Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Laptop repair - advice needed

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Laptop repair - advice needed

Postby GrandOiseau » August 31st, 2021, 12:27 pm

This relates to the problem discussed here:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=30117

It seems certain this an hardware issue given that I've gone through a multitude of things to correct potential software issues.

The laptop is just over two years old and out of warranty.

I contacted Lenovo UK tech support who have said I they will look at it for £30 and then tell me what's wrong and quote to fix it. I can then agree to the quote or have it sent back. If I agree to the quote I will pay it less the £30 already paid. If I reject it I lose the £30. They estimate 7 to 10 business days for the repair.

My question is am I better just getting it done locally rather than using Lenovo?

Part of my concern is all the hassle packaging up and the potential time lags. I can survive without it for a while, we have a PC, work laptops, etc. but obviously want to minimise the time without it as it is used almost daily. But if there are good reasons to use Lenovo then I will.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Laptop repair - advice needed

Postby Urbandreamer » August 31st, 2021, 2:00 pm

To be blunt, not a clue, or how to judge it.

A brand new keyboard costs less than £15 on ebay, but I checked when you did your previous post and they are NOT easy to change on this laptop.
A brand new keyboard and palmrest, which should be an easy fit, costs £65.
The keyboard is bonded to the palmrest by melting the tops of plastic posts that stick through it.

A local repair shop might just replace the keyboard, Lenovo probably the palmrest assembly including the trackpad.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » August 31st, 2021, 2:16 pm

Yes, find someone locally who can do it more cheaply and faster, and quite possibly better, and support your local business as well.
But they may hesitate because they will have to order in a specific keyboard for you, which becomes worthless if it doesnt' fix the problem

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 31st, 2021, 2:48 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:To be blunt, not a clue, or how to judge it.

A brand new keyboard costs less than £15 on ebay, but I checked when you did your previous post and they are NOT easy to change on this laptop.
A brand new keyboard and palmrest, which should be an easy fit, costs £65.
The keyboard is bonded to the palmrest by melting the tops of plastic posts that stick through it.

A local repair shop might just replace the keyboard, Lenovo probably the palmrest assembly including the trackpad.

I'll see if I can get some recs for local repairers and run it passed them.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 31st, 2021, 2:51 pm

Midsmartin wrote:Yes, find someone locally who can do it more cheaply and faster, and quite possibly better, and support your local business as well.
But they may hesitate because they will have to order in a specific keyboard for you, which becomes worthless if it doesnt' fix the problem

Ultimately if their professional advice is that is what should be tried I will pay for it. I understand an exact diagnosis isn't always possible. But hence I am treading carefully because somebody knowledgeable may be able to diagnose a different issue - wiring, connection, debris, etc.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » August 31st, 2021, 3:03 pm

Quite a few independent repairers have YouTube channels now where they show off their skills on current projects - it's a good way of sorting the wheat from the chaff and learning about how much time various repairs should take/cost.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 31st, 2021, 3:23 pm

Google search

Look for "Elan Touchpad Driver"

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Ide ... =1#4268179

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 31st, 2021, 3:55 pm

monabri wrote:Google search

It's not the same issue - my keyboard is still largely working.

Also, I have reinstalled the drivers, etc.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » September 1st, 2021, 5:17 am

GrandOiseau wrote:
monabri wrote:Google search

It's not the same issue - my keyboard is still largely working.

Also, I have reinstalled the drivers, etc.

If you can state the current symptoms someone here might be able to better advise what could be involved in fixing them; that could put you in a better armed position for taking it to someone local (at that bit where they suck through their teeth and shake their head before muttering a bunch of acronyms)

I will say that Lenovo laptops seem to be one of the easier brands to find replacement parts for
They are very common as fleet machines in workplaces and education (both my teenage daughters have them and both have had major repairs due to accidents) - not sure if that's why, or because, they are easy to fix

- sd

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » September 1st, 2021, 7:12 am

servodude wrote:I will say that Lenovo laptops seem to be one of the easier brands to find replacement parts for
They are very common as fleet machines in workplaces and education (both my teenage daughters have them and both have had major repairs due to accidents) - not sure if that's why, or because, they are easy to fix

- sd

Some are easier to fix than others. I was shocked that the keyboard on this model is thermally bonded to the palmrest. The older* X and T series just need two screws removing to swap a keyboard. I just replaced the motherboard on my X230. An easy job and about 30 min. Only two types of screw that all required the same screwdriver. About a dozen screws in all. My, then teenage, daughter replaced the cooling fan on her T420. DIY is certainly an easy option on these models.

The X & T range are also fairly tough. There are some great video's on youtube torturing them by pouring liquids over them, dropping from great heights or running them over with cars.

As you say parts for the X and T series are easy to source and second hand models are relatively inexpensive, even now that chip shortages are pushing up second hand prices.

*New models like the X1 carbon still use screws to hold the keyboard (66 of them), but it's a bigger job to change. Still within most peoples DIY skills IMHO though. But then I'd regard a palmrest assembly change easy on the ideapad talked about.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » September 27th, 2021, 3:43 pm

Had to get a new keyboard - well as they are integrated a whole new panel.

£160. Ouch.

But I do have a working laptop again.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”