Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Amazon sharing your wifi with neighbours.

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
88V8
Lemon Half

Amazon sharing your wifi with neighbours.

Postby 88V8 » June 12th, 2021, 7:09 pm

Only in the US, at present.

Article from Malwarebytes which is of interest in case Amazon try the same thing over here.
Amazon smart device owners only had a week's notice to opt out of a new program that will group their Echo speakers and Ring doorbells into a shared wireless network with their neighbors, a new feature that the shopping giant claims will provide better stability for smart devices during initial setup and through possible Internet connectivity problems.

We don't have any 'smart' devices' nor do we use Amazon, so I am just a bystander....

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/privacy-2/2021/06/amazon-sidewalk-will-share-your-wifi-unless-you-opt-out/?utm_source=double-opt-in&utm_medium=email-internal-b2c&utm_campaign=EM-B2C-2021-June-newsletter-Issue1&utm_content=amazon-sidewalk-will-share-your-wifi-unless-you-opt-out

V8

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Amazon sharing your wifi with neighbours.

Postby AF62 » June 13th, 2021, 8:40 am

Nothing new, as already happens if you have either BT or VirginMedia broadband.

88V8 wrote:We don't have any 'smart' devices' nor do we use Amazon

Personally I find it quite handy to be able to speak to someone at the door if I am not at home, or adjust the lights without getting up, or getting a notification if any of the doors have opened, or set the heating to turn on when I am a certain distance from home, or turn the aircon off if a door is open, or have a communal shopping list we can all add to, or play music on command, etc.

And Amazon - just another online retailer, but one with excellent customer service and as an online retailer has actually considered that some people might not be at home to receive deliveries so has put an infrastructure in place with Amazon lockers to resolve the issue.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”