Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Windows 11 - First Impression - Quick, Slick and Refined

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windows 11 - First Impression - Quick, Slick and Refined

Postby Infrasonic » November 7th, 2021, 10:25 am

servodude wrote:...Still not used to the curves though...

-sd

I think it's just MS trying to corner the market...

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 7th, 2021, 10:33 am

Infrasonic wrote:
servodude wrote:...Still not used to the curves though...

-sd

I think it's just MS trying to corner the market...

In a roundabout way? You're probably right

Peltiq
2 Lemon pips

Postby Peltiq » November 7th, 2021, 2:07 pm

Breelander wrote:
Peltiq wrote:Breelander, have you actually tried out your suggestion or is this the advice which you got after googling the question?

Yes. I have, and no - I found it for myself without invoking Google. See my example of changing the defaults for Photos' file associations, or setting the default browser here:

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/lets-run- ... post-39646

Well this is all very puzzling.

Despite rolling back to W10 and reinstalling W11, I still don't have the option to change the default apps as outlined in Breelander's link. It is annoying as I have always used VLC to watch video files and I am no longer able to set VLC as the default app.

I also can't right-click on a file and delete or rename it without going via other options.

Once again I have reverted to Win 10 where I will stay for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for all your input.

Karen

BT63
Lemon Slice

Postby BT63 » November 7th, 2021, 2:28 pm

Peltiq wrote:Despite rolling back to W10 and reinstalling W11, I still don't have the option to change the default apps as outlined in Breelander's link. It is annoying as I have always used VLC to watch video files and I am no longer able to set VLC as the default app.

I also can't right-click on a file and delete or rename it without going via other options.

Once again I have reverted to Win 10 where I will stay for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for all your input.

Karen

I just went into Default Apps > Choose defaults by file type (scrolled down near the bottom of the page)
Clicked on 'Choose defaults by file type'
Then scrolled down to .AVI
Then left clicked on it
Then 'Look for an app in the Microsoft store' (I didn't have VLC installed)
Then installed VLC (took a few minutes)
Then was able to set .AVI default as VLC.

I should add that my computer is old and it fails the W11 checker.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 7th, 2021, 3:35 pm

Peltiq wrote:I also can't right-click on a file and delete or rename it without going via other options.

In 11 you don't even need to right-click any more to use those options. They (and others) are there as icons across the top of File Explorer. Top left, after ''New' are icons for: Cut, Copy, Paste, Rename, Share, and Delete.

Peltiq
2 Lemon pips

Postby Peltiq » November 8th, 2021, 10:29 am

Breelander wrote:
Peltiq wrote:I also can't right-click on a file and delete or rename it without going via other options.

In 11 you don't even need to right-click any more to use those options. They (and others) are there as icons across the top of File Explorer. Top left, after ''New' are icons for: Cut, Copy, Paste, Rename, Share, and Delete.

You're right, I hadn't spotted that.

That just leaves me with the inability to be amend default programmes, specifically to nominate VLC to always open video files. Any ideas? I have reinstalled W11 and the problem persists.

Karen

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » November 8th, 2021, 1:11 pm

Peltiq wrote:
That just leaves me with the inability to be amend default programmes, specifically to nominate VLC to always open video files. Any ideas? I have reinstalled W11 and the problem persists.

Karen

Highlight a video file in Explorer. Right click. Hover over Open With. On the submenu that opens choose "Choose another app" Navigate to VLC and also tick "Always use this app to open <filetype>"

Does this work?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 8th, 2021, 1:31 pm

genou wrote:
Peltiq wrote:

Karen

Highlight a video file in Explorer. Right click. Hover over Open With. On the submenu that opens choose "Choose another app" Navigate to VLC and also tick "Always use this app to open <filetype>"

Does this work?

She's already said no. viewtopic.php?p=456124#p456124

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » November 8th, 2021, 3:28 pm

mc2fool wrote:She's already said no. viewtopic.php?p=456124#p456124

Karen's reinstalled windows since then. She has said the problem persists, but not what steps she has taken.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 8th, 2021, 4:50 pm

Peltiq wrote:That just leaves me with the inability to be amend default programmes, specifically to nominate VLC to always open video files. Any ideas? I have reinstalled W11 and the problem persists.

As others have said, the ability to choose a default should be there in 11 just as it is in 10. Do you have any other user accounts on this PC? If so, sign in to another account and see if the problem exists there. If not create a new local user account and test that. Sometimes these types of problems are specific to just one user account. Is yours a local account or a Microsoft account?

You could try a reset and restore of the default app association for a file type using this tutorial: https://www.elevenforum.com/t/reset-and ... s-11.2139/

Initially try using Option Two to reset just .mp4 file types with the .reg file you can download from that tutorial. See if you can now set VLC as the default for .mp4. If that doesn't work then you could try Option One to reset all defaults, but that would also reset any other defaults you may have already changed.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » November 8th, 2021, 6:50 pm

On a cursory google it seems that under Windows 10 at least it's possible to add/remove the "Always use this app" functionality, presumably so that admins can stop "dumb" users from "messing up" their systems. Possibly the same registry entries exist under W11, or maybe an equivalent group policy....

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/156072-how-add-remove-open-always-use-app-windows-10-a.html

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 8th, 2021, 7:03 pm

mc2fool wrote:....Possibly the same registry entries exist under W11....
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/156072-how-add-remove-open-always-use-app-windows-10-a.html

Good call.

I have checked on my W11 and yes, they do. In W11 I already have exactly the same registry keys and values as are created by using the 'Add_Always_use_this_app_to_open.reg' from Step 2 of that tutorial.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 9th, 2021, 6:35 am

Does a new PC with Windows 11 on it have the ability to revert back to Windows 10?

Peltiq
2 Lemon pips

Postby Peltiq » November 9th, 2021, 12:26 pm

Thanks Breelander and Mc2fool for your ongoing help. I apologise for the delay in responding but this morning has been my first opportunity.

Firstly, I updated my Dell laptop to Win 11 and everything works perfectly.

The problem however remains with my desktop pc.

1. I have created a new local user account and logged in with that but it made no difference.

2. I have downloaded and run the file described in https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/156072-how-add-remove-open-always-use-app-windows-10-a.html and that makes no difference. After running the file. I checked the registry entry and \OpenWithSetDefaultOn is showing but apparently not having any effect as nothing else has changed.

3. The advice suggested in this link - https://www.elevenforum.com/t/reset-and-restore-default-apps-for-file-types-in-windows-11.2139/
- lets you revert to default apps (which I already have ) but not to specify another app.

My inclination now is to once again go back to Windows 10 and maybe try Windows 11 at a later date.

Please lets not waste any more time on this.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Karen.

Peltiq
2 Lemon pips

Postby Peltiq » November 9th, 2021, 12:40 pm

Out of curiosity I have just tried to change the default app for .jpg files (right click, open with, choose another app) and the option to "always use this app to open jpg files" is there. I have also checked mp3, flac, doc, pdf and xls files nand they are all okay as well!

Why on earth isn't the option there for for video files??

Karen

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 9th, 2021, 11:35 pm

Clariman wrote:Does a new PC with Windows 11 on it have the ability to revert back to Windows 10?

If it comes supplied with Windows 11 pre-installed then no, it doesn't.

However, Windows 10 and Windows 11 use exactly the same digital licence, saved on the Microsoft activation servers and linked to the hardware ID of the PC. If the new PC has an activated Windows 11, then a clean install of the same edition of Windows 10 (Home or Pro) would activate from the PC's existing digital licence.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » November 9th, 2021, 11:44 pm

Breelander wrote:
Clariman wrote:Does a new PC with Windows 11 on it have the ability to revert back to Windows 10?

However, Windows 10 and Windows 11 use exactly the same digital licence, saved on the Microsoft activation servers and linked to the hardware ID of the PC. If the new PC has an activated Windows 11, then a clean install of the same edition of Windows 10 (Home or Pro) would activate from the PC's existing digital licence.

Thanks. Having ordered a laptop that had Windows 11 on it, I hadn't done my usual checks of app support. One I use has some issues on Windows 11.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 10th, 2021, 1:24 am

Clariman wrote:
Breelander wrote:

Thanks. Having ordered a laptop that had Windows 11 on it, I hadn't done my usual checks of app support. One I use has some issues on Windows 11.

You'll hopefully find it fixed in short order

But being in a related-ish quandry at the moment (needing to support the family stable of Win10 machines ineligible for 11 now my main box is upgraded) the digging I've done suggests that it's easy enough to create Win10 install media on a Win11 machine (it just dowloads a different ISO)

- sd

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » November 10th, 2021, 5:28 am

Clariman wrote:Thanks. Having ordered a laptop that had Windows 11 on it, I hadn't done my usual checks of app support. One I use has some issues on Windows 11.

If you do decide you need to install Windows 10 on it, make sure that you first boot it up and set up it's pre-installed Windows 11. Once W11 it says it is activated then a digital licence for this PC will exist on the MS activation servers.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 10th, 2021, 7:47 am

I am a simple soul when it comes to PCs but having installed Windows 11 on my new desk top (it came with Windows 10) I will not go back to Windows 10. Already there is quite a bit of info on W11 via Goggle and that plus stuff on here will give me all I need. I am actually very happy with it, subject to a few tweaks.

Dod

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”