Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Scam calls - a new trick?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Scam calls - a new trick?

Postby XFool » October 26th, 2021, 8:28 pm

GoSeigen wrote:
XFool wrote:It does seem to neatly evade the strange fact that, down the years, some people claim to be plagued by scam phone calls/emails that are "unavoidable", while some of us claim to be virtually free of these pests.

OK, here's my quick list of reasons why an email address might get a lot of SPAM while others don't -- from my private and professional experience, not others' research:

Thanks - with my comments on those reasons:

GoSeigen wrote:-The hosting ISP has poor SPAM filtering or it is poorly configured by the user

I know nothing about this. How different are different ISPs, does anyone know? Has anyone ever attempted an analysis of this? In principle, if it is significant, a league table could be drawn up.

GoSeigen wrote:-The address has been published online

Definitely. This is a 'no brainer' and one way that would inevitably lead to SPAM. So much so that it can be taken as read.

GoSeigen wrote:-The address is vulnerable to dictionary attack (sales@domain.com, john@gmail.com)
-The address is on lists being circulated or sold, obtained from hacking, scraping or other means

Yes. But that only takes us back to the question: "Why are some on these lists and others apparently are not?"
My original email address was hosted by Yahoo! for a significant period.

GoSeigen wrote:-The address's owner was naive about SPAM: they replied to SPAM emails, tried clicking the unsubscribe link, failed to block inline images, left the preview function enabled in their email client etc

Yes. This would be my favoured reason wrt naive users. My rule with SPAM is never to do any of these things.

GoSeigen wrote:-The address is very old

Except that my old home email address originally dates from the Dot Com era and is still directing any incoming mail to my current email.

There is another aspect to this whole matter - a psychological angle. IMO it is a kind of general issue on the Internet: the problem of "representativeness"

Perhaps not receiving SPAM is actually the norm? But, on a BB where some people are complaining of SPAM, others looking on may feel it odd because they are not receiving SPAM. But they are not complaining of SPAM, because they are not receiving it, whereas those complaining are, because they are receiving SPAM!

Those receiving (and complaining of) SPAM now may not have been doing so last year and may not be doing so next year. Those not receiving (and complaining of) SPAM now may be doing so in the future, or may have been doing so in the past. e.g. Some years ago now, following a mistake in a mass emailing (SPAM?!) by a legitimate company, my then email account, up to then SPAM free, suffered SPAM for a couple of years - it came as no surprise that this was going to happen. But eventually (whether due to my actions or not!) things returned to 'normal' i.e. No SPAM.

My general point here - disputed by some - is that SPAM email etc. is clearly in general NOT "inevitable", not something we "just have to put up with". From my own direct experience over many years (1990s onwards), not receiving email/phone SPAM is the norm.

If other people disagree with this (direct experience) then AFAIAC it's up to them to explain why this is so in their case. Simply explaining how peoples' email addresses can be found out is not ultimately a full explanation.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 26th, 2021, 9:14 pm

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/inform ... tatistics/

35+ Phone Spam Statistics for 2017 – 2021

Phone spam and scams are on the rise, with no signs of stopping. Between 2017 and 2021, spam calls rose exponentially in some categories. Here are the top statistics which reflect the growing, troubling trend with phone spam and scams...
Cont.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 29th, 2021, 11:37 am

https://www.zdnet.com/article/luxury-ho ... ta-breach/

A luxury hotel chain in Thailand is reporting a data breach thanks to a notorious group of cybercriminals who have been behind a spate of attacks in recent weeks.

Thirayuth Chirathivat, CEO of Centara Hotels & Resorts, said in a statement that on October 14, they were "made aware" of a cyberattack on the hotel chain's network.

An investigation confirmed that cyber attackers had in fact breached their system and accessed the data of some customers. The data accessed includes names, booking information, phone numbers, email addresses, home addresses and photos of IDs.

A mate was working in Edinburgh earlier in the week, got asked for his mobile number in a couple of restaurants - started receiving scam calls purporting to be from Edinburgh Sheriffs court a day later...

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 29th, 2021, 11:50 am

Infrasonic wrote:A mate was working in Edinburgh earlier in the week, got asked for his mobile number in a couple of restaurants - started receiving scam calls purporting to be from Edinburgh Sheriffs court a day later...

Why was he asked for his mobile number by the restaurants?

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » October 29th, 2021, 12:13 pm

A mate was working in Edinburgh earlier in the week, got asked for his mobile number in a couple of restaurants - started receiving scam calls purporting to be from Edinburgh Sheriffs court a day later...

This scam has been so prevalent lately that the Edinburgh Sheriffs Court website has a warning about it on their home page.

Probably just coincidence wrt to working in Edinburgh and giving number to restaurants (presumably for Track and Trace).

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 29th, 2021, 12:54 pm

kyu66 wrote:

This scam has been so prevalent lately that the Edinburgh Sheriffs Court website has a warning about it on their home page.

Probably just coincidence wrt to working in Edinburgh and giving number to restaurants (presumably for Track and Trace).

I presume T&T.

Edinburgh is a big tourism city - the biggest in the UK outside of London revenue wise, therefore it will have a good network of underworld affiliations.

A bigger worry is if the scammers did it via leaked phone or network location data - which is now a reality rather than a theoretical risk.

I spent ten years travelling internationally for work and had quite a few ploys to try and prevent data leakage /hotel room thefts et al.

In room safes have master codes that can leak, I never use them.

If the front desk insist on keeping your passport or other ID - check in to your room then immediately go downstairs and get it back saying you need to visit a Bureau de Change. Cloned passports get a good price.

Hard shell suitcases /laptop cases (e.g Samsonite) with decent bike locks (the D type with a guarantee) to secure to bed frames when not in the room.

Cash - tape it behind the wardobe.
(But don't forget like one tour manager I know, who left an entire £30K tour float in a Paris hotel room and didn't realise until he got back to the UK.
Luckily it was still there when he got back a day later and his employers at the time were none the wiser...)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » October 29th, 2021, 1:15 pm

...Interesting. Just occurred to me: someone I know has been complaining for some while of receiving lots of wrong number calls to his mobile (rather than scam calls). Mostly from Scotland. He has no idea why.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 30th, 2021, 10:41 am

https://www.vice.com/en/article/5dgmqz/ ... no-consent

Location Data Firm Got GPS Data From Apps Even When People Opted Out
The news around location data firm Huq shows that data companies may not even really know if they've received consent to harvest information from ordinary phones...
Cont.

...Huq is based in the UK and claims to collect and process over one billion mobility events every day, and says it sources that data from 161 different countries, according to the company’s website. Like many other firms in the location industry, Huq sells access to or products based upon that harvested location data to a range of different sectors, including local governments, financial investors, retail, and real-estate, its website adds...
Cont.

Fluke
Lemon Slice

Postby Fluke » November 1st, 2021, 7:44 am

XFool wrote:...Interesting. Just occurred to me: someone I know has been complaining for some while of receiving lots of wrong number calls to his mobile (rather than scam calls). Mostly from Scotland. He has no idea why.

I received a call from a number in Arbroath yesterday, I was driving so didn't answer, they didn't leave a message. I live in southern England and don't know anyone there so didn't call them back.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 2nd, 2021, 7:28 pm

https://www.itpro.co.uk/security/distri ... ttacks-are

...Several Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers in the UK have been subjected to distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks resulting in numerous outages affecting the public and private sector.

The UK Comms Council confirmed on Tuesday that several of its members and a number of international providers, including some in North America, have been fielding attacks for the past four weeks....
Cont.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 2nd, 2021, 10:11 pm

Infrasonic wrote:https://www.itpro.co.uk/security/distributed-denial-of-service-ddos/361374/international-co-ordinated-ddos-attacks-are

...Several Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers in the UK have been subjected to distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks resulting in numerous outages affecting the public and private sector.

Oh goody! Something else to look forward to. :(

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”