Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Default pictures path lost

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
88V8
Lemon Half

Default pictures path lost

Postby 88V8 » December 18th, 2021, 8:15 pm

Tried uploading some pics from the camera to our W7 machine... first it says there are no new pictures, then when I make that go away and ask it to upload, it says The Path is not Available, or words to that effect.

So I tried restoring the pics from the My Picture folder in the latest backup, and the backup programme gives me much the same message about the path not being available, so the backup is no good.
Same with the backup from two weeks ago.

How do I fix this....?

My Pictures lives in Libraries, where it has always been. Libraries, Pictures, My Pictures. I right clicked it, clicked Location and Restore default, still no good.

But oddly enough, I can upload video clips from our wildlife camera, they go to a sub-folder in My Pictures whereas everything else just makes a new folder. Until now.

One thing I have noticed of late, when I open Pictures, the folders in Explorer are very slow to populate with the preview picture.
In other respects everything is as usual, all the pics are there and I can see them, edit them, etc.

Any idea how I can fix the Path issue?

V8

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: Default pictures path lost

Postby 88V8 » December 19th, 2021, 4:08 pm

Haven't got the bottom of this, but... by taking one new picture was able to get the card reader fired up and access the import options including the specified path.
It was pointing jpegs at My Pictures, as one would expect.

I changed this to a new folder in My Pictures, no good.
Then I changed it to an existing folder, and this time it worked by automatically creating a new sub-folder in that folder, in which it put the new picture.
And not only the new picture, but also the 14 pictures it wouldn't previously recognise as it had already failed to upload them so they weren't 'new'.

There is still stuff going on with it telling me that the G drive is in use - it wasn't - then telling me it wasn't ready - it was - so I don't think I'm out of the woods yet.
I checked the driver for the card reader but the Control Panel tells me it's working OK.
Anyway, no immediate crisis at the moment.

I think after Xmas I shall do a Dod, and leap from W7 to W11 with a new PC.
If I wait until mid-Jan, this one will be ten years old. My conscience would allow me to bin it at that point.

V8

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 19th, 2021, 4:51 pm

88V8 wrote:Tried uploading some pics from the camera to our W7 machine... first it says there are no new pictures, then when I make that go away and ask it to upload, it says The Path is not Available, or words to that effect.

So I tried restoring the pics from the My Picture folder in the latest backup, and the backup programme gives me much the same message about the path not being available, so the backup is no good.

How do I fix this....?

My Pictures lives in Libraries, where it has always been. Libraries, Pictures, My Pictures. I right clicked it, clicked Location and Restore default, still no good.

But oddly enough, I can upload video clips from our wildlife camera, they go to a sub-folder in My Pictures whereas everything else just makes a new folder. Until now.

One thing I have noticed of late, when I open Pictures, the folders in Explorer are very slow to populate with the preview picture.
In other respects everything is as usual, all the pics are there and I can see them, edit them, etc.

V8

IME Win7 is not always perfect when it comes to assigning drives to external devices particularly 'non-standard' devices like cameras and this can cause that sort of confusion. I assume that Win7 assigns a drive letter to the camera each time you connect it and when you disconnect it the drive is no longer shown - at least when the computer is restarted. It might be worth permanently assigning a drive letter to your camera rather than getting one each time your camera is connected.

RC

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » December 20th, 2021, 12:28 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:
88V8 wrote:Tried uploading some pics from the camera to our W7 machine... first it says there are no new pictures, then when I make that go away and ask it to upload, it says The Path is not Available, or words to that effect.

How do I fix this....?

V8

IME Win7 is not always perfect when it comes to assigning drives to external devices particularly 'non-standard' devices like cameras and this can cause that sort of confusion. I assume that Win7 assigns a drive letter to the camera each time you connect it and when you disconnect it the drive is no longer shown - at least when the computer is restarted. It might be worth permanently assigning a drive letter to your camera rather than getting one each time your camera is connected.

RC

I think "Libraries" in windows is/are a way to handle symbolic links in a "user friendly" way that works well until it doesn't
- while the files are presented as if Libraries is a folder it's really just a way of gathering other folders togther for display
- (this might vary between different versions of windows - I don't have a 7 machine about here to investigate)

Might be worth finding out if/where the photos actually are?
That kind of thing I normally do with a small app called Everything by Voidtools (https://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/)

- sd

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”