Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Windows 10 PC super slow again

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
xeny
Lemon Slice

Re: Windows 10 PC super slow again

Postby xeny » October 14th, 2021, 8:40 pm

bungeejumper wrote:That evening, the screen told me that it wanted to update my bios and my screen management system (or something like that), and after about 400 mb of downloads a reboot was required. It's definitely been quicker on bootup since then. So maybe something good came of it?

If it actually was BIOS, then that's a manufacturer update, nothing to do with Windows.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » October 14th, 2021, 8:48 pm

Realistically, any software developer worth paying nowadays will have a machine with an SSD. The good thing about this is they're more productive. The downside is they've no interest or awareness of how their software behaves on a machine with a mechanical drive.

~ 500 GB SSDs are down to £40 now, and can easily save you an hour of frustration with windows updates each month. On the basis if it if hurts stop doing it, I don't think it is worth running MacOS or Windows on a mechanical drive, or to be honest less than a minimum of 8 GB of RAM.

With regard to critical presentations, I'd agree, postponing updates before anything important is the way to go, which is depressing, but it is the reality of the situation.

For the work machines I"m responsible for, I only allow them to "see" updates on a Friday afternoon, pretty much to minimise this kind of risk.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 14th, 2021, 10:01 pm

monabri wrote:An SSD made a world of difference to our Dell laptops. I found that the persistent problem of a hard disc spinning at 100% constantly and the treacle like performance has been eliminated. Use task manager to check on disk usage (note, not cpu usage).

Couldn't agree more. I did this on Monday. As you say 100% disk use while it task swapped (interupt managment) between downloading office updates, firefox and running a virus scan that according to the scanner had been running for 78 hours.

A re-boot caused things to start in a different order and reduced the deadlock. Sadly despite developing software, it's a work computer. That means I have no say on replacing disks and I've given up fighting for a new computer. It is also quite old.

My personal computers all have SSD's, even the linux laptop. They are also younger, even if second hand.

Ps Clariman, replacing a hard drive is easy since you have used the likes of macrium. The most difficult bit might be finding screwdrivers, and if a laptop spudgers. Ebay and Amazon are a good place to buy. Youtube is a good place to watch someone else doing it. If it's a desktop with a 3.5 drive, you can get plastic frames so that 2.5 SSD's can fit in the same place. Or, given it's solid state you can just tape the drive to a handy bit of metal. It's easy and you can be crude if you want.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 14th, 2021, 10:48 pm

Thanks everyone. After a hard disk crash last summer I happily reinstalled a replacement drive, so I'm sure I could install an SSD. However Windows update told me today that the CPU wouldn't support Windows 11. I've had this inexpensive PC for 5 years or more so might consider replacing. Mind you if an ssd is so cheap...

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 14th, 2021, 11:03 pm

Clariman wrote:Thanks everyone. After a hard disk crash last summer I happily reinstalled a replacement drive, so I'm sure I could install an SSD. However Windows update told me today that the CPU wouldn't support Windows 11. I've had this inexpensive PC for 5 years or more so might consider replacing. Mind you if an ssd is so cheap...

Our Dells are 15 yrs old, first gen i5s with 4Gb and 8Gb RAM. Boot time is quick and it's fast enough for what I need ( Excel, Word, Chrome browser). Removing McAfee Antivirus also sped us Web browsing, it's not quite instant downloading a page but it's close.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » October 14th, 2021, 11:35 pm

Clariman wrote:Thanks everyone. After a hard disk crash last summer I happily reinstalled a replacement drive, so I'm sure I could install an SSD. However Windows update told me today that the CPU wouldn't support Windows 11. I've had this inexpensive PC for 5 years or more so might consider replacing. Mind you if an ssd is so cheap...

Windows 10 will still be supported until 2025. An SSD will give your laptop an extra lease of life for another year or two; but of course if you fancy replacing it then it's as good a time as any!

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 14th, 2021, 11:54 pm

Do you actually "need" windows? I made the point earlier about PowerePoint. The answer could be yes.

Alternatively it is possible that Windows 11 could run happily (for a time) on the machine. The Windows 11 thread on these boards has posts about people installing it on "Unsupported" hardware.

Windows 10 itself is supported until 2025.

As you can tell I'm a fan of linux. It just "works", with non of the update issues. Sure it's different from windows, but to flip a coin, does everything have to be Apple? Seriously linux is worth a serious try these days.

Typing this on a second hand Lenovo X230 (2012 era or so) that I got with no Hard Drive. Dual booting linux and Windows 10 (as I need that to download SatNav maps). Obviously I fitted a SSD.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 16th, 2021, 12:12 pm

W11 won't be supported officially, loads of people have it running fine on older hardware though with workarounds and are getting updates - I just wouldn't rely on it on a work critical PC.

Restoring a Macrium backup to a new SSD would be the easiest way to proceed there - it's always worth having a plan b with an up to date working spare PC, even if you upgrade to a new W11 machine.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 16th, 2021, 4:29 pm

Windows 10 will continue to be supported with security updates, system fixes, and feature updates until 14th October 2025, so there's no rush to replace it....

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”