Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

BBC iPlayer

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
swill453
Lemon Half

BBC iPlayer

Postby swill453 » May 7th, 2022, 6:09 am

If I use BBC iPlayer on a phone, tablet or PC and watch "Live TV", I can rewind to any point in the last 2 hours.

However if I watch the same on a smart TV, either with its iPlayer app or cast to Chromecast from one of the above devices, the most I can rewind to is the start of the current programme.

So I can't watch a show that's just finished until it appears in iPlayer in its own right, which is typically about an hour afters it's shown.

Does anyone know why they restrict it like this? I'm guessing marketing reasons. Or does anyone know a workaround?

Scott.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: BBC iPlayer

Postby Gerry557 » May 7th, 2022, 7:11 am

I have never noticed this issue but then again I've not looked for it.

If you know a show is on you can record it on a free view box like the humax aura and lots have catch up services.

I haven't tried your scenario though but might look out for it later

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » May 7th, 2022, 7:26 am

swill453 wrote:If I use BBC iPlayer on a phone, tablet or PC and watch "Live TV", I can rewind to any point in the last 2 hours.

However if I watch the same on a smart TV, either with its iPlayer app or cast to Chromecast from one of the above devices, the most I can rewind to is the start of the current programme.

So I can't watch a show that's just finished until it appears in iPlayer in its own right, which is typically about an hour afters it's shown.

Does anyone know why they restrict it like this? I'm guessing marketing reasons. Or does anyone know a workaround?

Scott.

I'll have to try as I have never needed to. However, there is a parallel with BBC sounds in that if you "catch" a program before it has finished broadcasting you can let it run back or forth and follow it until the end. But, if you try to find the program immediately after it has finished, you can't for some considerably time - it's as thought they don't "post" it for an hour or so, which can be annoying.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 7th, 2022, 8:38 am

Gerry557 wrote:I have never noticed this issue but then again I've not looked for it.

If you know a show is on you can record it on a free view box like the humax aura and lots have catch up services.

For the moment I have no terrestrial or satellite TV access so making do with Internet only.

My simple need is, for example, to be able to watch the BBC six o'clock news on TV if I switch it on at 6.35. I can't seem to do it using the (LG) smart TV app, or by casting from my phone or tablet. If anyone knows of a way...

Scott.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 7th, 2022, 8:40 am

Arborbridge wrote:I'll have to try as I have never needed to. However, there is a parallel with BBC sounds in that if you "catch" a program before it has finished broadcasting you can let it run back or forth and follow it until the end. But, if you try to find the program immediately after it has finished, you can't for some considerably time - it's as thought they don't "post" it for an hour or so, which can be annoying.

Yes exactly the same. But with the anomaly that you can rewind 2 hours of live TV on the android app on a phone or tablet (but can't cast the same to the TV).

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 7th, 2022, 9:38 am

I know the problem. The viewing guide on my LG TV starts from the present set of broadcasts - not from this morning, which is often what I really want. When I get to this point, I generally find that the iPlayer app on my smartphone gets me where I want to be. I haven't noticed a two hour limit on the rewind, but maybe I've just missed it?

However, I think this might be a different thing from the time-lag between when the time when a programme ends and the time when it becomes available for catch-up viewing. HIGNFY runs for half an hour at 9.00 pm, but if you try to catch it at 9.35 you'll be out of luck until Nadine Dorries has finished vetting it the iPlayer people get round to putting it on the system. (Yawn.)

Sometimes I find that I can catch a recently-aired programme quickly using the TV's Search facility. At other times, not. Illogical, I know..... ;)

Either way, the different behaviour of the various iPlayer apps on TVs, smartphones and computers does give the impression that the BBC really hasn't thought hard enough about the consistency of its platform.

BJ

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » May 7th, 2022, 12:20 pm

FWIW the BBC do confirm this behaviour here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/ques ... ve-restart

"If you're using the website or the mobile/tablet app, you can manually select a point in time in the live stream up to a maximum of two hours ago. If you're using the TV app, you can rewind to the beginning of the programme that's currently playing."

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » May 7th, 2022, 1:32 pm

Does anyone know if the Firestick, Now TV thingy, Apple TV, or any other dongle or service gets round this?

Scott.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 8th, 2022, 2:47 pm

I have noticed this effect on SKY+ Catch up TV. My feeling is that prerecorded programmes are instantly available, whereas live programmes are subject to a delay until the recording has been uploaded. Some "live" programmes are actually been recorded some time earlier, like Question Time, but the delay still seems apply.

TJH

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » May 8th, 2022, 3:33 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I have noticed this effect on SKY+ Catch up TV. My feeling is that prerecorded programmes are instantly available, whereas live programmes are subject to a delay until the recording has been uploaded. Some "live" programmes are actually been recorded some time earlier, like Question Time, but the delay still seems apply.

TJH

QT has an hour delay between live recording and broadcast I think - enough time to edit anything out that shouldn't be broadcast and possibly get you into trouble with Ofcom... ;)

Live TV is fraught with danger, technically and 'what if' wise.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » May 8th, 2022, 4:10 pm

Stompa wrote:FWIW the BBC do confirm this behaviour here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/ques ... ve-restart

"If you're using the website or the mobile/tablet app, you can manually select a point in time in the live stream up to a maximum of two hours ago. If you're using the TV app, you can rewind to the beginning of the programme that's currently playing."

Yeah but what they don't tell you is that "rewind to the beginning of the programme that's currently playing" in the TV app only works if the beginning of the programme is less than 2 hours ago. If you come in to, say, a 3 hour film after 2.5 hours then "restart" will start 30 minutes into it.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”