Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Remove a Recycle Bin

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Remove a Recycle Bin

Postby mc2fool » October 5th, 2021, 4:38 pm

Having difficulty framing a search for what I want to do without being overwhelmed by more basic results, so hoping someone here might know the answer... :)

Win10: I've moved my Videos Captures folder to my NAS drive, doing so by the proper means (right-click, Properties, Location, Move...).

All fine and good in itself, Game Bar captures go there and all works fine. However, a $RECYCLE.BIN folder has appeared in the NAS Capture folder, and as the NAS itself already has a recycle bin ("trashbox"), I don't need that and I'd like to get rid of it.

Ok, so right-click on the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop and select Properties, and the Captures folder is there as a Recycle Bin, so I select that and select "Don't move files to the Recycle Bin..." for that location and OK that.

All fine and good, files deleted from the NAS Capture folder no longer go into the recycle bin, but instead go to the NAS's "trashbox".

But there is still the $RECYCLE.BIN folder, and if I delete that then wherever I delete a file from the NAS Capture folder the $RECYCLE.BIN folder reappears, even though the deleted file doesn't go into it. And the Captures folder still appears in the Recycle Bin Properties list too, which I guess is actually the crux of the problem.

So, the question is, does anyone know how can I get rid of that recycle bin, the NAS Capture folder one, from the system altogether? And hopefully the reappearing but unused $RECYCLE.BIN folder there too...

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Remove a Recycle Bin

Postby didds » October 5th, 2021, 5:22 pm

is there a technical reason for it not to exist at all?

Because if nothing is ever going to be put in it then its effective size is a very few bytes which will make zero difference overall. And if its not it can be marked as "invisible" ier wont be listed as a distraction in "normal" file viewing etc ?

didds

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » October 5th, 2021, 6:15 pm

You only see this folder if you have ticked the box for "view hidden files" in explorer. The best fix is to untick the box, and you just won't see them any more. They are system generated things; it's futile trying to control them!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 5th, 2021, 7:07 pm

didds wrote:is there a technical reason for it not to exist at all?

No, I just find it annoying that I can't get rid of it. :D

Midsmartin wrote:You only see this folder if you have ticked the box for "view hidden files" in explorer.

Yep, I've always run with that on, since time immemorial. I like to see what's really in my directories. ;)

However in this case it doesn't make any difference. It's on a non-Windows NAS drive and those properties don't seem to exist/make any difference.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 6th, 2021, 2:41 pm

Can't you just send the unwanted recycle bin to to the wanted one?... :twisted:

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 6th, 2021, 2:45 pm

Midsmartin wrote:You only see this folder if you have ticked the box for "view hidden files" in explorer. The best fix is to untick the box, and you just won't see them any more. They are system generated things; it's futile trying to control them!

That's a bit like the ostrich head in the sand approach, from the supposed habit of them hiding when faced with attack by predators
If you can't see it, it is still there :lol:

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 6th, 2021, 3:39 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Can't you just send the unwanted recycle bin to to the wanted one?... :twisted:

Yep! But the unwanted one then reappears the next time I delete a file in that directory... :(

production100
2 Lemon pips

Postby production100 » October 6th, 2021, 3:48 pm

Does this not work?

Select the Start  button, then select Settings .

Select Personalization > Themes > Desktop icon settings.

Select the RecycleBin check box > Apply.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » October 6th, 2021, 3:48 pm

"That's a bit like the ostrich head in the sand approach,"
Yes, but I'm pretty sure it's the only approach that will work. Hence the reason the world is full of unstressed ostriches, unconcerned by the ugly rubbish bin in the corner that they can't see any more.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 6th, 2021, 4:45 pm

production100 wrote:Does this not work?

That's for putting a Recycle BIn icon on the desktop but that's not the issue; see the OP. ;)

Midsmartin wrote:"That's a bit like the ostrich head in the sand approach,"
Yes, but I'm pretty sure it's the only approach that will work.

But it doesn't work (even if I wanted that). As already explained, the directory is on a NAS (running some flavour of Unix) which doesn't have Windows hidden properties for files/folders.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 6th, 2021, 4:59 pm

mc2fool wrote:But it doesn't work (even if I wanted that). As already explained, the directory is on a NAS (running some flavour of Unix) which doesn't have Windows hidden properties for files/folders.

I don't have one to try, but Googling finds an instruction that may help.

Control Panel -> Shared Folder -> [FOLDER_YOU_NEED] -> 'Edit' button -> Uncheck 'Enable Recycle Bin' on General tab.

Any good?

Scott.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 6th, 2021, 5:07 pm

swill453 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:But it doesn't work (even if I wanted that). As already explained, the directory is on a NAS (running some flavour of Unix) which doesn't have Windows hidden properties for files/folders.

Control Panel -> Shared Folder -> [FOLDER_YOU_NEED] -> 'Edit' button -> Uncheck 'Enable Recycle Bin' on General tab.

Umm...Control Panel on W10 doesn't have a Shared Folder option, but it sounds interesting ... can you post the link to where you found that please?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 6th, 2021, 5:09 pm

mc2fool wrote:
swill453 wrote:

Umm...Control Panel on W10 doesn't have a Shared Folder option, but it sounds interesting ... can you post the link to where you found that please?

It was here https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/125369

Result of a Google for

remove "$RECYCLE.BIN" on NAS

Scott.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 6th, 2021, 5:22 pm

swill453 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
swill453 wrote:I don't have one to try, but Googling finds an instruction that may help.

It was here https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/125369

Result of a Google for

remove "$RECYCLE.BIN" on NAS

Scott.

Ah, that's the control panel on and for a Synology NAS ... image here: https://ethancbanks.com/synology-runnin ... cycle-bin/ ... however my NAS is a Buffalo. (And in any case, it refers to the NAS recycle bin, not a Windows one). Genuine thanks for the try though. :D

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » October 6th, 2021, 10:03 pm

In a fit of pure malice, I wondered what would happen if one deleted the $RECYCLE. BIN; it would result in $RECYCLE. BIN being moved to the recycle bin...
OK - I know it is hidden and protected folder but thoughts of the oozlum bird come to mind.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 6th, 2021, 11:49 pm

stewamax wrote:In a fit of pure malice, I wondered what would happen if one deleted the $RECYCLE. BIN; it would result in $RECYCLE. BIN being moved to the recycle bin...
OK - I know it is hidden and protected folder but thoughts of the oozlum bird come to mind.

Ah the old fork bomb gets me everytime!

Actually I did have a windows machine on a FAT drive that went oozlum trying to write a system error log message to the effect that the system error log had become too big for the drive
- I gave it a good slap when I realised how silly it was being

- sd

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 6th, 2021, 11:51 pm

stewamax wrote:In a fit of pure malice, I wondered what would happen if one deleted the $RECYCLE. BIN; it would result in $RECYCLE. BIN being moved to the recycle bin...

It results in it (and its contents) being moved the NAS's "trashbox", but as I said in the OP, when I next delete a file from the NAS Capture folder the $RECYCLE.BIN folder reappears, even if the deleted file doesn't go into it.

stewamax wrote:OK - I know it is hidden and protected folder ...

No, as already explained, the directory is on a some-flavour-of-Unix NAS and doesn't have those Windows properties for files/folders.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 7th, 2021, 10:29 am

It seems a bit overkill but if you really don't want to see the $RECYCLE. BIN on your NAS then perhaps a script with a FileSystemWatcher set to start on boot would remove it from your view.

RC

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 7th, 2021, 10:55 am

I assume the $RECYCLE. BIN is in the top level of the drive, as would be normal? So another way of avoiding seeing it would be to not look at it :-)

Seriously, I mean set your Captures folder to be a subdirectory of the NAS, rather than the NAS itself.

Scott.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 7th, 2021, 12:19 pm

swill453 wrote:I assume the $RECYCLE. BIN is in the top level of the drive, as would be normal? So another way of avoiding seeing it would be to not look at it :-)

Seriously, I mean set your Captures folder to be a subdirectory of the NAS, rather than the NAS itself.

No, the $RECYCLE.BIN is in the Captures folder, and that already is a subdirectory, \\NAS\Media\Captures actually.

ReformedCharacter wrote:It seems a bit overkill but if you really don't want to see the $RECYCLE. BIN on your NAS then perhaps a script with a FileSystemWatcher set to start on boot would remove it from your view.

The techie in me is curious and wants to ask for details. ;)

However, the $RECYCLE.BIN folder is actually just a by product of the real issue, being that Windows has the NAS Capture folder as a recycle bin location at all, i.e. in the list if you right click on the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop and select Properties.

So the question is, how to get rid of it from the system altogether? (It's most likely a registry hack, but I've yet to find the relevant keys...)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”