Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Domain and Hosting confusion

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Domain and Hosting confusion

Postby raybarrow » June 7th, 2021, 6:36 pm

Hi Folks,

My domain registrar is 123 Reg. My Web Host was Easyhosting (EH) with our church as the main domain and two sub-domains off that.

Question is about the best way to set up forwarding of email (not domain mailboxes). I had several email forwarders set up, so editor@church.org.uk would come to me, finance@church.org.uk would go to treasurer etc. These were set up on the web hosting site.
Two things happened within a short time of each other. 1 Our church closed, the website was redundant. 2. Easyhosting was sold to Host Presto.
Before the sale of EH they reconfigured my set up so that my personal domain was the main with the 2 original sub-domains as they were. So far so good.

I confused myself as to the best way to tidy things up. I want to keep the domain regsitrar and web host separate. My feeling is that it would be much easier to transfer to another webhost if it was separate from the Domain Name registrar (horses for course). Not that Host Presto has worried me yet, teething troubles at switchover sorted quickly.

I can set up email forwarders throught the Domain Registrar, but to do that I have to set the nameservers to The Domain Registrars IDs, namely ns.123-Reg.uk or similar, but then I have to tell it where the website is. If I set the nameservers to Host Presto servers I have to manage the email forwarding through Host Preto's cPanel.

To be honest typing that out, clears things a bit but I wonder which way other people go with nameservers, email forwarding etc.

Trying to cleaar my mind of website clutter. Any comments appreciated.
Ray

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Re: Domain and Hosting confusion

Postby Midsmartin » June 7th, 2021, 7:26 pm

Cpanel email forwarding works well. You'll probably have more flexibility than with 123-reg.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » June 8th, 2021, 8:46 am

Hi Midsmartin,

I think I know what I did wrong. I wasn't patient enough to let the system works it's magic. That phrase 'It may take 24-48 hours for changes to percolate through the internet", can actually mean just that.

All seems to be well this morning. Websites are working as are email forwarders.

This was for Mrs B's Brownie Unit and if you know anything about the Girlguiding mafia, you'll know why I was concerned!

Cheers,
Ray.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 8th, 2021, 9:53 am

Be careful with email forwarding as you can fall foul of the spam police.
In general it's better to 'pull' email from the host server using IMAP/POP.
If you do it from the webmail settings of the current destination address then it should poll automatically every minute or so with IMAP - effectively the same outcome as forwarding just via a less spammy route...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Authentic ... ived_Chain
This isn't in universal use yet, when it is forwarding will be less of an issue.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”