Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown, for Donating to support the site

Installing a Freesat dish

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Installing a Freesat dish

Postby servodude » October 12th, 2023, 10:33 am

didds wrote:as a complete aside its just occurred to me that in a power cut/loss of b/band service (POTS here) we couldn't call 999 (other than mobiles etc which could be out of charge). But I then though thats no difference to a house with no landline at all.

That was a minor worry to me also - so I didn't make the jump till about a decade ago

I don't imagine there's can be very long left before all calls are over the Internet, with PSTN consigned to history

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » October 12th, 2023, 10:47 am

As I type this at my PC (wirelessly connected to my home network), I'm getting 137.1mbs download & 29.9mbs upload. I'm on Plusnet's 145mb package (not 150 as a i previously said).

Pretty good and more than enough for what I need.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 12th, 2023, 10:59 am

Lucky you!

We live 1 mile form the nearest town centre, and just under that to the nearest village centre, on the A road that links them. We get ~20 Mbps download and ~3Mbs upload!

Your upload is faster than our download!

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » October 12th, 2023, 11:02 am

didds wrote:Lucky you!

We live 1 mile form the nearest town centre, and just under that to the nearest village centre, on the A road that links them. We get ~20 Mbps download and ~3Mbs upload!

I'd actually read your post before you'd typed it :-)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 12th, 2023, 11:23 am

didds wrote:Lucky you!

[Four Yorkshiremen]
20Mbps? Sheer Luxury!
We are just 400m from the local telephone exchange so have an exchange only line, meaning that the cable goes straight to the exchange rather than via a cabinet. That, plus the fact that our pavements are not adopted by the council, means that nobody has any interest in getting permission from all the householders in the street to dig up the pavement to install fibre, so we are stuck with 12Mbps for the next 100 years or so.
[/Four Yorkshiremen]

--kiloran

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 12th, 2023, 11:27 am

kiloran wrote:[Four Yorkshiremen]
20Mbps? Sheer Luxury!
We are just 400m from the local telephone exchange so have an exchange only line, meaning that the cable goes straight to the exchange rather than via a cabinet. That, plus the fact that our pavements are not adopted by the council, means that nobody has any interest in getting permission from all the householders in the street to dig up the pavement to install fibre, so we are stuck with 12Mbps for the next 100 years or so.
[/Four Yorkshiremen]

--kiloran

Microwave?... :)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2 ... dband.html

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » October 12th, 2023, 11:33 am

I was thinking Starlink is coming close to being an option for many

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » October 12th, 2023, 11:43 am

Tedx wrote:I was thinking Starlink is coming close to being an option for many

Indeed it is. And 5g is also a good option providing there's a decent enough signal.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 12th, 2023, 11:58 am

BullDog wrote:

Indeed it is. And 5g is also a good option providing there's a decent enough signal.

I've just got a new 5G mobile, Pixel 8 Pro as well as my old 5G Pixel 6a on a different network and I'm looking at the GL.iNet travel routers as some of them have dual/multi WAN capability with load balancing and auto failover - which would mean I could get both mobiles running and aggregate the signals to provide decent bandwidth ethernet / WiFi in my flat or when out and about for my laptop...https://www.gl-inet.com/products/

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » October 12th, 2023, 12:17 pm

Infrasonic wrote:
BullDog wrote:Indeed it is. And 5g is also a good option providing there's a decent enough signal.

I've just got a new 5G mobile, Pixel 8 Pro as well as my old 5G Pixel 6a on a different network and I'm looking at the GL.iNet travel routers as some of them have dual/multi WAN capability with load balancing and auto failover - which would mean I could get both mobiles running and aggregate the signals to provide decent bandwidth ethernet / WiFi in my flat or when out and about for my laptop...https://www.gl-inet.com/products/

When I was living in a city centre apartment 2018 to 2020, I didn't bother with fixed telephone line. I had a really good 4g service which was as fast and reliable as my FTTC service at home. Mobile is certainly a viable option in the right circumstances.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Postby genou » October 12th, 2023, 4:38 pm

BullDog wrote:When I was living in a city centre apartment 2018 to 2020, I didn't bother with fixed telephone line. I had a really good 4g service which was as fast and reliable as my FTTC service at home. Mobile is certainly a viable option in the right circumstances.

I'm running a 5G router to support 2*( 4k Firestick / laptop / phone ) . It ( an MC801A by ZTE ) also has two Ethernet ports, so I was able to keep my wired NAS and Hive hub.

There is an expected wander in signal strength from the tower - can go between -89 and -120dBm, but it makes little practical difference. I'm currently getting 250 Mbps into the router ( which is the real threshold since internally it runs WiFi6 ). The best I have on record is 301Mbps, and the lowest is 96Mbps. But I'd reckon 250 -ish is the norm. The local 5G tower is pretty close though.

The downside is that I have no in-house recording capability. That's rarely in issue with catch up, although ITVX does appear to suck in that if you arrive part way through live sport and choose "watch from beginning" that is exactly what you have to do - you can't fast forward through the warm up. And they take an age to get catch up online.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 12th, 2023, 5:00 pm

genou wrote:........although ITVX does appear to suck in that if you arrive part way through live sport and choose "watch from beginning" that is exactly what you have to do - you can't fast forward through the warm up. And they take an age to get catch up online.

ITVX doesn't appear to suck, it actually does suck. Many months ago, I entered into a long back-and-forth email discussion with their "help" desk about some of the problems (including the one you have mentioned) and I just gave up. They just didn't seem to have the brain cells to understand the problems, never mind find a solution. Idiots!

--kiloran

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » November 15th, 2023, 10:02 am

BullDog wrote:

Mobile Starlink use on the west coast of Scotland (i.e. the a*se end of nowhere - 200mb+ download / 13mb upload)

£85pm for the mobile set up...£75pm for fixed location (+ initial cost for the gear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op5d3u-O8-c

For comparison, my full fibre provider (Plusnet) are currently offering me 500mb download/75mb upload for £36pm (minimum guaranteed download 275mb)

So roughly double the cost of a fixed installation for less speed (although I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference). Expensive....unless you're other options are just a few mb download speeds.

Ive been using Sky Stream for more than a month now and on 145mb it streams live football in 4k/UHD with zero issues. So unless you're one of these gamer types.....

What Im saying is that satellite dishes nailed to the outside of your house are fast becoming relics of the past (ok, Starlink is a satellite dish of sorts :D )

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » April 30th, 2024, 11:53 am

Tedx wrote:
BullDog wrote:Indeed it is. And 5g is also a good option providing there's a decent enough signal.

Mobile Starlink use on the west coast of Scotland (i.e. the a*se end of nowhere - 200mb+ download / 13mb upload)

£85pm for the mobile set up...£75pm for fixed location (+ initial cost for the gear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op5d3u-O8-c

For comparison, my full fibre provider (Plusnet) are currently offering me 500mb download/75mb upload for £36pm (minimum guaranteed download 275mb)

So roughly double the cost of a fixed installation for less speed (although I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference). Expensive....unless you're other options are just a few mb download speeds.

Ive been using Sky Stream for more than a month now and on 145mb it streams live football in 4k/UHD with zero issues. So unless you're one of these gamer types.....

What Im saying is that satellite dishes nailed to the outside of your house are fast becoming relics of the past (ok, Starlink is a satellite dish of sorts :D )

I'm late to this and a little off topic, but is the data collection (who's watching and what they're watching) better for the companies via the internet than satellite? If I watch TV via internet, then I am signed in - to various providers and subscriptions. Is this also true with Freesat?

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”