Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Blocking spam calls from slightly different number to mobile

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Blocking spam calls from slightly different number to mobile

Postby terminal7 » June 8th, 2021, 4:11 pm

My mobile only allows me to block future calls from a specific number. In the last few days I have received about ten calls from a number with the first 8 digits the same and the variation comes on the last three digits. Always the same recorded message etc. Anyone know how to block such calls?

T7

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Blocking spam calls from slightly different number to mobile

Postby BobbyD » June 8th, 2021, 6:00 pm

terminal7 wrote:My mobile only allows me to block future calls from a specific number. In the last few days I have received about ten calls from a number with the first 8 digits the same and the variation comes on the last three digits. Always the same recorded message etc. Anyone know how to block such calls?

T7

I take it you mean without blocking all 1000 possible combinations individually?

Android? Ability to block calls is either a function of the phone, or Android version as I've seen it come and go and come back again as I've changed phone. I'd start by looking in to your phone's native ability to block, and whether you can block a partial number. Failing that I'm sure there's an app available if you'd be less bothered by that than the calls.

The one thing I would say is don't answer the calls, you know what they are by now and answering is just going to keep your number active on whatever system they are using.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » June 8th, 2021, 6:17 pm

On the iPhone you can automatically divert unknown numbers to voicemail. My wife and I do that as it allows through any number in your contact list or which you have previously called or replied to but effectively blocks the rest. Since anyone else shouldn’t have our numbers we don’t want any calls from them.

You just need to be aware of possible wanted calls if you give your number to say an online sales site but it’s not too difficult to be prepared for those odd occasions and perhaps turn the feature off temporarily.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 8th, 2021, 6:36 pm

terminal7 wrote:My mobile only allows me to block future calls from a specific number. In the last few days I have received about ten calls from a number with the first 8 digits the same and the variation comes on the last three digits. Always the same recorded message etc. Anyone know how to block such calls?

T7

Mrs Watis had exactly this happen last month. Fortunately, they do give up after a few days.

HTH,

Watis

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 8th, 2021, 6:43 pm

You could use do not disturb mode in Android and star all the contacts you want to override it for phone calls, messaging, email et al.
Withheld numbers like NHS wouldn't alert though, so that may be an issue.

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » June 8th, 2021, 6:48 pm

Watis wrote:

T7

Mrs Watis had exactly this happen last month. Fortunately, they do give up after a few days.

HTH,

Watis

Same for me, they gave up after a few days of me not answering the calls.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » June 8th, 2021, 6:55 pm

T7

For the benefits of the rest of us, please could you let us know the subject of these spam calls?

Thanks,

Watis

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » June 9th, 2021, 9:11 am

Recorded message stating in very bold English accent that my Nat Ins number had been compromised and I need to contact them immediately to sort.

T7

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”