Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Deskphone for VOIP + POTS?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Deskphone for VOIP + POTS?

Postby yorkshirelad1 » July 25th, 2021, 9:59 pm

Looking for a deskphone that will receive and make calls over VOIP and PSTN/POTS for a SOHO.
Got various bits of kit like a POTS analogue deskphone, and an ATA for VOIP (sipgate), and they're all showing their age, so time to renew and rationalise.

A (corded) headset and speakerphone facility would be useful.
Googling suggests Poly (formerly Plantronics) or Grandstream are respected.
The choice is daunting.

Can anyone recommend a model, or a brand, or a good supplier/website to filter the possibilities?
TIA

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Re: Deskphone for VOIP + POTS?

Postby Laughton » July 26th, 2021, 10:35 am

I'm sorry but I don't know what a PSTN/POTS for a SOHO is/are but we went down the "bin BT" and go for VOIP about a year ago.

We had a Grandstream adaptor with a Panasonic desktop cordless to start with but the Adaptor kept losing the sipgate settings meaning we had to go through the whole process again which was a pain so that got binned. My wife uses a Gigaset SL450H - really simple set up with sipgate, she makes and receives all her calls with this and has worked faultlessy. No corded headset though.

I now use the Grandstream Wave App on my mobile phone and receive all my "landline" calls with this (both around the house and out and about) and make all my outgoing calls utitilising my unlimited minutes on my SIM deal with Three. That works for me as I get no phone call bills. So far (about six months) the Grandstream app has not failed. You can choose whether to make outgoing calls via sipgate or your mobile provider. Assuming you have a smartphone that should give you speakerphone/corded headset facilities.

Hope that's of some help.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 26th, 2021, 12:15 pm

yorkshirelad1 wrote:Looking for a deskphone that will receive and make calls over VOIP and PSTN/POTS for a SOHO.

Since BT is shutting the whole of the PSTN phone system in four years, I suspect this will become a common question -

https://business.bt.com/insights/digita ... witch-off/

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » July 26th, 2021, 1:25 pm

Laughton wrote:I'm sorry but I don't know what a PSTN/POTS for a SOHO is/are but we went down the "bin BT" and go for VOIP about a year ago.

We had a Grandstream adaptor with a Panasonic desktop cordless to start with but the Adaptor kept losing the sipgate settings meaning we had to go through the whole process again which was a pain so that got binned. My wife uses a Gigaset SL450H - really simple set up with sipgate, she makes and receives all her calls with this and has worked faultlessy. No corded headset though.

I now use the Grandstream Wave App on my mobile phone and receive all my "landline" calls with this (both around the house and out and about) and make all my outgoing calls utitilising my unlimited minutes on my SIM deal with Three. That works for me as I get no phone call bills. So far (about six months) the Grandstream app has not failed. You can choose whether to make outgoing calls via sipgate or your mobile provider. Assuming you have a smartphone that should give you speakerphone/corded headset facilities.

Hope that's of some help.

Thanks for the info/rec: all very useful.
Plain Old Telephone System and Public Switched Telephone Network (a.k.a. "landline") and Small Office Home Office.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”