No, but he village I live in had FTTP installed a few years ago. I quite sympathise with the lack of a timetable! In our case a 'planning' team visited and made some sort of labelling of the existing poles and ducts in preparation for the forthcoming installation. The actual installation in the village was some time later, possibly 6 months or so. Then, once the Openreach system was updated for the village to show the availability of fibre, we were able to actually order the service which took another couple of weeks to arrive. We went from 2.5 Mbps download to a consistent 74Mbps :)

RC

74Mbs is FTTC surely. i.e. fibre to the green cabinets then copper wires to the premises. That's what we have here, FTTP would be 200Mbs I think

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 9th, 2021, 6:12 pm

martinc wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:No, but he village I live in had FTTP installed a few years ago. I quite sympathise with the lack of a timetable! In our case a 'planning' team visited and made some sort of labelling of the existing poles and ducts in preparation for the forthcoming installation. The actual installation in the village was some time later, possibly 6 months or so. Then, once the Openreach system was updated for the village to show the availability of fibre, we were able to actually order the service which took another couple of weeks to arrive. We went from 2.5 Mbps download to a consistent 74Mbps :)

RC

74Mbs is FTTC surely. i.e. fibre to the green cabinets then copper wires to the premises. That's what we have here, FTTP would be 200Mbs I think

If you're getting 74 Mbps consistently then you must be pretty close to the cabinet. We do have FTTP and could certainly get faster if we wanted but 74 Mbps down and 24 Mbps up is enough for us. It's certainly bandwidth paradise compared with the 2.5Mbps we used to get shared out between the 5 of us.

RC

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » May 9th, 2021, 6:56 pm

Hmm ... if I had FTTP (not FTTC) and only got 74Mb/s down, I would complain like a drain unless my own kit was limiting the speed.
Our village got its act together last year and applied for the FTTP Vouchers that fund the initial installation - the application was 130% subscribed (a good sign!) and the contractors are busy pulling cables from one manhole* to another.

* can we still use this sexist word?

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » May 9th, 2021, 7:22 pm

stewamax wrote:Hmm ... if I had FTTP (not FTTC) and only got 74Mb/s down, I would complain like a drain unless my own kit was limiting the speed.
Our village got its act together last year and applied for the FTTP Vouchers that fund the initial installation - the application was 130% subscribed (a good sign!) and the contractors are busy pulling cables from one manhole* to another.

* can we still use this sexist word?

I'm with BT, I've looked at other suppliers but BT is the cheapest available here. The more bandwidth you want, the more you pay for. I could buy 500Mbps if I wanted to pay for it. As it is the kids have left home :) and 74Mbps is fine by me. Actually apart from the speed, the fact that it's 74 Mbps consistently is a huge improvement over copper.

RC

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » May 9th, 2021, 7:24 pm

They installed FTTP on the telegraph poles in our road over 18 months before we were able to buy it. No idea why they were so slow.

newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Postby newlyretired » May 9th, 2021, 11:02 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:They installed FTTP on the telegraph poles in our road over 18 months before we were able to buy it. No idea why they were so slow.

Under the terms of the Government Gigabit Voucher Scheme they should have FTTP broadband installed here by October 2021

newlyretired

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”