Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Best map app?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Avantegarde
Lemon Slice

Best map app?

Postby Avantegarde » July 25th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Which would be, in your view, the best map app for my Android (Motorola) phone? There are several available from the Google app store but I can't tell which one would be best. I need one that will give me good road mapping when I am abroad on the continent, along with verbal instructions ("turn left at the next junction, you idiot"). The onboard Google Maps app does not provide me with the verbal instructions. Ta.

Idiot update: my Google Maps app does give verbal instructions. I just hadn't switched it on. Even so, can anyone recommend a better app, which can be used by an idiot? Ta.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Best map app?

Postby tjh290633 » July 25th, 2021, 6:18 pm

In my view Google Maps is the best navigation system because it works in real time.

I was on a journey from East Yorkshire to Sussex last year when it picked up delays on the A14 heading for the M11, so took me down the A1M, heading for the M25 clockwise. It then picked up on delays on the M25 in Essex, so diverted me at Hatfield to St Albans and then the M25 anticlockwise. I had a clear run all the way to the M23.

That's just one example. The real time information that it picks up is invaluable. The speed camera "bong" is also useful.

TJH

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » July 25th, 2021, 7:23 pm

Osmand, it allows you to download maps in advance and doesn't have GM annoyances. No traffic adjustments though

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 25th, 2021, 7:26 pm

Google Maps....and it's free!

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » July 25th, 2021, 9:20 pm

Google maps is the best for directions when driving, and is free. The alternatives are rapidly disappearing. Open Street Map is a better street map than Google Maps, and is also free. View Ranger is good for navigating on foot in the countryside.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » July 25th, 2021, 9:33 pm

I have a gps for that sort of thing. No ongoing costs and doesn’t track you. And mine does traffic (admittedly only via local radio)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm

try Navmii
I used it for years before my BMW had built in sat nav
No data connection needed so no need to worry about "dark" spots, there are still quite a few in the UK
you don't get traffic but
you can add camera alerts cost £3 when i did it a few years ago
It shows speed limits of the road you are an alerts you when you go over
Keeps a journey history and shows how many miles you have used it for
UK Map takes a while to download
https://www.mobileindustryreview.com/20 ... atnav.html

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » July 26th, 2021, 12:18 am

Google maps but also MapCode for finding your location and alerting others where you are, its a lifesaver for passing on an accurate location.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » July 26th, 2021, 8:32 am

Lanark wrote:Google maps but also MapCode for finding your location and alerting others where you are, its a lifesaver for passing on an accurate location.

Hadn’t come across MapCode before, so thanks. And in exchange, I offer you www.What3words.com

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 26th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Google Maps is the easiest to use and the traffic information is pretty good - as an aside why on earth would anyone use a navigation app without traffic information? That is the 'killer feature, to get you where you need to go as quickly as possible.

Waze, also owned by Google, provides more information than Google Maps such as accidents, police, debris in the road, etc. which can be reported through the app by users. The journey routing is slightly more 'aggressive' than Google Maps in selecting routes to save time.
'

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 26th, 2021, 12:14 pm

pje16 wrote:try Navmii
I used it for years before my BMW had built in sat nav
No data connection needed so no need to worry about "dark" spots, there are still quite a few in the UK
you don't get traffic but
you can add camera alerts cost £3 when i did it a few years ago
It shows speed limits of the road you are an alerts you when you go over
Keeps a journey history and shows how many miles you have used it for
UK Map takes a while to download
https://www.mobileindustryreview.com/20 ... atnav.html

Edit it does do traffic now

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » July 26th, 2021, 1:34 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:
Lanark wrote:Google maps but also MapCode for finding your location and alerting others where you are, its a lifesaver for passing on an accurate location.

Hadn’t come across MapCode before, so thanks. And in exchange, I offer you http://www.What3words.com

The software has some huge flaws in that a lot of the words sound the same, they are also incredibly litigious .

MapCode.com it works, its free and open source.

Moderator Message:
Edited by Admin. Clariman

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » July 26th, 2021, 1:50 pm

To be fair, W3W is “free” for individual use, and I think it’s a good concept. Some people are not “numerate”, and recalling three words is easier than a long string of numbers, plus transposing numbers is an easy slip. I don’t (didn’t) know the Co. were particularly litigious, but with something like that as their product, I suppose they may have to be. Whatever, thanks for MapCode - I will no doubt use that too now.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » July 26th, 2021, 5:53 pm

Lanark wrote:]
The What3words software has some huge flaws in that a lot of the words sound the same, they are also incredibly litigious .
Moderator Message:

It's also based on a fallacy from the ground up.

People don't have a problem remembering the odd number or two: for example, our PIN numbers and phone numbers. Three words for your home may be easy, but it won't scale any better than numbers when you try to memorise multiple locations.

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » July 26th, 2021, 6:08 pm

I use waze, but if you want to save data ( I have a low GB limit ) whats wrong with good old tomtom? its £12 a year or soemthing which would take years to justify the purchase of even the cheapest hardware device.

it works offline and can go online for map planning and traffic alerts.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 26th, 2021, 6:32 pm

stooz wrote:I use waze, but if you want to save data ( I have a low GB limit ) whats wrong with good old tomtom? its £12 a year or soemthing which would take years to justify the purchase of even the cheapest hardware device.

But the OP is looking for a phone app.

I've used a few over the years, but now see no point looking further than Google Maps. Its integration with Android Auto is nice too.

(That's for driving. I also use Viewranger for walking.)

Scott.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » July 26th, 2021, 6:42 pm

The very first and only android ‘phone app that I’ve had was a paid-for (£40) version of something called CoPilot. (Not to be confused with the new programming AI). Ah, here it is https://copilotgps.com/en-gb/. Still available then. It was pretty good, even running it on my very underpowered HTC Wildfire S. Still have it, and it still works, as a backup.

Hmm, having now browsed the site, I see they’ve gone for an annual subscription model (mine was a lifetime usage purchase, probably between 10-12 years ago). Still, it looks pretty good value cf a dedicated gps.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » July 26th, 2021, 6:57 pm

stooz wrote:I use waze, but if you want to save data ( I have a low GB limit ) whats wrong with good old tomtom? its £12 a year or soemthing which would take years to justify the purchase of even the cheapest hardware device.

My TomTom hardware is probably 10 years old perhaps more - no subscription, no longer supports map updates, no live traffic, it does have speed limits and cameras but I guess as it's so old now the box is flakey. It can sometime take the first 10 minutes of the journey to find satellites, sometimes it needs a reboot after an hour or so because it thinks I'm off the road. I don't want to swap it for an app solution as I don't like my smartphone so was interested in another TomTom or Navmii solution but I'm attached to my old machine so will see if I can keep it limping along for a few more months. Ebay has plenty of the old models for about £30.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » July 27th, 2021, 6:55 pm

Lanark wrote:
GrahamPlatt wrote:

Hadn’t come across MapCode before, so thanks. And in exchange, I offer you http://www.What3words.com

What3Words software has some huge flaws in that a lot of the words sound the same, they are also incredibly litigious.
Moderator Message:

MapCode.com it works, its free and open source.

An apposite post by Mountain Rescue today https://www.facebook.com/33017506710949 ... 535628679/

❌❌ Callout 37 of 2021 ❌❌
Yesterday we were called to assist with the evacuation of a Mountain Biker in the Innerleithen area who had suffered a head and shoulder injury.

The initial incident location had been established using a popular mobile phone app but this mapped to an area about 1km from the incident site - this anomaly was picked up by our incident manager as the location didn't match the description of where the casualty said they were. Luckily the casualty party had also been able to ascertain an OS Grid reference which allowed us to deploy to the correct location.

We would urge users of mobile phone apps to cross check the position generated by any mapping app with what they understand their location to be and not assume the generated position is 100% accurate.

As an MRT we will always work with the information given to try and get to you as quickly and as safely as possible. Our preference is an OS Grid reference but we can work with any other location format such as Lat/Lon, What3Words, forest marker post numbers, local mountain bike trail names or even a a physical description of where you are.

Scott.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » July 27th, 2021, 8:06 pm

It would be easy to miss-report a grid reference or lat/long digit that puts you 1km away. If you miss-quote a W3W word then the algorithm is likely to put you someone completely different on the planet, and the error is much more obvious. In the same way mountain rescue probably urge you to use a compass and paper map, but don't understand that a digital map on a phone with GPS is probably easier to use, or that people might baulk at buying paper maps for all their walks, so set off without anything. The best can be the enemy of the good here.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”