Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

File does not exist

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

File does not exist

Postby GrahamPlatt » June 17th, 2022, 8:36 pm

So I’m updating a spreadsheet that I created at the beginning of the year to run my budget. It’s been evolving as I go and is now pretty nice, and useful. I use LibreOffice on a dual-boot W10/Linux laptop, so can access the same file from either system and have never had a problem. I finish the work and restart to switch into W10. Am then reminded of another entry I ought to have made in the budget. Open budget via LO in the task bar.. “file does not exist”. ??? I’ve only just been using it. Open file manager and it’s there in “recent files”. Click. “file does not exist”. Navigate to the actual folder. Not there. Reboot into Linux. Same deal. Oh dear, when did I last backup? 4 weeks ago. Oops.

So I get back into W10 and run chkdsk /f /r - for two hours. Navigate to folder… and there it is. Phew. Lesson learned. Will backup more often.

Darka
Lemon Slice

Re: File does not exist

Postby Darka » June 17th, 2022, 9:48 pm

I've moved over to using Microsoft OneDrive for everything, it keeps up to 30 days of backups and it's own recycle bin.

But I still keep 2 additional backups, just in case.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » June 18th, 2022, 7:25 am

GrahamPlatt wrote:Oh dear, when did I last backup? 4 weeks ago. Oops.
.... Will backup more often.

While I'm not a fan of OneDrive, it does provide a good solution, if you chose to use it and are running windows most of the time.

However regardless of the eventual location of the backup, automating it would mean that you don't forget.
As you use linux, can I recommend writing a script to run under Anacron (which is probably installed).

It's as simple as testing your script then copying it to /etc/cron.daily so that it runs every day. (edit, don't forget set permissions so that all users can execute it or Anacron may not be able to).

Here is my script (which deliberately doesn't backup everything in Documents)
rsync -av --modify-window=1 --chmod=ugo=rw "Calibre Library"/* /mnt/NAS/kids_library
rsync -av --modify-window=1 --chmod=ugo=rw "AudioBooks"/* /mnt/NAS/AudioBooks
rsync -av --modify-window=1 --chmod=ugo=rw "Documents/Share records"/* /mnt/NAS/"Share records"

NOTE, a better backup script might keep cumulative backups or use tar. I chose to copy the files and not remove files from the copy that I had deleted from my laptop. This is/was because the files were/are shared and are only act as a backup as a side effect. The directory /mnt/NAS is actually a device on my home network available over WiFi.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 18th, 2022, 10:30 am

GrahamPlatt wrote:So I’m updating a spreadsheet that I created at the beginning of the year to run my budget. It’s been evolving as I go and is now pretty nice, and useful. I use LibreOffice on a dual-boot W10/Linux laptop, so can access the same file from either system and have never had a problem. I finish the work and restart to switch into W10. Am then reminded of another entry I ought to have made in the budget. Open budget via LO in the task bar.. “file does not exist”. ??? I’ve only just been using it. Open file manager and it’s there in “recent files”. Click. “file does not exist”. Navigate to the actual folder. Not there. Reboot into Linux. Same deal. Oh dear, when did I last backup? 4 weeks ago. Oops.

So I get back into W10 and run chkdsk /f /r - for two hours. Navigate to folder… and there it is. Phew. Lesson learned. Will backup more often.

I don't know, but could the fact that you're accessing (and presumably writing?) from both OS' have caused some corruption? (filesystem quirks?)

Maybe some recent OS update has changed something?

I did a quick search and there are plenty of hits on the Libreoffice forums for similar behaviour so maybe it's worth investigating to find the root(!) cause?

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » June 18th, 2022, 3:45 pm

I'm always a little nervous depending on writing to NTFS from Linux, so on systems that must dual boot (PC hardware is cheap enough I can generally either buy enough RAM a VM is possible or if I need excellent performance just another machine) I tend to have a separate FAT32 partition that they can both access for files I need from either OS.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 19th, 2022, 7:51 am

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » June 19th, 2022, 8:36 am

Infrasonic wrote:https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=29895

Haha. Thanks for the reminder! However, that was not an issue this time.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”