Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Windows 11 available on October 5

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windows 11 available on October 5

Postby Breelander » November 1st, 2021, 9:06 pm

Expect to start seeing Windows 11 being offered to more eligible PCs as Microsoft ups the pace of the roll-out.

Microsoft wrote:Current status as of October 27, 2021 (PT)

The availability of Windows 11 has been increased and we are leveraging our latest generation machine learning model to offer the upgrade to an expanded set of eligible devices .... We will continue to train our machine learning model throughout the phased rollout to deliver a smooth upgrade experience. We will also provide status updates as we further increase availability over time.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... ws-11-21H2

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 1st, 2021, 11:54 pm

I have just upgraded to Windows 11. (I think!) It does not feel very different to Windows 10 to me but no matter. Always the one to be ahead of fashion (not)

Anyway if I am there that is good. I have gone from Windows 7 to Windows 11 in about 48 hours. Amazing for me.

Windows 11 is very fussy though. I have a 4 year old laptop running on Windows 10 but it cannot be upgraded it would seem because it has an i5 7 chip. Otherwise it is fine I think. We need at least an i5 10 chip I gather, (but what do I know?)

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 2nd, 2021, 12:01 am

Dod101 wrote:I have just upgraded to Windows 11. (I think!) It does not feel very different to Windows 10 to me but no matter. Always the one to be ahead of fashion (not)

Anyway if I am there that is good. I have gone from Windows 7 to Windows 11 in about 48 hours. Amazing for me.

Windows 11 is very fussy though. I have a 4 year old laptop running on Windows 10 but it cannot be upgraded it would seem because it has an i5 7 chip. Otherwise it is fine I think. We need at least an i5 10 chip it gather. (What do I know?)

Dod

Well done!

Toms guide gives a decent run down of where the differences are https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomsguide.com/amp/news/windows-11-vs-windows-10

The requirements are a bit of a pain and I'm hoping they'll widen the catchment area eventually; I've a surface book I'd love to run some Android native apps on easily

-sd

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » November 2nd, 2021, 8:17 am

Dod101 wrote:Windows 11 is very fussy though. I have a 4 year old laptop running on Windows 10 but it cannot be upgraded it would seem because it has an i5 7 chip. Otherwise it is fine I think. We need at least an i5 10 chip I gather, (but what do I know?)
Dod

Windows 11 will run on almost anything with a few tricks to bypass the part of the installer that performs the system checks; I managed to get it working perfectly on a >10yr old Pentium.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 2nd, 2021, 8:20 am

servodude wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I have just upgraded to Windows 11. (I think!) It does not feel very different to Windows 10 to me but no matter. Always the one to be ahead of fashion (not)

Windows 11 is very fussy though. I have a 4 year old laptop running on Windows 10 but it cannot be upgraded it would seem because it has an i5 7 chip. Otherwise it is fine I think. We need at least an i5 10 chip it gather. (What do I know?)

Dod

Well done!

Toms guide gives a decent run down of where the differences are https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tomsguide.com/amp/news/windows-11-vs-windows-10

The requirements are a bit of a pain and I'm hoping they'll widen the catchment area eventually; I've a surface book I'd love to run some Android native apps on easily

-sd

So far W11 is working very smoothly and it has a nice feel to it.

Dod

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 2nd, 2021, 9:45 am

BT63 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Windows 11 is very fussy though. I have a 4 year old laptop running on Windows 10 but it cannot be upgraded it would seem because it has an i5 7 chip. Otherwise it is fine I think. We need at least an i5 10 chip I gather, (but what do I know?)
Dod

Windows 11 will run on almost anything with a few tricks to bypass the part of the installer that performs the system checks; I managed to get it working perfectly on a >10yr old Pentium.

But beware ...

"Microsoft is threatening to withhold Windows 11 updates if your CPU is old
The loophole has a loophole

Yesterday, we wrote how Microsoft’s Windows 11 won’t technically leave millions of PCs behind — the company told us it won’t actually block you from installing Windows 11 on a PC with an older CPU, so long as you download and manually install an ISO file all by yourself. But it turns out even that technicality has a technicality. Microsoft is now threatening to withhold Windows Updates from your copy of Windows 11 — potentially even security updates — if you take that route.
"
https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/28/22646035/microsoft-windows-11-iso-workaround-no-update-guarantee

However ...

Non-compliant PCs running Windows 11 are getting updates after all
Despite Microsoft claiming they wouldn't

When Microsoft released Windows 11, it was made clear that anyone trying to forcibly run the new operating system on a non-compliant device wouldn't receive supported updates. In fact, some attempts to run the OS resulted in users reporting a pop-up window that asks you to sign a waiver that makes you acknowledge all damages to your PC due to a lack of compatibility will not be covered under your manufacturer's warranty.

We saw the first official patch for Windows 11 (update KB5006674) being pushed on Tuesday, October 12, and despite Microsoft's threat to drop support, MSPoweruser has reported that unsupported laptops and PCs have successfully updated.

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/non-compliant-pcs-running-windows-11-are-getting-updates-after-all

Microsoft themselves seem to want you to sign your life PC away:

"If you proceed with installing Windows 11, your PC will no longer be supported and won't be entitled to receive updates. Damages to your PC due to lack of compatibility aren't covered under the manufacturer warranty."
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/installing-windows-11-on-devices-that-don-t-meet-minimum-system-requirements-0b2dc4a2-5933-4ad4-9c09-ef0a331518f1

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » November 2nd, 2021, 10:04 am

mc2fool wrote:But beware ...

"

Yes, it's possible, but I'm not sure they will actually do it. They want everyone on Windows but if my old computers can't run a supported version of Windows I will install something else.
Is it better from Microsoft's point of view to have people using W11 with unsupported hardware or have those people leave Microsoft products entirely and migrate to something else?

Microsoft go on about the requirements being for security purposes, but does that mean Microsoft are going to guarantee W11 is un-hackable and compensate anyone whose system is compromised due to a hole in Windows 11?
If no guarantee with compensation, then why the need to force users to require certain security features in their hardware if it's not going to change the liability for any losses suffered in the even of being hacked?

And I can always go back to Windows 10 - I have clones of the original drives and a couple of copies of W10 ISO on flash drives.

My old Pentium has been receiving regular updates, the most recent being KB5006363 & KB5006746 on 27th October.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 2nd, 2021, 10:22 am

Why is Microsoft taking that attitude? They are after all not PC manufacturers themselves so if W11 can run on older hardware why not? s it that it does not run so well or is there something more to it?

Dod

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 2nd, 2021, 10:34 am

BT63 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:But beware ...

"

Yes, it's possible, but I'm not sure they will actually do it. They want everyone on Windows but if my old computers can't run a supported version of Windows I will install something else.
Is it better from Microsoft's point of view to have people using W11 with unsupported hardware or have those people leave Microsoft products entirely and migrate to something else?

Microsoft go on about the requirements being for security purposes, but does that mean Microsoft are going to guarantee W11 is un-hackable and compensate anyone whose system is compromised due to a hole in Windows 11?
If no guarantee with compensation, then why the need to force users to require certain security features in their hardware if it's not going to change the liability for any losses suffered in the even of being hacked?

And I can always go back to Windows 10 - I have clones of the original drives and a couple of copies of W10 ISO on flash drives.

Pass on all of the Qs above. :D I was just giving the heads up that MS might play silly buggers about it. I've got a not-so-old 7th gen desktop I'm a bit annoyed to find isn't officially supported for W11, and wouldn't want to hack it only to find they stop providing updates (or worse) on a whim at some time in the not too distant future.

On rolling back, that's fine if you try out W11 and decide fairly soon that you want to go back to W10 (or if you consider your W11 system "disposable"), but it becomes more of a PITA as you use it, even if, as I do, you have all your personal files in the cloud (G-drive/Sync.com) and all your emails in IMAP, etc. Even then, over time you'll install stuff, change settings, maybe configurations, etc, etc, which will make rolling back to W10 increasingly a pain as you have to reinstall/redo all the stuff you've added/changed, etc, since.

It's for that reason that I won't be upgrading my 7th gen desktop (my main PC) unless and until it will be supported....

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 2nd, 2021, 10:50 am

Not enough, apparently ;)

Yes, you do need a newer processor than your 7th gen i5. The bar is set at 8th gen, any 8th gen or newer Intel processor is supported for Windows 11. It doesn't even have to be an i3/i5/i7, there are Atom, Celeron and Pentium processors that have a new enough architecture to make the list of Windows 11 supported Intel processors. There is an equivalent list of Windows 11 supported AMD processors that includes low spec processors like the lowly Athlon.

In addition, TPM 2.0 is required. This does not have to be provided by a dedicated TPM chip. Most modern processors provide a firmware version of TPM, this may be shown in your bios as PTT (Intel) or fTPM (AMD). If so, it needs to be enabled in the bios to allow W11 to install.

Dod101 wrote:Why is Microsoft taking that attitude? They are after all not PC manufacturers themselves so if W11 can run on older hardware why not? s it that it does not run so well or is there something more to it?

With the various workaround it's possible to install W11 on almost anything. The exact wording of the statement from Microsoft is that "Devices that do not meet these system requirements will no longer be guaranteed to receive updates, including but not limited to security updates" (my bold)

That would appear to be not so much a threat of immediate withholding of updates, rather a warning that at some time down the line MS may want to add code that relies on functions only available in newer processors. If/when that happens it may well crash a system with an unsupported processor, so at that point I would expect cumulative updates to be withheld. At present the situation is that an unsupported install gets all the same updates as any fully supported system.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 2nd, 2021, 11:14 am

Or run it dual/multi boot W11/W10 with the W11 workarounds.

I discussed this off board via DM with Bree the other day after my 'Chromebook runs W11' post as I needed to clarify the licensing situation.

I'm currently multiboot boot C W10 / D W10 + USB Linux - the D drive copy of W10 being one feature update behind in case of a terminal borking update to the C drive version. All works fine with the one OEM license -takes a bit longer to sort itself out after a switch.

I've used it in anger once when my C drive SSD failed - just booted into the D. Other than that it's an occasional boot to keep the D second copy up to date on security patches /syncs et al.

Either edit the BCD via CL...https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... windows-10
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... windows-11

Or I use the free version of BCD GUI app EasyBCD 2.4...https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/#comparison

On boot it comes up with the blue metro screen and auto boots into the C drive after 3 seconds (variable), or I can manually override and choose the D drive - or go into USB boot for the Linux OS.
Change the drive labelling to suit and avoid getting confused.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 2nd, 2021, 11:46 am

Just to add I run the same W10 multi boot setup on W10 desktop machines I look after for others who are very much non techies.
Most of those are SSD C drives that I've added and HDD D (the original OEM drive).

It's going to be easier for them to boot into the D drive and get by in the short term than talking them through a Macrium restore (all machines have scheduled MR full and differential BU's to external USB HDD's - and MS File History on a separate partition of the same drive). Cloud syncs are at their preference - I've given up arguing with the terminally paranoid... :)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 2nd, 2021, 12:49 pm

Thanks to Bree and infrasonic, not that I really understand the latter's post but then I do not think that I need to. I will simply continue to use my laptop with Windows 10. It is fast and responsive so I have no problems with that. I must say though that Windows 11 on my new machine is excellent but who I am to recommend Windows 11 to anyone? I will resist that temptation.

Dod

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 2nd, 2021, 8:42 pm

Dod101 wrote:...I will simply continue to use my laptop with Windows 10. It is fast and responsive so I have no problems with that. I must say though that Windows 11 on my new machine is excellent....

That is the sensible option. I only run 11 on one unsupported PC, but that's just as a test what may go wrong in the future. All my other unsupported PCs will be sticking with Windows 10.

Some of what's new in Windows 11 may make its way into 10 in future Feature Updates. Windows 10 is fully supported until 2025, and the Windows 10 November 2021 Feature Update is due out shortly. Then the next feature update for 10 would be expected around May 2022.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 9th, 2021, 11:57 am

I have now been using W11 for about 6 weeks and so far it is very good I think. Fast, dependable and lots of useful things like a very sensible pin board (for want of a better description). The one thing I have found is that occasionally the scroll thing on the right hand edge seems to disappear but I would not call that a problem just a very slight inconvenience.

Mind you I need to organise my photos. Its built in app is no better than W10's meaning I find it pretty hopeless and I need to get hold of decent app so that I can organise them.

I can though recommend W11.

Dod

AlexisSarah

Postby AlexisSarah » February 19th, 2022, 4:02 pm

Windows 11 is a significant upgrade over Windows 10. Microsoft has been working on some significant enhancements, particularly in terms of performance and security.

The user experience has also been improved, with newly curved window corners, elegant translucent design accents, snap layouts, and widgets. Because of the android app capabilities, focus sessions in the clock app, and PC gaming upgrades, the user experience will be much improved.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 19th, 2022, 6:28 pm

AlexisSarah wrote:Windows 11 is a significant upgrade over Windows 10. Microsoft has been working on some significant enhancements, particularly in terms of performance and security.

The user experience has also been improved, with newly curved window corners, elegant translucent design accents, snap layouts, and widgets. Because of the android app capabilities, focus sessions in the clock app, and PC gaming upgrades, the user experience will be much improved.

Funny thing that. I can't say I have noticed anything significant that's different.

martinc
Lemon Pip

Postby martinc » February 20th, 2022, 1:54 pm

There is now a new Notepad which does multi-level undo, which is nice. It also does 'dark mode', which seems to be an obsession with some people. Am I the only person who likes black on white for reading? We had white on black in the days of dumb terminals so it seems like a step backwards. It's a choice at the moment but so many people like it maybe it will be the new default.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » February 20th, 2022, 2:01 pm

martinc wrote:There is now a new Notepad which does multi-level undo, which is nice. It also does 'dark mode', which seems to be an obsession with some people. Am I the only person who likes black on white for reading? We had white on black in the days of dumb terminals so it seems like a step backwards. It's a choice at the moment but so many people like it maybe it will be the new default.

Notepad has been updated, the new Notepad for Windows 11 is now a UWP app and is delivered through the Store. The venerable MS Paint has also had a similar makeover.

There is no sign that either of these are being made available for Windows 10, but that doesn't necessarily mean it won't ever happen.

As for dark mode, from forum discussions I've seen I think user preferences are split about 50-50. I prefer dark text on a light background, but many find dark mode easier on the eye, especially older eyes.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 20th, 2022, 2:07 pm

AlexisSarah wrote:Windows 11 is a significant upgrade over Windows 10. Microsoft has been working on some significant enhancements, particularly in terms of performance and security.

I genuinely do not understand any of that and certainly this business about curved window corners? The corners on my screen are still as square as they ever were.

Dod

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”