Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

UK analogue landlines to end in 2025

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: UK analogue landlines to end in 2025

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 14th, 2021, 6:21 pm

jfgw wrote:Will people invest in UPSs or will they just drive a mile or two to where they can get a signal?

Julian F. G. W.

When we had FTTP installed it came with a battery backup unit. The purpose of this was explained to me by the Openreach installer, he also said that it wouldn't work because it wasn't powerful enough. He was right unfortunately.

RC

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » November 14th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Bminusrob wrote:
XFool wrote:
swill453 wrote:David Mitchell's amusing take on this subject in the Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-customer

Yes!

"The website continues this theme, characterising a reduction in service, an inconvenience and a tedious requirement to plug things in differently, as if it were a massive boon. It poses the question “Do I have to pay extra for Digital Voice?” and answers it proudly in the negative. But what kind of beaten-down, self-loathing, Ryanair frequent flyer would ask such a question? Do I have to pay extra for the new thing that’s worse? No? A free worsening! Oh my stars!"

I don't remember this being mentioned:

"And neither is the irritating fact that, for some reason, you’ll now have to dial the full area code even when phoning people in the same town as you. "

At least it will bring an end to those interminable 'discussions' about what is and is not the "correct" format for London telephone numbers! Or is that just me? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_telephone_code_misconceptions

I don't see any reason why you will need to dial the area code for "local" numbers. For my SIP phone, I have a "local" number, but I can select the default area code to be used when I make a call to a number without an area code, and the default area code doesn't have to be the same as my "local" number area code. This could be handy if you make a lot of calls to a particular town, evenif your "local" area code is different.

In the event that the VOIP phone service is being provided by the ISP, then they will likely have the setup locked down, and the setup will have the default area code for the residential address applied. At least that is the way it works for the OpenReach installed Vodafone connection for my aunt. So she doesn't have to enter an area code for her family and friends that live in the area.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 14th, 2021, 10:15 pm

Arborbridge wrote:From what I've seen of Zoom conversations etc, it'll be dreadful. There's no doubt my landline gives superior results compared with mobile for much of the time.

Not in my experience, but then the last time I used a landline to make a call was several years ago.

I, like many people, don’t have a phone plugged into the socket even though notionally I have a landline number - but that is only because BT insist I have one to receive broadband.

Why would I want to use the landline? Calls are far more expensive if I make them and people calling can only reach me if I am at home - and even then it is more difficult with a landline to filter the calls I want to take from those I don’t.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 15th, 2021, 9:26 pm

Bminusrob wrote:I don't see any reason why you will need to dial the area code for "local" numbers. For my SIP phone, I have a "local" number, but I can select the default area code to be used when I make a call to a number without an area code, and the default area code doesn't have to be the same as my "local" number area code. This could be handy if you make a lot of calls to a particular town, evenif your "local" area code is different.

In the Brighton (01273) area we have to dial the full number. This is because they decided to start some numbers with "0" to provide another 100,000 numbers.

Presumably the same will apply elsewhere. At least we do not have to include "44" before the number. I used to live in Haywards Heath, Telling a Russian operator that I needed 44 for England, 444 for Haywards Heath and 4xxxxx for my number got a little tedious. The area code is now 1444 of course.

TJH

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 16th, 2021, 7:23 am

this may have been covered before ..

i have just discovered wifi calling via mobile fone.

we have almost no mobile network signal in our house .

switching on wifi calling enables calls / texts anywhere in the house .

that is very handy.

even more importantly , such calls are charged at my mobile provider rates - circa 4p/min .

my landline call rates are circa 12p/min .

a very handy saving .

:)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 16th, 2021, 8:19 am

jackdaww wrote:.
even more importantly , such calls are charged at my mobile provider rates - circa 4p/min .

a very handy saving .

Those figures look extremely high by today's standards.

I pay less than 1p/min, for instance.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 16th, 2021, 8:34 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:

a very handy saving .

======================

is that from a mobile or landline/broadband provider please ?

:?:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 16th, 2021, 9:07 am

jackdaww wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

a very handy saving .

======================

Both.

In the mobile case it's £0.00 within the UK 'cos I have an inclusive bundle.
The other is a landline number but a VOIP service via sipgate. Nothing bundled, zero fixed costs, but low-cost calling around the world. Last I looked it was <1p/minute to developed and some less-developed countries around the world.

Anyway, you prompted me to look it up, and rates have risen quite a lot. 1.18p/minute to the UK, and 1.9p to other developed countries (there wasn't any difference last time I looked). I wonder if that's another brexit bonus? I see inclusive packages are up too: it was £5/month for a wider range of countries than today's top fixed package at £20/month!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 16th, 2021, 9:18 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:In the mobile case it's £0.00 within the UK 'cos I have an inclusive bundle.

Yes, doesn't everyone have a mobile phone contract or package that includes N free minutes of calls?

I know I do and, since I never exceed the monthly number of minutes, all my phone calls are free (unless to overseas).

Also have "unlimited" texts.

Same with data where I have 1 GB or 2 GB a month, can't recall which right now.

The phone companies make their money these days from the monthly contract and not by the call, I thought anyway.

Landline may be different but I never use mine.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 16th, 2021, 9:46 am

jackdaww wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:

a very handy saving .

======================

For mobile calls, the cheapest to make phone calls is 1p Mobile (https://www.1pmobile.com/) where calls cost 1p per minute (as do texts and each MB of data), and they use the EE network. The catch is that you need to top up with £10 every 4 months otherwise the line is disconnected. So that works out as £30 a year minimum cost, or £2.50 a month which would buy you just over 4 hours of calls a month if you didn't use any texts or data.

For those needing more, then ASDA Mobile (https://mobile.asda.com/pay-as-you-go) sells bundles of unlimited minutes, unlimited texts and 3GB data per month for £5, and they use the Vodafone network.

Both 1p Mobile and ASDA Mobile support WiFi calling (assuming your phone offers it - most recent mobiles do).

Given calls made using BT cost 20.9p per minute if you don't have any 'free' minutes as part of the calling plan, and a 700 minute calling plan will cost £7.31 a month and unlimited calls £12.54, then it is frankly obscene the profit BT (and Virgin and Sky and all the others) is making from mainly elderly customers who tend to use landlines rather than mobiles.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 17th, 2021, 11:18 am

Lootman wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:In the mobile case it's £0.00 within the UK 'cos I have an inclusive bundle.

Yes, doesn't everyone have a mobile phone contract or package that includes N free minutes of calls?

I know I do and, since I never exceed the monthly number of minutes, all my phone calls are free (unless to overseas).

=============================

not everyone !

for those of us who make few calls at all , its not worth having bundles.

i spend less than £20/yr on mobile calls.

for those with bundles, calls are hardly "free" ..

ps. this also rules out the very reasonable 1P mobile provider .

i do use whatsapp for my friend/relatives calls , include in my broadband .

8-)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 17th, 2021, 11:45 am

jackdaww wrote:
Lootman wrote:

I know I do and, since I never exceed the monthly number of minutes, all my phone calls are free (unless to overseas)..

=============================

not everyone !

for those of us who make few calls at all , its not worth having bundles.

i spend less than £20/yr on mobile calls.

for those with bundles, calls are hardly "free" ..

ps. this also rules out the very reasonable 1P mobile provider .

i do use whatsapp for my friend/relatives calls , include in my broadband .

8-)

My wife and I have four phones between us, and that causes the cost of a package/bundle to be very low. I added the 4th line - a new 5G phone - in August and the incremental monthly cost was just £11 per month.

Given that includes calls, texts and data, it's a trivial cost, even though like you I use Whatsapp a lot and don't make many calls.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 17th, 2021, 12:02 pm

Mine costs £6 a month from Sky which includes calls, texts and data and the 2gb data allowance rolls up each month so my piggybank is 70gb
My wife's phone is with Lebara at £5 a month inclusive (was £2.50 for the first 6 months).

Don't think the outlook can to too good for the likes of Vodafone if prices are dropping to such low levels?

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Postby granretire » November 17th, 2021, 4:14 pm

Same here, Lootman. Except that I doubt that I spend more than 20p/yr on mobile calls. I have a pay-as-you-go with o2. The charges are 1p/MB for data, 2p a text and 3p/min for calls. The only condition is that I send a text or make a call once every 6 months. If I am out, I don't want to chat to people on my mobile. For me conversations are far nicer in the comfort of my own home where I can put the landline phone on speaker and wander about if so desired.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 17th, 2021, 8:35 pm

granretire wrote:For me conversations are far nicer in the comfort of my own home where I can put the landline phone on speaker and wander about if so desired.

You do know can use mobile phones at home and they do have a speakerphone facility! But using a mobile to make calls is far far cheaper than using a landline.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 17th, 2021, 10:18 pm

AF62 wrote:
granretire wrote:For me conversations are far nicer in the comfort of my own home where I can put the landline phone on speaker and wander about if so desired.

You do know can use mobile phones at home and they do have a speakerphone facility! But using a mobile to make calls is far far cheaper than using a landline.

That is, cheaper if you have a better deal on the mobile than on the landline.

I use the mobile with a headset any time I have a call planned. That way I don't have to hold it up, and it can go in my pocket if I'm moving around - whether at home or away.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 18th, 2021, 6:16 am

UncleEbenezer wrote:
AF62 wrote:

That is, cheaper if you have a better deal on the mobile than on the landline.

Are there better deals on landline calls than mobiles? If so then I am not aware of them.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 20th, 2021, 6:51 pm

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2 ... peeds.html

Ookla, which runs the popular Speedtest.net service, has today revealed the latest Q3 2021 internet download, upload and latency speeds for UK customers on SpaceX’s new Starlink constellation of Low Earth Orbit (LEO) based ultrafast broadband satellites.

Cont.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » December 22nd, 2021, 5:39 am

scrumpyjack wrote:Mine costs £6 a month from Sky which includes calls, texts and data and the 2gb data allowance rolls up each month so my piggybank is 70gb
My wife's phone is with Lebara at £5 a month inclusive (was £2.50 for the first 6 months).

Don't think the outlook can to too good for the likes of Vodafone if prices are dropping to such low levels?

Dropping? I remember the days when you could make money on a mobile contract combining cashback from a referrer like quidco or tcb and cashback from a retailer like mobiles.co.uk and with a phone thrown in to put on ebay for another £20-£30... I was most perterbed the first time a mobile contract actually cost me money.

Lebara runs over Vodafone's network so I doubt Vody will be the first of the 2 to go under...

Currently pay £9 a month for unlimited/unlimited/100GB 5G on Vodafone, have put relatives on to both, but the better value is really determined by need.

But it's not the likes of us you need to look at to judge Vody's future, it's the seemingly endless supply of people who will walk in to one of their stores and say 'i'd like an i-phone 27 super at £75 a month please', and that's nothing against flagship phones, I run one, but at well under half that cost.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » December 23rd, 2021, 1:34 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:You can keep all your regular phones, you'll just be plugging them into the phone socket on the back of your router rather than the phone socket.

Current situation at MiL's is that the incoming copper terminates at a master socket in the loft, with inbuilt ADSL filter. The router is in the loft. House wiring then supports two devices - a phone and a fall alarm base station.

We are moving the house over to FTTP. It would make sense ( and there may well be no other option ) to leave the hub in the loft. If we stick an RJ11 on the end of the house wiring and plug it into the hub, will the phone and alarm continue to function? That was my thought, but BT are agitating that the alarm must be replaced pronto.

Ideally we would replace the alarm, and I am awaiting info on this from the local council who supply it. I suspect BT may prove to arrive faster than the council's reply.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”