Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Free or cheap VPN for occasional use?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Free or cheap VPN for occasional use?

Postby stevensfo » November 1st, 2021, 1:11 pm

Can anyone recommend a VPN that allows me to pretend that I'm in the USA, UK etc when I'm travelling? Not for Netflix or streaming. Just to avoid those annoying 'Video cannot be played in your location' messages and phone apps that won't download if I'm not there.

NordVPN hseems very affordable with the latest offers - for 2 years sign-up, but there are so many others!

Steve

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Free or cheap VPN for occasional use?

Postby mc2fool » November 1st, 2021, 1:25 pm

For Windows I have Opera installed, which isn't my normal browser but I crank it up for the occasional 'Video cannot be played in your location' situation as it has a built in free VPN which has, so far, always worked to get round it. Apparently works on Android too.

However, I've just discovered that there are several Firefox add-ons that seem to give free VPNs, although I've yet to try any of them. Ditto for Chrome. Maybe someone who has used of one or more of those can say something of their experience...?

https://www.google.com/search?q=firefox+free+vpn
https://www.google.com/search?q=chrome+free+vpn

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 1st, 2021, 1:38 pm

stevensfo wrote:Can anyone recommend a VPN that allows me to pretend that I'm in the USA, UK etc when I'm travelling? Not for Netflix or streaming. Just to avoid those annoying 'Video cannot be played in your location' messages and phone apps that won't download if I'm not there.

NordVPN hseems very affordable with the latest offers - for 2 years sign-up, but there are so many others!

Steve

You can also get 44% cashback on Nord via tcb.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 1st, 2021, 2:09 pm

Personally I'd only use VPN's that have independent third party auditing of their data retention policies and privacy statements - there's been a few that have claimed not to keep logs for instance and then it turned out not to be true after they got hacked...

VPN IP addresses can get grey listed as they are popular with scammers/spammers/DDoS attackers trying to maintain anonymity. Filling in the CDN bot challenges on websites can get tiresome after a while.

If you get a split tunnel VPN you can choose which traffic goes through or around it.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 2nd, 2021, 5:57 pm

stevensfo wrote:Can anyone recommend a VPN that allows me to pretend that I'm in the USA, UK etc when I'm travelling? Not for Netflix or streaming.

Steve

Windscribe has a free offer allowing 10GB per month and a limited set of countries in the free offer where you can exit the VPN - https://windscribe.com/features/use-for-free

I use them for ‘non-sensitive’ use, but have no idea whether they are trustworthy for anything else.

For a VPN back to the UK you could always use a Raspberry Pi to VPN back to your home broadband.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”