Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Computer Update No.3

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Computer Update No.3

Postby ten0rman » June 18th, 2021, 11:41 am

Hi all,

Some time ago, I asked various questions about upgrading my computing systems (13 yr old Toshiba Laptop acting as a desktop, another Toshiba Laptop acting as backup, and finally an Advent laptop acting as a "mess about with machine"). Computer usage being browsing /email/ occasional letter writing/ slight amout of very basic spreadsheet/ occasional 2D CAD/ database work using a DOS based database/ occasional photo "improvements" using The Gimp. And all using Linux Mint. In addition, as a purely personal (and probably useless gesture) I decided to avoid anything with Chinese connections!

I looked around quite a lot, came up with probably some stupid decisions, eg I don't really like things like Advent, Asus etc as they seem perhaps bottom end stuff. Didn't know anything about Lenovo until I discovered that they owned Medion and IBM, but the killer was that they are Chinese. The likes of HP I think of as being mid-market, so might as well avoid. I would have liked Toshiba, but they sold out to Sharp.

End result was that I upped my price limit, and found Dynabook and sold by CCL Computers. Ok, I'd never heard of them, but apparently they are the successor to Toshiba and indeed are being sold as Dynabook Satellite Pro. And made by Sharp I believe. Anyway, I found a Dynabook with a Core 5 processor, 512Mb SSD, and lots of RAM. So I bought two. And promptly found that they are made in China and are badged Toshiba Satellite Pro. So much for avoiding Chinese!

They came with W10 partially installed, so I completed the installation, and realised again just why I don't want Windows, and then created the backup disks (just in case - pessimist aren't I), removed Windows, and installed Mint 19.3. (Being the latest Mint version that will allow me to use DosEmu to run the DOS based database. I do need to investigate the possibility of using DOSBox, but I do have two years before Mint 19.3 becomed EOL.) And behold, they work.

Now I can't say that they work fully as I don't really know just what these laptops are capable of. There is, for example, some sort of identification scheme (thumbprint?) built in, but as I don't need it, I'm not bothered, so won't waste time experimenting.

Speed wise, a vast improvement. Main downside is the small screen print - I have to keep increasing font size.

So, there we are, problem solved. Not an exact replacement, indeed I will have to keep the best of the old machines for experimenting on, and because it has a CD/DVD player.

Finally then, many thanks to all who have contributed.

Regards,

ten0rman

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Re: Computer Update No.3

Postby GrahamPlatt » June 18th, 2021, 11:48 am

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 18th, 2021, 12:07 pm

ten0rman wrote:Main downside is the small screen print - I have to keep increasing font size.

Probably due to the increased screen resolution. If you go into settings and change the default screen scaling upwards (e.g 110%) then it should look better overall. I tend to run my various bits of kit at between 105 - 120%.

https://www.google.com/search?q=changin ... e&ie=UTF-8

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » June 20th, 2021, 11:04 am

Just to say thanks for the two comments so far. Both will be kept in mind for future investigation.

Cheers,

ten0rman

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”