Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Chromebook Convert

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Vince

Chromebook Convert

Postby Vince » May 26th, 2021, 9:31 pm

I've had Windows computers for years, think I bought my first one in 1998, the most recent was a Lenovo laptop that has been absolutely terrible, I've stuck with it for 4 years until the screen hinge seized up, cracked the bezel, and is currently flapping around like a sail in the wind.

I bought a new Chromebook, now retired so no real need for Windows OS, it works at the speed of light compared to the Lenovo, which took 10 minutes to decide if it was in the mood to boot up, or if it required 3 on off switches to fire up, however, my joy is short lived, I can't get the Chromebook to communicate with the printer, the printer actually shows up in the Print settings, but won't communicate at all wirelessly, If I plug in the USB Cable, the printer will receive data, but still refuses to print.

I've followed various Youtube gurus to try to solve the issue but to no avail, has anyone solved a similar problem, I'm hopeful that its something simple and not an incompatible printer.

Vince

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Chromebook Convert

Postby Breelander » May 26th, 2021, 9:55 pm

I don't have a Chromebook, but I do know this much: You'll need to tell us the make and model of the printer to get any real help.

Vince

Postby Vince » May 26th, 2021, 10:06 pm

Breelander wrote:I don't have a Chromebook, but I do know this much: You'll need to tell us the make and model of the printer to get any real help.

Oops, sorry.

The printer is a Brother Inkjet DCP-J140W

Thanks

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 26th, 2021, 11:50 pm

https://www.openprinting.org/printers/m ... r/Brother/

https://www.openprinting.org/printer/Br ... -DCP-J140W
Listed as paperweight - but some of the comments allude to getting it working.

I have the same issue with my HP laserjet pro M15a - works fine with W10 but doesn't have *CUPS/IPP support and so Chrome OS support is out. Unusual as most HP printers do have Linux support.

A possible workaround is to use a Raspberry Pi as a print server https://www.google.com/search?q=Raspebe ... e&ie=UTF-8

*CUPS- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUPS
*IPP - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_ ... g_Protocol

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 27th, 2021, 6:46 am

Just to add that there are third party apps now in the play store that duplicate what Google cloud print used to do (which Google have very unhelpfully stopped).

Vince

Postby Vince » May 27th, 2021, 7:07 am

Infrasonic wrote:Just to add that there are third party apps now in the play store that duplicate what Google cloud print used to do (which Google have very unhelpfully stopped).

Thanks for that, I looked through the app store and found a Brother app that actually works, its slow to read documents and doesn't have the abilities of a windows print command to change settings but so far, it allows communication between Chromebook and printer.

Thank you.

Vince.

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » October 11th, 2021, 8:16 pm

I use a Brother printer scanner too, it originally worked with Google cloud print but when they stopped that I discovered that if you downloaded the Brother app it works just as it did with cloud print and additionally you can scan from your CB onto an email or file.
I have been using CB's for quite a few years now & I love them, very secure, light, no fan noise, battery life is essentially a (very full) day & above all cheap! I don't find Google Drive/workspace/sheets etc to be inferior to MS products for my usage, but I am no computer buff.
My son sets up spreadsheets etc for me & I find the Google infrastructure to be very comfortable for a silver surfer to live with.
If I was more knowledgeable/computer astute, I might have a different opinion but for me it is a good environment to work within, especially as we spend quite a bit of time (in non covid circumstances) abroad, having something immediately up to date as soon as I log on is a huge benefit when arriving at our home abroad. With windows there is a seemingly interminable amount of updating needed if you have been away for a few months before you can start work.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”