Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Virginmedia (Ntlworld) email problem

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
DiviLuvva

Virginmedia (Ntlworld) email problem

Postby DiviLuvva » May 9th, 2021, 9:34 am

I wonder if anyone has a similar problem and it's been resolved...

A friend has been with Ntlworld (now Virginmedia) for many years. He's had the same "company@ntlworld.com" email address all the time. He accesses email via webmail.

By the way, he's by no means "techie".

About 2 weeks ago he couldn't connect to Virginmedia webmail (account or password unknown). He eventually managed to speak to an "advisor" who told him to connect to a new account which is "initial.surnamexxxx@ntlworld.com" where xxxx is a 4-digit number.

He can log onto his account at https://my.virginmedia.com using that latter user name. However, pressing the "email" tab gives the page https://store.virginmedia.com/unavailable.html which states "Your mailbox is not available at the moment".

Four days ago I spoke to an "advisor" on his behalf. I asked her why the account name and possibly the email address had been changed. She couldn't answer that one.

She said she'd raised a ticket with IT but it could take several days. It's still not resolved and he hasn't been able to send or receive emails for two weeks.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue with Ntlworld /Virginmedia and can throw any light on it?

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Virginmedia (Ntlworld) email problem

Postby Infrasonic » May 9th, 2021, 9:56 am

As an A/B check have they tried to access the email via POP or IMAP from an email client?
https://www.google.com/search?q=virgin+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

DiviLuvva

Postby DiviLuvva » May 9th, 2021, 2:07 pm

I've tried setting up both ntlworld accounts as an additional one in his gmail account. It won't authenticate. A few people with ntlworld accounts have experienced a similar thing, for example:
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Em ... -p/4714821

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 9th, 2021, 2:19 pm

https://mxtoolbox.com/NetworkTools.aspx?tab=Email

Ping the email servers and see what comes back on the reports. I'd guess that there is a configuration issue at their end (and they aren't fixing it with any urgency...).
Did you try both POP and IMAP to retrieve email via the Gmail client?

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » May 9th, 2021, 2:45 pm

Never ever ever ever use the email account that comes free with a broadband package.

Setup an account at gmail or outlook.com and never look back.

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » May 10th, 2021, 10:35 am

ntlworld is working okay for me.

Last time it temporarily stopped working must be over six months ago and that was only for about two days.

I access via the email client in SeaMonkey.

Regards,
ep

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 10th, 2021, 11:27 am

eepee wrote:ntlworld is working okay for me.

Last time it temporarily stopped working must be over six months ago and that was only for about two days.

I access via the email client in SeaMonkey.

Regards,
ep

That would suggest to me that it might be updates to the browser/email client end for the OP's friend that are causing issues with the NTL/Virgin end (that might well still be running older protocols).

In which case try running the browser of choice as vanilla as possible for the webmail access site.
In Chromium based browsers you can allow list all sorts of settings via the URL padlock/site settings. For extensions you can usually click on the extension to turn it off on a per site basis - or it might be a right mouse click to access. Other browsers are similar, e.g. FF has non filtered allow lists in settings. So I'd look at tracking filters, Ad/JavaScript filtering (uBlock Origin etc.) - third party cookies. I've had to fully allow list quite a few log in sites over the years to maintain functionality.

Google are notorious for implementing the most recent protocols for email, so great for successfully sending but not so great for receiving email where the senders end may be behind the times on authentication protocols (SPF/DKIM/DMARC/ARC etc.).
Google being Google they tend to have a 'this is the correct way to do it' approach and expect everyone else to fall in line. Fine in theory but in practise it causes lots of issues (pro sysadmins who have to look after email will often attest to this...).

DiviLuvva

Postby DiviLuvva » May 10th, 2021, 3:12 pm

Thanks all.

We've tried accessing his ntlworld email via a variety of methods: MS Edge on W10, Chrome and Firefox on W7 - same problem.

Furthermore my friend has Windows Mail running on his W10 computer; though he doesn't access the emails using Mail. The last fetch of email by Windows Mail was 27 April; it now reports it can't connect (incorrect username or password if my memory serves me).

It's still not working but I've managed to get the ticket number via accessing https://community.virginmedia.com where I'd found other people have had or are having the same problem.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 10th, 2021, 3:39 pm

Try accessing from a mobile device like a smartphone, sometimes they will access different servers.

Also try flushing the DNS cache at either the browser and/or OS level on the PC's and delete all the webmail site cookies too (making sure you know what the correct login details are first...).

Do a restart (cold boot) on the PC's after the flushing as well.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”