Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Keyboard On Toshiba Kira Ultrabook Using Windows 10

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
penym
Lemon Pip

Keyboard On Toshiba Kira Ultrabook Using Windows 10

Postby penym » November 9th, 2016, 7:54 pm

When I want to use @ I have to press " and vice versa. It is just a nuisance and wonder if there is anything I can do about it.

Help!

Anniel (penym)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Keyboard On Toshiba Kira Ultrabook Using Windows 10

Postby kiloran » November 9th, 2016, 8:14 pm

Anniel wrote:When I want to use @ I have to press " and vice versa. It is just a nuisance and wonder if there is anything I can do about it.

Help!

Anniel (penym)

Sounds like you are set up for a US keyboard instead of UK.

You should be able to set it in Settings or Control Panel or whatever

--kiloran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 9th, 2016, 9:01 pm

Anniel wrote: When I want to use @ I have to press " and vice versa. It is just a nuisance and wonder if there is anything I can do about it.

You have my sympathy I'm very familiar with this problem having a (different) Toshiba myself. First let's identify the nationality of your Keyboard. If the " key is Shift+2 and the £ is Shift+3 then it is a UK layout. If 2 is @ and 3 is # then it's US.

You can change the keyboard input method from the Control Panel - the exact wording varies from one version of Windows to the next, Windows 7 says Region aand Language, 10 just says Language - open it (whatever its called). From there it should be fairly easy to find the keyboard language setting. You've got the wrong one set at the moment (lets say it's set for US but the keyboard is UK). You can't remove the US keyboard setting until you've added the UK one. When you add a second language for the keyboard input method an 'ENG' icon should appear in the system tray neat the clock. You can click on this to switch between the two layouts.

If your keyboard is a full UK layout and you now have the UK setting as well as the US one you can remove the US one if you wish.

My Toshiba has an rather odd keyboard so I need both. It's almost, but not quite a UK one. Toshiba achieved this awkward hybrid by adapting a US keyboard to the UK market with a few strategically placed stickers on the keys :( As a result I need both languages installed so I can switch to US when I need the \ key! Watch out and test all the keys produce the characters they should when you've changed the settings. Knowing Toshiba, you may have similar 'quirks' and need both.

penym
Lemon Pip

Postby penym » November 9th, 2016, 10:30 pm

You are correct Breelander. I have the Eng UK keyboard and shift+2=" and shift+3= £

I updated the language pack for the English UK but that made no difference.

If i use the Eng INTL then the signs do work, but as I bought this Ultrabook in Australia, I have no pound sign on it, so I guess I have the choice of using the Eng UK and use the shortcuts you gave me or use the Eng Intl and do without the pound, unless you know how I can get the best of both keyboards and have the signs work plus a pound sign??

I note that I have a touch keyboard on the taskbar on the right and I really should use that as it has the signs in the right places, but I am so used to using the real keyboard that I never think to using the touch pad!

it is good to see you here!

Thanks

Anniel

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 9th, 2016, 10:40 pm

Anniel wrote:... I have the Eng UK keyboard and shift+2=" and shift+3= £ ...

Just so we are clear on what we are talking about, when you say that do you mean that's what you see on the screen for the '2' and '3' keys? Or do you mean that's what you see on the actual key itself?

What do you get when you type Shift+2 and what is printed on the surface of the '2' key?

As I understand it the Australian market uses a US keyboard so I'm guessing the answer is the key has the @ and 2 symbols on it but you see the " on the screen when you use it.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 9th, 2016, 10:50 pm

Oh, and what version of Windows do you have?

penym
Lemon Pip

Postby penym » November 10th, 2016, 10:18 am

As I understand it the Australian market uses a US keyboard so I'm guessing the answer is the key has the @ and 2 symbols on it but you see the " on the screen when you use it

You are correct!

On the keyboard I see 2 and @ on the 2 key and on the three key I see 3 and hash sign ( I cannot find where the hash symbol is) This is what I see when I look at the keys themselves ie on the surface of the keys when i look at them without using them.

When I type shift and 2 I get " and when I type shift and 3 I get £ sign.

I am using Windows 10

Thanks

Anniel

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 10th, 2016, 4:36 pm

Anniel wrote:I am using Windows 10

:D
Excellent, so am I. Now I can tell you exactly what you need to change, and how you can learn to live with this US keyboard. First I'll describe your current situation.

There are two language settings you need to know about, a Region one for the language you see and use on the screen. This controls, amongst other things, the language of your spell-checking. Then there's an Input Method setting that only changes the layout of the keyboard. You have these all set for UK English at present.

The 'nationality' of a keyboard is only really determined by what's printed on the keys, you could continue as you are provided you memorise the UK layout and ignore what the key says it is when you type (as a proficient touch-typist does). There are only a few differences between the US/UK layout anyway: "/@ and #/£ being the most inconvenient ones. I suggest you set your keyboard to use the US layout most of the time so that what you see on the key is what you get when you type. For the few times you need a UK key (£ mostly) you can switch to the UK layout with a simple press of the 'Windows' key with the spacebar (and back again when you've done). First you need to add the US layout (you already have the UK one).

Go to Settings - Time & language - Region & language. Here you will see your display language as 'English (United Kingdom). You can click on this name to get to its options. Here you will see: [+] Add a keyboard. Click this, scroll down to find 'United States-International QWERTY then click on it to add it.

You're done, now you can switch between keyboard layouts at will using the WinKey+spacebar. Your currently selected layout will be shown on the taskbar next to the clock.

penym
Lemon Pip

Postby penym » November 11th, 2016, 2:48 pm

Thanks Breelander,

That was excellent advice :D I cannot see how to rec. posts so I hope this smiley works!

Anniel

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 11th, 2016, 3:04 pm

Anniel wrote:Thanks Breelander,

That was excellent advice :D I cannot see how to rec. posts so I hope this smiley works!

Anniel

Recs aren't a feature (yet?) so I'm happy to accept your virtual one. As I said before, I learned the hard way how to cope with my strangely 'mid-atlantic' keyboard. I was please to have a chance to share the solution.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 16th, 2016, 4:07 pm

Anniel wrote:Thanks Breelander...

One last tip I discovered after working through the setup procedure on my own PC in order to write those instructions. The 'United States - International' keyboard has a trick up its sleeves (as I soon discovered)...

Ever wanted to type inflexions, such as ç Ç Ú or Û ? You can with 'ENG INTL'. For example, just type (one after the other) the accent you want (') followed by the letter (C) to get Ç - if that's not something you'd want, add the 'US - QWERTY' instead (as well would work too).

penym
Lemon Pip

Postby penym » November 19th, 2016, 8:49 pm

Just seen your extra piece of advice which is very useful.

Thanks

Anniel

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”