Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Stop Acrobat running OCR

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Stop Acrobat running OCR

Postby Clitheroekid » July 23rd, 2021, 12:18 am

I have a fairly ancient (I think version 8) of Acrobat Professional, which has always worked perfectly well for my limited needs. However, just recently it started automatically running OCR after every scan.

This is extremely annoying, as (a) I don't want OCR; and (b) it slows up the scanning process quite dramatically.

I've Googled for an answer, and I've also downloaded the original (585 page!) manual, but I can't find any way to turn this accursed affliction off.

I know it's a pretty obscure question, and I'm not over hopeful, but I thought it's just possible that someone might know the answer.

TIA for any help.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Stop Acrobat running OCR

Postby Breelander » July 23rd, 2021, 12:48 am

Clitheroekid wrote:I have a fairly ancient (I think version 8) of Acrobat Professional, which has always worked perfectly well for my limited needs. However, just recently it started automatically running OCR after every scan.

These are the instructions to turn off OCR for newer versions, I expect this hasn't change much from the earlier ones.

To turn off/on automatic OCR:

1. Choose Tools > Edit PDF.

2. To turn off automatic OCR, do the following:
In the right pane, clear the Recognize text checkbox. From next time, Acrobat won't automatically run OCR.
https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/e ... -pdfs.html

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 23rd, 2021, 1:00 am

Thanks. I'd found that when I Googled, but the earlier version has a completely different setup. When I click on Tools there is no Edit PDF option, so the guidance doesn't work.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 23rd, 2021, 1:25 am

Clitheroekid wrote:Thanks. I'd found that when I Googled, but the earlier version has a completely different setup. When I click on Tools there is no Edit PDF option, so the guidance doesn't work.

Is there a setting for "Revert to Image"?
- you might need to "Show/Hide" the tools pane via the View menu to get more options available

- sd

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 23rd, 2021, 3:34 am

A quick and dirty way to sidestep the problem is to use your iPhone (if you have one) to photograph the document and generate a PDF instead, using the "Notes" app. I would imagine there is a similar facility on Android/Windows networks.

It is so good that I have been able to dispose of my scanner and have more space on my desk.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”