Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Scam calls - a new trick?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Watis
Lemon Quarter

Scam calls - a new trick?

Postby Watis » October 19th, 2021, 3:16 pm

I've had a scam call today, ostensibly from York County Court, as identified by caller ID on my phone!

We're used to the scammers spoofing numbers, viz Bouleversee's post regarding roof insulation. But spoofing the number of an actual legal institution adds a whole new level of authenticity to these scam calls, making it that little bit more likely to catch someone out.

Be careful out there!

Watis

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Scam calls - a new trick?

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 19th, 2021, 3:20 pm

Watis wrote:I've had a scam call today, ostensibly from York County Court, as identified by caller ID on my phone!

We're used to the scammers spoofing numbers, viz Bouleversee's post regarding roof insulation. But spoofing the number of an actual legal institution adds a whole new level of authenticity to these scam calls, making it that little bit more likely to catch someone out.

Be careful out there!

Watis

I read just last week of a fraud which spoofed a bank's number. It's easy to do, I use VOIP and can just enter the Caller ID that I want presented to the recipient.

RC

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 19th, 2021, 3:30 pm

Hey @Watis
we've found the culprit :lol:

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » October 19th, 2021, 3:36 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:I read just last week of a fraud which spoofed a bank's number. It's easy to do, I use VOIP and can just enter the Caller ID that I want presented to the recipient.

RC

Police numbers are another that regularly feature in these stories. As are high-transaction-value service providers from solicitors to builders and tradesmen.

It's made worse by businesses that make themselves elusive, denying you the ability to check up on a call or a number from the horse's mouth.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 19th, 2021, 3:39 pm

pje16 wrote:Hey @Watis
we've found the culprit :lol:

Well, that's more than the bank achieved :)

RC

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 20th, 2021, 11:31 am

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2 ... ummer.html

The telecoms regulator, Ofcom, has estimated that 44.6 million UK people may have received scam calls and text messages during the past three months (summer period)...
Cont.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 20th, 2021, 11:40 am

The telecoms regulator, Ofcom, has estimated that 44.6 million UK people may have received scam calls and text messages during the past three months (summer period)...

Emphasis on the word MAY is probably necessary
that number sounds WAY above the likelihood

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 20th, 2021, 11:48 am

pje16 wrote:

Emphasis on the word MAY is probably necessary
that number sounds WAY above the likelihood

Got any actual falsifiable proof?

2020 UK Population is 67.22 million - many people have more than one phone. I get spam texts and robo calls to both of my mobiles, neither of which has ever been on any directory, registered with TPS et al.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 20th, 2021, 11:57 am

Read the word MAY
It sounds unlikely is all I am saying
almost 45m in THREE months come on......
I have had none, mobile, landline, or work number
A sample based on only 2,000 to represent 67m :roll:

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 20th, 2021, 12:06 pm

pje16 wrote:Read the word MAY

Lots of things that happen in the real world sound unlikely, hence the need for falsifiability.
You're the first person I know never to receive any spam/scam texts or calls - you should share your blocking secrets with us all. :)

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 20th, 2021, 12:13 pm

None in the last 3 months, not NEVER
You've heard of the TPS so why don't you register with them
That ends a lot of junk calls
I did years ago :)

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 20th, 2021, 12:20 pm

pje16 wrote:None in the last 3 months, not NEVER

I'm with the TPS but nevertheless get several junk calls on my landline each week.

My mobile has a service: 'SMART' that tells me whether the number ostensibly calling me has been marked as spammy.
I get a few calls a week that are marked as suspected spam, the record was nine calls in one day in September!

After three such calls from the same number, they get blocked.

Watis

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 20th, 2021, 12:22 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
pje16 wrote:Read the word MAY

Lots of things that happen in the real world sound unlikely, hence the need for falsifiability.
You're the first person I know never to receive any spam/scam texts or calls - you should share your blocking secrets with us all. :)

Well... :)

I've tried before (also emails), but often met with disbelief!
(Never used TPS - Maybe that's the answer?)
Last edited by XFool on October 20th, 2021, 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 20th, 2021, 12:23 pm

I'm already registered with TPS since their inception (and all their other services) - as I posted up thread.
I block spam calls on my phones , they just use different numbers...

You clearly don't understand how scammers/spammers work and why it is so difficult to stop them - maybe have a read up on the many technicalities of off shored cloud PBX and database hacking and then come back with some actual knowledge?
Last edited by Infrasonic on October 20th, 2021, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 20th, 2021, 12:24 pm

Infrasonic wrote:

I'm already registered with TPS since their inception (and all their other services) - as I posted up thread.

You clearly don't understand how scammers/spammers work and why it is so difficult to stop them - maybe have read up on the many technicalities of off shored cloud PBX and database hacking and then come back with some actual knowledge?

Nor me. They still don't phone me... :lol:
(Never used TPS)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 20th, 2021, 12:41 pm

XFool wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:

You clearly don't understand how scammers/spammers work and why it is so difficult to stop them - maybe have read up on the many technicalities of off shored cloud PBX and database hacking and then come back with some actual knowledge?

(Never used TPS)

Yes and I remember all the nonsense you posted about email spam as well, which you also don't understand.
I have about twenty email addresses and only one of them gets a serious amount of spam, most get zero.

The reason is simple - the spammed account has been around since 1998 and is the one most people/organisations had as contact for me, it's been involved in several data breaches.

All the other addresses get used as little as possible and I spread everything around them. It's a simple mathematical ploy to minimise being compromised.

The same logic would apply to phone numbers. I've been self employed for over thirty years so avoiding giving out my numbers isn't an option - hence only one breach of any database with my numbers on will mean my numbers are in the wild and get sold on to multiple lists. These days with the ability to have virtual numbers via SiP then there would be avenues to minimise (but not fully stop) real numbers escaping like that.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 20th, 2021, 12:42 pm

Infrasonic wrote:You clearly don't understand how scammers/spammers work and why it is so difficult to stop them - maybe have a read up on the many technicalities of off shored cloud PBX and database hacking and then come back with some actual knowledge?

Slightly condescending
I may not know technically but as I get hardly any, I know as much as I need to :!:

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 20th, 2021, 12:45 pm

pje16 wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:You clearly don't understand how scammers/spammers work and why it is so difficult to stop them - maybe have a read up on the many technicalities of off shored cloud PBX and database hacking and then come back with some actual knowledge?

Slightly condescending
I may not know technically but as I get hardly any, I know as much as I need to :!:

Apparently so. ;)

SNAP!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 20th, 2021, 12:56 pm

pje16 wrote:

Slightly condescending

It's not condescending, it's calling out BS...

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 20th, 2021, 12:58 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
XFool wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:I'm already registered with TPS since their inception (and all their other services) - as I posted up thread.

(Never used TPS)

Yes and I remember all the nonsense you posted about email spam as well, which you also don't understand.

Sure you do! Possibly you might recollect what I said at the time (originally on TMF):

"So who gets the spam? Me, or you?"

It's important to understand that at one point I was spammed over a period of a couple of years, following an accident in a business sending out a legitimate advertising email - I immediately realised this was going to happen. It was nailed, but it took a couple of years.

Infrasonic wrote:I have about twenty email addresses and only one of them gets a serious amount of spam, most get zero.

The reason is simple - the spammed account has been around since 1998 and is the one most people/organisations had as contact for me, it's been involved in several data breaches.

I too have an email address that has been around since about then (not my usual one though). Over that time it has been transferred from BT 'Talk21', to BT YaHoo! to BT Mail.

Infrasonic wrote:The same logic would apply to phone numbers. I've been self employed for over thirty years so avoiding giving out my numbers isn't an option - hence only one breach of any database with my numbers on will mean my numbers are in the wild and get sold on to multiple lists. These days with the ability to have virtual numbers via SiP then there would be avenues to minimise (but not fully stop) real numbers escaping like that.

It genuinely interests me why there is this seeming difference between those who get lots of spam emails/phone calls and those of us that don't. There must be a reason but I have never seen a simple explanation.

My email addresses and phone number are for a private individual, there has never been any business use. Perhaps THIS is the reason? The people who complain of spam rarely explain or contextualise anything beyond: "I get a lot of spam...". It might help if they did.
Last edited by XFool on October 20th, 2021, 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”