Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Best time to buy Iphone12?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Ifnotnow8

Best time to buy Iphone12?

Postby Ifnotnow8 » September 7th, 2021, 1:45 pm

I currently have an Iphone 5s. It is long overdue for an update. Though there is no exact date yet for release of Iphone13, does anyone know when is the best time to buy an Iphone12 (new)?
Thanks

BikeMad

Re: Best time to buy Iphone12?

Postby BikeMad » September 7th, 2021, 3:10 pm

Never!

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 7th, 2021, 3:20 pm

agreed they are a rip-off
now waiting for the i-sheep backlash :lol:

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » September 7th, 2021, 4:08 pm

The iPhone 13 is strongly rumoured for release in about 10 days time so definitely not until then. They will either drop the price, or if its discontinued you will find marked down copies of the 12 while stocks last.

Something to consider if you use Apple Pay is that during covid times, touch ID is much better than face ID. Both the 12 and 13 have only face ID.

Im holding out for the 14 next year when they are planning to bring touch ID back.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » September 7th, 2021, 6:56 pm

Ifnotnow8 wrote:I currently have an Iphone 5s. It is long overdue for an update. Though there is no exact date yet for release of Iphone13, does anyone know when is the best time to buy an Iphone12 (new)?
Thanks

Have you considered an iPhone SE? still a large improvement over the 5s, and likely to be cheaper than a 12 or 13.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » September 7th, 2021, 8:13 pm

Ifnotnow8 wrote:does anyone know when is the best time to buy an Iphone12 (new)?
Thanks

Although you mention ‘new’ I would take a look at Apple Refurbished when the iPhone 13 is released - https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/refurbished

The products are indistinguishable from new as Apple has put the ‘guts’ of the device in a new shell and change the battery, so no scratches or marks, has 100% battery life, a 12 month Apple warranty and is eligible for Apple Care.

The only difference from new is they come in a white Apple Refurbished box.

Lanark wrote:Something to consider if you use Apple Pay is that during covid times, touch ID is much better than face ID. Both the 12 and 13 have only face ID.

Or alternatively just get an Apple Watch then you use it to pay using Apple Pay and if it is a cellular version you can leave your phone at home.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 7th, 2021, 11:22 pm

Lanark wrote:
Something to consider if you use Apple Pay is that during covid times, touch ID is much better than face ID. Both the 12 and 13 have only face ID.

In what way, please?

I have to say, my iPhone 8 (with touch ID) seems close to perfect for my needs and although I can't actually see any advantages of face ID, I can't see any major drawbacks either.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 7th, 2021, 11:46 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Lanark wrote:

In what way, please?

I have to say, my iPhone 8 (with touch ID) seems close to perfect for my needs and although I can't actually see any advantages of face ID, I can't see any major drawbacks either.

I am not trying to be controversial but I thought that my 2016 Q5 was fine for what I did and it was, but having upgraded to the nice new Q5 S Line it is wonderful and I got used to it very easily. I suspect the same thing will happen with the 12 or 13 iphone.

Dod

Ifnotnow8

Postby Ifnotnow8 » September 8th, 2021, 7:49 am

Thanks for all your inputs.

I have had my iPhone for over 6 years and only has 16G data. I have been holding out to update for sometime now but will need to update as Apple will stop IOS update for IPhone 5 in Dec 2021 & also struggling with low data.

I have considered the new SE when it was first released but decided against it as l am looking for newer hardware and plan to keep Iphone12 for long term.... I am of that age group.

Will start looking at the reconditioned ones from Apple store.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » September 8th, 2021, 8:11 am

Also look at Music Magpie. Our family is entirely equipped with refurbished phones from them, and they are excellent, including fixing problems (eg an unlocked phone that turned out to be locked.. Not a problem).

https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/store/cat ... iphone-12/

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » September 8th, 2021, 9:09 am

Mike4 wrote:
Lanark wrote:

In what way, please?

It works when wearing a mask
https://www.creativebloq.com/news/face-id-face-mask-fix

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 8th, 2021, 11:59 am

Lanark wrote:The iPhone 13 is strongly rumoured for release in about 10 days time so definitely not until then. They will either drop the price, or if its discontinued you will find marked down copies of the 12 while stocks last.

Im holding out for the 14 next year when they are planning to bring touch ID back.

The announcement of the new iPhone is all but confirmed now. The invitations for an Apple event next Tuesday (14th Sep) went out yesterday. It's not been publicly acknowledged that it is for iPhone but apart from a slip into October for the iPhone launch event last year due to Covid related issues Apple has used a September event to announce new iPhones for many years so it would be pretty close to a miracle if this event next Tuesday is not the 2021 iPhone launch event. What is not so certain is how long after the launch event the first shipments will be made. There have been rumours of component shortages and possible limited supply for early shipments so that is up in the air right now but I would definitely wait another week to see what the new announcement brings and hopefully benefit from any reduction in iPhone 12 prices as people clear stock.

- Julian

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » September 8th, 2021, 12:38 pm

Julian wrote: There have been rumours of component shortages and possible limited supply for early shipments so that is up in the air right now but I would definitely wait another week to see what the new announcement brings and hopefully benefit from any reduction in iPhone 12 prices as people clear stock.

- Julian

There's been quite a bit of fallout from the component shortages.

I was quite keen on getting the recently released Google Pixel 5a, same specs as the 4a 5G but cheaper.
Google however decided to release it in the USA and Japan only - and immediately withdrew the 4a and 5 from sale in those markets.

Samsung recently cancelled the release of one of their new phones and there were more exposés on the SSD 'secret' swapping of controller chips/NAND memory involving Samsung and Western Digital (both NAND manufacturers...) which seem to be supply line driven.

So it could be that the pruning of older product lines will become quite drastic as long as this shortage continues, allowing more manufacturing capacity to be dedicated to the latest generation hardware components. Bargains may be had although the secondhand market seems quite elevated price wise at the moment. There's quite a few scammers around at the moment too ( Bitcoin miners flogging knackered GPU's / SSD's et al...) - so I'd be extra vigilant buying any S/H or refurbed components that aren't from an authorised OEM dealer or reputable source with a solid returns and refund policy...

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » September 8th, 2021, 6:42 pm

Midsmartin wrote:Also look at Music Magpie. Our family is entirely equipped with refurbished phones from them, and they are excellent, including fixing problems (eg an unlocked phone that turned out to be locked.. Not a problem).

https://www.musicmagpie.co.uk/store/cat ... iphone-12/

On the other hand I *would not* recommend Music Magpie.

Two phones I bought from them turned up in an awful condition; one wouldn’t power on after charging and it’s replacement looked like the screen had been rubbed on concrete.

And their after sales service was shockingly bad, just generic responses. And for the refund fortunately I had purchased through their eBay storefront so when they failed to refund I got the money back through eBay.

And if they are sending out locked phones as unlocked, that just shows how perfunctory their refurbishment/checking process is.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » September 8th, 2021, 11:03 pm

Ifnotnow8 wrote:I currently have an Iphone 5s. It is long overdue for an update. Though there is no exact date yet for release of Iphone13, does anyone know when is the best time to buy an Iphone12 (new)?
Thanks

I bought the iPhone 12 128gb about a month ago for £700 from Costco, about £150 cheaper than the Apple store price. I sold my iPhone 7 on eBay for £160 so the cost of the new phone was £540, if I keep it for 4 years that works out at £135pa, didn't seem too bad when I looked at it that way.

It's a very good phone, you'll love it, especially with the bigger step up from the 5. Go for it.

Julian
Lemon Quarter

Postby Julian » September 9th, 2021, 11:17 am

AF62 wrote:...
On the other hand I *would not* recommend Music Magpie.

Two phones I bought from them turned up in an awful condition; one wouldn’t power on after charging and it’s replacement looked like the screen had been rubbed on concrete.

And their after sales service was shockingly bad, just generic responses. And for the refund fortunately I had purchased through their eBay storefront so when they failed to refund I got the money back through eBay.

And if they are sending out locked phones as unlocked, that just shows how perfunctory their refurbishment/checking process is.

That's a little nugget of solid gold good advice buried in there (and bolded by me). Thanks!

Presumably that principle is applicable well beyond the specific Music-Magpie-via-eBay case described here. I think I'm going to add that to my list of standard practices - if I'm considering buying from somewhere I haven't dealt with before then look to see if the retailer has a storefront on eBay to give an extra level of refund protection rather than ordering directly. I assume the same applies to Amazon so it would also be sensible to check whether a retailer has a storefront on Amazon Marketplace which would I assume then give a buyer an extra layer of protection under the Amazon refund procedures. (Is my assumption re Amazon valid or are the refund protections there significantly different (worse) than those of eBay when dealing with third party resellers?)

Another advantage of going via eBay, if the appropriate storefront is available, is that you get Nectar points if you have your card registered to collect them for eBay purchases although there do seem to be some caveats about "eligible categories" (https://pages.ebay.co.uk/nectar-rewards/collect.html) so not sure if all storefronts would be considered eligible. Not a big deal anyway, the refund protection alone is benefit enough, but thought I might as well mention it.

- Julian

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”