Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

encrypted DNS traffic

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

encrypted DNS traffic

Postby newlyretired » December 22nd, 2021, 1:27 pm

I’m seeing a new message on my iPad and iPhone when I look at the Wi-Fi setting:

“Privacy Warning
This network is blocking encrypted DNS traffic.

The names of websites and other servers your device accesses on this network may be monitored and recorded by other devices on this network.”

The Wi-Fi is a Huawei 4G router from Three. I’m not sure what has changed - is it likely to be a change made by Three?

newlyretired

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Re: encrypted DNS traffic

Postby stewamax » December 22nd, 2021, 1:44 pm

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » December 22nd, 2021, 1:53 pm

Plenty of hits on a web search, this sheds some more light and potential simple 'fix' of forgetting the network and rejoining may remove the message.

https://www.iphonetricks.org/how-to-fix ... on-iphone/

newlyretired
2 Lemon pips

Postby newlyretired » December 22nd, 2021, 2:18 pm

Thanks - forgetting and rejoining has certainly done the trick for both the iPhone and the iPad

I still don’t know where the problem started

newlyretired

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » December 22nd, 2021, 2:39 pm

newlyretired wrote:Thanks - forgetting and rejoining has certainly done the trick for both the iPhone and the iPad

I still don’t know where the problem started

newlyretired

Any recent OS/firmware updates to the chain? iPhone/pad or 4G modem?

Not all apps like EDNS or VPN's, which is why some of the EDNS/VPN apps have split tunnel facility or bypass lists. My experiences with Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) EDNS via Three 4G Wi-Fi hotspot have been mostly good but it occasionally plays up and I have to bypass it globally for a bit in the Android/Windows app. or add the offending app to the exception list.

ISP's aren't always helpful here as not all encrypted traffic is benign - so it's possible Three have tightened something up on the network side to satisfy their own remit or some legislative requirement. Two high profile E2EE email providers have just recently won court cases trying to limit the amount of identifiable user data they are forced to collect by legislation.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”