Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Apple AirPods Pro

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Steveam
Lemon Slice

Apple AirPods Pro

Postby Steveam » October 11th, 2021, 9:51 am

After much hesitation I bought a set of the latest AirPods Pro.

I do have an iPhone 13 Pro having just recently upgraded.

I’m amazed at how good these AirPods are to use. They have noise cancellation and transparency modes. I use them for my daily walk and listening to music or podcasts. They connect easily to the phone (no fiddling about) and then allow you to check the size and fit of the silicone ear pieces (three sizes are provided). They work well with Siri (Apple’s voice assistant). The AirPods have a microphone and I’ve made and received calls while wearing the AirPods and I’ve been amazed at how good the sound quality has been for both parties. The charging case is neat and fits in a pocket with no problem.

All in all an excellent pair of ear pods and work well. Not cheap but Apple are never cheap. There may well be alternatives and I didn’t do any research.

Best wishes,

Steve

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Re: Apple AirPods Pro

Postby simoan » October 11th, 2021, 10:03 am

Steveam wrote:After much hesitation I bought a set of the latest AirPods Pro.

I do have an iPhone 13 Pro having just recently upgraded.

I’m amazed at how good these AirPods are to use. They have noise cancellation and transparency modes. I use them for my daily walk and listening to music or podcasts. They connect easily to the phone (no fiddling about) and then allow you to check the size and fit of the silicone ear pieces (three sizes are provided). They work well with Siri (Apple’s voice assistant). The AirPods have a microphone and I’ve made and received calls while wearing the AirPods and I’ve been amazed at how good the sound quality has been for both parties. The charging case is neat and fits in a pocket with no problem.

All in all an excellent pair of ear pods and work well. Not cheap but Apple are never cheap. There may well be alternatives and I didn’t do any research.

Best wishes,

Steve

FWIW A few months ago I bought the Panasonic RS500WE-K noise cancelling earbuds which retail for just under £100. The sound quality is really excellent (I can't imagine the Apple one's would really be any better) but the fit in the ear is not great and so I wouldn't recommend them for doing exercise e.g. running. I use them when I'm doing jobs in and around the house, for which they're fine and work really well, and a lot cheaper than AirPods. The Bluetooth connection is pretty strong with my iPhone 12 and I can leave the phone anywhere in the house without the connection dropping out.

All the best, Si

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 11th, 2021, 10:13 am

Currys are currently doing an offer of certain Chromebooks with free Google Pixel A earbuds (£99 normally).
There's even some discounted offers with the free earbuds or 3 months @ 0% finance.

Pixel buds are not quite as technically sophisticated as the Apple buds but free is free!
Reviews here...https://www.google.com/search?q=pixel+b ... e&ie=UTF-8

Currys link here..https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/chromeboo ... teria.html

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 17th, 2022, 6:51 pm

Something I only discovered recently with AirPods is that if you have had your hearing tested and have an audiogram of the results then you can enter the details from it into the Accessibility settings on your iPhone and it will then adjust the sound of music, phone calls, etc. to take account of where your hearing is no longer as sensitive.

And if you haven’t had a professional test done, then you can use the iPhone Health app with AirPods (pro only I think) to test your hearing and generate an audiogram which you can automatically apply in the Accessibility settings.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211218

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 18th, 2022, 4:40 am

AF62 wrote:Something I only discovered recently with AirPods is that if you have had your hearing tested and have an audiogram of the results then you can enter the details from it into the Accessibility settings on your iPhone and it will then adjust the sound of music, phone calls, etc. to take account of where your hearing is no longer as sensitive.

And if you haven’t had a professional test done, then you can use the iPhone Health app with AirPods (pro only I think) to test your hearing and generate an audiogram which you can automatically apply in the Accessibility settings.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211218

Do you think it improves the listening experience for you?

I've found such stuff to be horrendously over-compensatory

First time I tried it was on a prototype of the Nuraphones and it made the equalisation horrendous.
Possibly because they use auto acoustic emissions to adjust the response and that part of my hearing just isn't reflecting much so they keep ramping it up?
Or because my hearing loss is heavily asymmetric and I've had 15+ years getting used to how stuff is meant to sound on SE-535s?

Might work well for standard symmetrical aging high end tail off, but then you can tweak that easily yourself.

Still it's fascinating stuff how they do the testing
-sd

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 18th, 2022, 10:23 am

servodude wrote:Do you think it improves the listening experience for you?

Yes, yes I think it does.

servodude wrote:I've found such stuff to be horrendously over-compensatory

For context of my answers, I am probably the last person you should ask about anything 'HiFi' related as I am definitely not an audiophile :oops:

Anyway, my hearing is not terrible just the usual fall off at higher frequencies that you would expect of the average 60 year old, with a bit of tinnitus as well, although the iPhone test showed the right ear was slightly poorer than the left at the 1kHz test.

When I applied the adjustment it sounded quite natural (at least to me).

For example on the start of Take Five without the adjustment the snare and kick drums overwhelm the cymbal and high hat because of the higher frequencies of the latter are lost to me, but with the adjustment it balances everything up - but not in a way that I would notice what it had done. It just sounded 'right' to me. And in louder sections of tracks the adjustment didn't seem to be overwhelming with it being hardly noticeable between turning it on and off, so it clearly isn't just a blanket 'boost the higher frequencies'.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 19th, 2022, 2:25 am

AF62 wrote:
servodude wrote:Do you think it improves the listening experience for you?

Yes, yes I think it does.

servodude wrote:I've found such stuff to be horrendously over-compensatory

For context of my answers, I am probably the last person you should ask about anything 'HiFi' related as I am definitely not an audiophile :oops:

Anyway, my hearing is not terrible just the usual fall off at higher frequencies that you would expect of the average 60 year old, with a bit of tinnitus as well, although the iPhone test showed the right ear was slightly poorer than the left at the 1kHz test.

When I applied the adjustment it sounded quite natural (at least to me).

For example on the start of Take Five without the adjustment the snare and kick drums overwhelm the cymbal and high hat because of the higher frequencies of the latter are lost to me, but with the adjustment it balances everything up - but not in a way that I would notice what it had done. It just sounded 'right' to me. And in louder sections of tracks the adjustment didn't seem to be overwhelming with it being hardly noticeable between turning it on and off, so it clearly isn't just a blanket 'boost the higher frequencies'.

That sounds like it's working well for you; and congratulations on such an excellent description (clear without any cork sniffing :) )

I'm going to have to try and dig out how the airpods perform the test. The Nuraphones do it via catching the response of your ear to short chirp signals (speakers and microphones being the same thing at different ends) but they've built their hardware from the ground up to do that.

I think part of the problem with trying to adjust for my hearing (I look like a left handed rifleman with a brain tumor[1]) is that doing so pushes the rest of the signal on one ear so far away from the other that together they become really unnatural; if you hit the budgie under the wallpaper with a hammer it pops up elsewhere.

-sd

[1] - both things the doc ruled out quickly

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”