Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Seven to eleven?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
88V8
Lemon Half

Seven to eleven?

Postby 88V8 » October 4th, 2021, 3:52 pm

So, I believe W11 is launched tomorrow.
I've still not migrated from W7. Our nigh 10yo PC is running OK since I upgraded to 8GB of memory.

I'm thinking to do what I did with Vista and W8, and give W10 a miss.

Buy a new PC with W11 loaded.

How long would you say before W11 will be bug-free and stable, and not need the boffindom that I so admire on here to run it?

V8

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Seven to eleven?

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 4th, 2021, 3:58 pm

88V8 wrote:
How long would you say before W11 will be bug-free and stable, and not need the boffindom that I so admire on here to run it?

V8

Just before Windows 12 is announced.

RC

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 4th, 2021, 4:03 pm

As MS are being much more restrictive about the hardware that will officially run W11 then hopefully the reduced variance will decrease the amount of issues that crop up with the updates.

Having said that I have friends who use Apple hardware exclusively (professionally) and they tremble in their boots every time there's a major software upgrade - so even in a closed hardware/firmware/software environment it's still a game of chance.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 4th, 2021, 4:06 pm

88V8 wrote:So, I believe W11 is launched tomorrow.
I've still not migrated from W7. Our nigh 10yo PC is running OK since I upgraded to 8GB of memory.

Two things....

A PC that old will not meet the hardware requirements for Windows 11. The processor will be older than an 8th gen Intel, if it has TPM it's almost certainly be TPM 1.2 (2.0 is required) and the bios will be Legacy (UEFI bios with secure boot required).

As Windows 7 is out of support now, Microsoft have not provided an upgrade path from Windows 7 direct to Windows 11 that will allow you to keep installed apps. Only the upgrade to Windows 10 supports upgrading from Windows 7 and will gain a digital licence for Windows 10 (which BTW is also valid for Windows 11).

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 4th, 2021, 4:21 pm

88V8 wrote:I'm thinking to do what I did with Vista and W8, and give W10 a miss.

If you want to upgrade to Windows 11 keeping all your installed apps and files then you'd have to upgrade to Windows 10 first, then upgrade from that to Windows 11.

From the very first Insiders Beta release Windows 11 has been remarkably stable.

I've been running Windows 11 for two months now, since the Insider preview was first released. I'm not an Insider, but I got an ISO from Microsoft with the help of UUPDump. I used it to upgrade a copy of my 'main machine' and have been using W11 for my usual daily tasks. Everything works just as it did in W10.

My 'main machine' laptop is also over 10 years old. For Windows 11 I bought a used laptop from CashConverters, less than 1 year old, that does meet the minimum specs. I used Macrium Reflect to restore a system image from my main laptop to it, then upgraded that to Windows 11.

I have now wiped that 'test run' from the new laptop, repeated the migration of a W10 system image, and am now waiting for Windows Update to offer the upgrade from W10 to W11. I'm hoping that being a relatively new machine (it's still a current model) it will be one of the first to see the offer. But you never can tell with Microsoft's phased roll-outs ;)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”