Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

cold calls re loft insulation

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: cold calls re loft insulation

Postby Infrasonic » October 13th, 2021, 8:40 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:Yes, quite agree. I had a discussion with my local GP practice about their use of Caller ID. They said that they used Number Withheld to ensure that someone else who has access to the stored recently received numbers on the patient's phone couldn't identify that they had had a call from the surgery.

RC

Two things I'd bring up with them.
Tell them that isn't consistent with all GP surgeries (a la mine) and secondly they can front their outgoing calls real switchboard/office numbers with an unlisted SiP number that doesn't appear on Google searches etc. (like some banks anti fraud depts do).
Maybe introduce some sort of 4 digit pin code to get it to connect to the actual surgery - in case the borrowed phone LNR scenario occurs.
I don't understand people who don't use phone/SIM locks with hidden alerts these days though which would bypass that snooping issue.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » October 14th, 2021, 10:43 am

I've had a few of these in the last couple of weeks (pattern of 01202159*** and 0121284**** and 0203129****, log below), on my honeytrap line (a bit of fun, my Mum's old landline, ported to my VOIP, after she died in 2013). I don't think anyone in the UK is going to be able to do very much about these cold calls as they mostly seem to originate from abroad. They do seem to present a UK-type landline number, which can catch the unwary, but preventing this activity could take quite a bit of persuasion and effort and cost, and me thinks "the govt" have higher priorities (like their own self-importance and popularity, the sound of their own voices, their own expenses, salaries and pensions etc etc, then maybe things like the NHS and the economy...).

Interesting developments (thanks for the info) on STIR/SHAKEN (I did have to look at the date quite closely, and ensure it wasn't 1 April, esp in light of the recent appearance of the lastest Bond movie!). Someone has a sense of humour!

Call record:

I note that the number of cold calls to the honeytrap line has in fact declined ...

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 14th, 2021, 3:40 pm

Article in today's DT:

‘I answered a call from my bank – it cost me £24,000’

His case raised issues over the use of caller ID if it can be so easily manipulated. Criminals use internet-based calling services which are outside the control of regular telecom providers and can also often be abroad. Earlier this year, Ofcom warned customers not to trust caller ID on their phones as it could take “years” to solve the problem of spoofing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/answered-call-bank-it-cost-24000/

RC

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”