Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

chromebooks again

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

chromebooks again

Postby mutantpoodle » May 31st, 2021, 8:55 am

Morning
I noticed a comment suggesting that Windows bits might not work in chromebooks?

as a 100% novice and an experienced cynic I am cautious in accepting assurances from shop sales...persons!

I have always had windows computers but am now considering chromebook as they have such good reputations
I no longer have Office but use LIBRE OFFICE
when I 'save' , the message I get is......
@ format cannot be saved in selected format...use default ODF.....use EXEL 97-2003@

which I do and all is fine and what I need is saved on memory pens for safety....but I assume in Office format

but if I go to Chromebooks...will I be able to use Libre Office and will I be able to open my memory pens with info stored on old Office format

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Re: chromebooks again

Postby Midsmartin » May 31st, 2021, 10:48 am

If you visit https://google.co.uk and seach for "libreoffice chromebook" you find the answer contained in this page:

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-from-microsoft-and-mac-app-stores/

The answer appears to be yes, but it's developed for Chromebook by a third party and is called Collabora Office

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: chromebooks again

Postby Infrasonic » May 31st, 2021, 11:42 am

You can run Libre Office on a Chromebook, but not in Chrome OS.

You'd have to do it from the Linux container, which is probably a bit too geeky for you as a knowledge of basic bash command line stuff is needed to navigate around successfully, and you'd need to set up file shares et al.

Collabora Office is something I have on my Chromebook but I've not really pushed it that far to see what its limits are.
There is an online version of it aimed at businesses - so similar to Google Docs or MS Office Online - but it's paid for only at the moment. It's possible they might extend more of that side to the free edition soon.

It is also possible to run Windows on a Chromebook - but that is currently restricted to the enterprise edition - at some point in the future it might trickle down to the home user (hopefully as it is something I would use daily).

You'd need fairly decent hardware to run all the above options - If I get another Chromebook it will have much better specs than the current cheap one - which is struggling a bit to keep up with my demands.

There's an entire dedicated Chrome OS thread here that covers pretty much all the above topics and more..viewtopic.php?f=39&t=22090

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”