Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

New laptop recommendations

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
xeny
Lemon Slice

Re: New laptop recommendations

Postby xeny » October 25th, 2021, 12:40 pm

Clariman wrote:Thanks. That is pretty much how I use it. Laptop plugs into Wavlink USB docking station, to which are attached the separate screen, backup HDD and speakers.

Just an observation that large external monitors are better performing if driven over a "proper" display interface rather than a USB docking station if you're fussed about video performance. This can also have an impact on laptop power use/temperature. AIUII displaylink essentially skips any scope for the laptop CPU to offload rendering the display to the "proper" GPU, even an integrated one.

Personally I'd not get a laptop with fewer than 12 GB at this point for serious use - the price premium is small, RAM is often soldered so it's a when you buy decision, and applications like Teams are memory hogs. Typically memory layouts mean for best performance you're typically buying as 8 GB, 16 GB etc.

Given my choice I wouldn't buy a laptop at present, the supply/demand means prices certainly aren't low, and I don' think what is out there is enough of a win over an Intel 6th gen CPU for general office applications.

With regard to updating laptop drives to SSDs, 480GB drives are £35 on Amazon and then put the old drive in an external caddy so you have a remote backup, not one stuck in the laptop.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 25th, 2021, 1:19 pm

Docking stations - you can get Thunderbolt 4 / USB 4 these days and they have tightened up the minimum required standards so that you will actually get 40Gb of bandwidth now rather than the Laptops/docks with TB3 (40Gb max) ports that only had a single (1x) PCIe lane giving 10Gb in reality.

The better ones have decent power handing for pass through charging - think the max is currently 100W but they are looking at increasing it to accommodate all the 120W+ ultrabook/workstation/gaming laptops.

You could use eGPU's there too (a full size PCIe graphics card in an external case with a Thunderbolt 3/4 port).

Screens - there's a few very slim portable screens around now, basically a full size laptop screen without the rest of it that would be feasible to take on the road to give a dual screen laptop setup if needed.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » October 25th, 2021, 2:51 pm

Infrasonic wrote:Docking stations - you can get Thunderbolt 4 / USB 4 these days and they have tightened up the minimum required standards so that you will actually get 40Gb of bandwidth now rather than the Laptops/docks with TB3 (40Gb max) ports that only had a single (1x) PCIe lane giving 10Gb in reality.

Once you've got a USB C port with display port alt mode, then you're fine hanging displays off USB ports. Thunderbolt 3 or better is icing on the cake.

The solutions I've had bad experiences are the docks that operate with "DisplayLink" drivers, which at first glance looks like magic "I can plug multiple monitors into my laptop wen I've used up the HDMI and DisplayPort ports" but then frequently lead to discontent "why is my laptop running so hot/slow" or "why is this youtube video looking wrong".

We have a procurement department that has bought hundreds of them as the standard fits in hotdesking spaces. :-(

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 25th, 2021, 3:39 pm

xeny wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:Docking stations - you can get Thunderbolt 4 / USB 4 these days and they have tightened up the minimum required standards so that you will actually get 40Gb of bandwidth now rather than the Laptops/docks with TB3 (40Gb max) ports that only had a single (1x) PCIe lane giving 10Gb in reality.

Once you've got a USB C port with display port alt mode, then you're fine hanging displays off USB ports. Thunderbolt 3 or better is icing on the cake.

The solutions I've had bad experiences are the docks that operate with "DisplayLink" drivers, which at first glance looks like magic "I can plug multiple monitors into my laptop wen I've used up the HDMI and DisplayPort ports" but then frequently lead to discontent "why is my laptop running so hot/slow" or "why is this youtube video looking wrong".

We have a procurement department that has bought hundreds of them as the standard fits in hotdesking spaces. :-(

It depends on what you need - I've been doing a deep dive on TB4 docks since the standard was announced as I need a new workstation class laptop to do high end (4-8K) video and audio work (Pro Tools HD DAW) - so all TB4 peripherals like NVMe SSD's et al. The TB docks have been all over the place features and standards wise up 'till now, a complete lottery.

Hopefully this TB4/USB4 harmonisation and minimum standards requirement to get officially badged TB4 will help - next there needs to be consistent specs adherence and labelling across the USB C/TB cables which is also a mess - adding more pins with C just lead to more variables for people to get wrong or interpret in their own 'unique' way. :?

In worst case scenarios badly out of spec cables/chargers have caused serious damage..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benson_Leung

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » October 25th, 2021, 4:08 pm

Moderator Message:
A couple of off-topic posts have been reported on this thread and on balance although they were relatively innocuous they were off-topic for this board and I therefore deleted them, as well as a sparate post commenting on them. Your co-operation in sticking to the topic will be appreciated by everyone (hopefully) (chas49)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 25th, 2021, 4:20 pm

swill453 wrote:On the subject of disk caddies, I find you don't actually need one if your external disk is an SSD. I have a spare 250 GB one, and no room inside my mini desktop for another disk. So with a 4 quid USB 3 to SATA cable I have it sitting on top of the box, kept in place with a bit of blu tac. Works for me.

(Excuse the dust :-) )

Scott.

Just a word of caution!

Those SSD connectors are not very robust..I know...I ham-fistedly ruined a brand new 512 GB SSD when I applied too much pressure and the connectors bent upwards. I'm usually careful, honest !

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 25th, 2021, 4:50 pm

monabri wrote:Just a word of caution!

Those SSD connectors are not very robust..I know...I ham-fistedly ruined a brand new 512 GB SSD when I applied too much pressure and the connectors bent upwards. I'm usually careful, honest !

You used to be able to get 2.5" half case sleds that were SATA to USB, which made swapping SSD drives around much easier as it just slotted in without room for wiggle! Can't find any on Amazon currently though.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 25th, 2021, 5:42 pm

monabri wrote:Those SSD connectors are not very robust..I know...I ham-fistedly ruined a brand new 512 GB SSD when I applied too much pressure and the connectors bent upwards. I'm usually careful, honest !

Aha, not only have I fixed it to the case with blu tac, I also have duct tape covering the cable connector underneath. Professional job, eh...?

Scott.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 26th, 2021, 10:46 am

Many thanks everyone. After reading all your recommendations and ideas, refined my desired specification, reviewed the major manufacturers' products - both business and personal machines, I have ordered a machine very close to the one suggested by Breelander https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/gaming- ... op/cng5103

It is at the top end of what I wanted to spend but the Dell Latitude seems to have a good reputation for build quality and if the RRP shown is anything like genuine, buying it for 45% of normal RRP looks like a bargain. :?

It won't arrive for a couple of weeks so that gives plenty of time for either (a) buyer's remorse or (b) the excitement of delayed gratification to kick in. :lol:

Thanks again
C

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » October 26th, 2021, 1:10 pm

Clariman wrote:Many thanks everyone. After reading all your recommendations and ideas, refined my desired specification, reviewed the major manufacturers' products - both business and personal machines, I have ordered a machine very close to the one suggested by Breelander ... It is at the top end of what I wanted to spend ...

It's more than I would be prepared to spend ;) but with an 11th gen processor and a slot available for another RAM card, should you feel the need, it looks like it's going to meet your needs for years to come. Enjoy :-)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 26th, 2021, 1:20 pm

Breelander wrote:
Clariman wrote:Many thanks everyone. After reading all your recommendations and ideas, refined my desired specification, reviewed the major manufacturers' products - both business and personal machines, I have ordered a machine very close to the one suggested by Breelander ... It is at the top end of what I wanted to spend ...

It's more than I would be prepared to spend ;) but with an 11th gen processor and a slot available for another RAM card, should you feel the need, it looks like it's going to meet your needs for years to come. Enjoy :-)

During normal times the manufacturer online outlet stores often have good deals on cancelled orders or refurbished PC's with a warranty.

Many businesses cycle their leased computers every couple of years and there are reputable third party dealers who refurb them with a ltd warranty of six months/1 year.

There are still deals out there - just not as many!

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 27th, 2021, 5:14 pm

Even better :D

Before ordering from Dell I checked Amex offers and saw they had a £100 cashback/rebate on spends over £750 on Dell equipment, so added the offer to my card. However, the computer I wanted didn't appear on the Dell deals link that Amex provided, so I thought it probably wouldn't qualify. I have just checked with Amex and they tell me that it does qualify, so that means the overall discount off list for my purchase was 60%! Happy with that. Who knows maybe some Black Friday deals will beat it but I'm happy.

C

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 27th, 2021, 6:13 pm

Clariman wrote:Before ordering from Dell I checked Amex offers and saw they had a £100 cashback/rebate on spends over £750 on Dell equipment, so added the offer to my card. However, the computer I wanted didn't appear on the Dell deals link that Amex provided, so I thought it probably wouldn't qualify. I have just checked with Amex and they tell me that it does qualify, so that means the overall discount off list for my purchase was 60%!

? The link you provided earlier gave a full list price of £999, so how do you get to 60% off? (I.e. £400)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 27th, 2021, 6:35 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Clariman wrote:Before ordering from Dell I checked Amex offers and saw they had a £100 cashback/rebate on spends over £750 on Dell equipment, so added the offer to my card. However, the computer I wanted didn't appear on the Dell deals link that Amex provided, so I thought it probably wouldn't qualify. I have just checked with Amex and they tell me that it does qualify, so that means the overall discount off list for my purchase was 60%!

? The link you provided earlier gave a full list price of £999, so how do you get to 60% off? (I.e. £400)

Oops looks like I posted the wrong link. Should be this one https://www.dell.com/en-uk/work/shop/la ... be904020f4

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 27th, 2021, 9:20 pm

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » November 3rd, 2021, 12:24 am

Clariman wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:I confess that I am concerned about you falling downstares carrying your last one. An episode of a gory program that the wife watches had a lady with a very badly broken leg, caused by tripping over her laptop lead while navigating the stairs.

:o Thanks for your concern. I was fine. It was last summer and I was bringing the laptop downstairs for a family zoom quiz (remember those days? :lol: ). The last step on our stair isn't carpeted and in my rush I thought I was on the floor so went flying when I took the next step. I survived well, the PC survived well, but the HDD was inconsolable and irrecoverable.

I'm sure that you have sorted your new laptop, but I thought that you might like this somewhat old link.
Yes it's selling a specific brand of laptop. One that is not cheap as well. However some of us buy them second hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMkSxdR-W0g

PS,that laptop is now 10 years old, so not that expensive second hand.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 8th, 2021, 11:42 am

Update on my Dell order from 25 October. Expected delivery was next week but it was still showing online at "order received" status, which seemed dubious. I called Dell just now and they told me that they had cancelled the order because it was end-of-line and they could not supply it. That begs the question - why did they take the order and even more fundamentally, why didn't they tell me! :roll:

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 8th, 2021, 12:20 pm

Clariman wrote:Update on my Dell order from 25 October. Expected delivery was next week but it was still showing online at "order received" status, which seemed dubious. I called Dell just now and they told me that they had cancelled the order because it was end-of-line and they could not supply it. That begs the question - why did they take the order and even more fundamentally, why didn't they tell me! :roll:

The component shortages are causing a lot of draconian behaviour lately, including cancellation of new model product launches.
Not an excuse for Dell not to keep you in the loop, but I'd guess they are being very cutthroat with end of line products in order to have component availability for still current.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 8th, 2021, 12:34 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
Clariman wrote:Update on my Dell order from 25 October. Expected delivery was next week but it was still showing online at "order received" status, which seemed dubious. I called Dell just now and they told me that they had cancelled the order because it was end-of-line and they could not supply it. That begs the question - why did they take the order and even more fundamentally, why didn't they tell me! :roll:

The component shortages are causing a lot of draconian behaviour lately, including cancellation of new model product launches.
Not an excuse for Dell not to keep you in the loop, but I'd guess they are being very cutthroat with end of line products in order to have component availability for still current.

Having shopped around again, Dell still looks pretty reasonable prices compared to anyone else - and I also get a £100 Dell cashback from Amex, so I've ordered an standard spec Inspiron which is due to ship today for delivery tomorrow. Hopefully not much will go wrong with that order! SSD, Intel i7 and double the RAM of my current PC, so hopefully performance will be better. :)

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”