Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Big button mobile phone?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
NearlyThere
Lemon Pip

Big button mobile phone?

Postby NearlyThere » June 20th, 2022, 8:10 pm

Can any fools recommend a "big button" mobile phone for use by an elderly relative?
I've looked on the popular Internet shops, but reading reviews leaves me nervous about suitability.
It'll be used for making and receiving calls only, no need for anything more technical.
Unlocked so we can pop in a cheap monthly contract SIM.
Thanks,
N.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Big button mobile phone?

Postby Itsallaguess » June 20th, 2022, 8:42 pm

NearlyThere wrote:
Can any fools recommend a "big button" mobile phone for use by an elderly relative?

I've looked on the popular Internet shops, but reading reviews leaves me nervous about suitability.

It'll be used for making and receiving calls only, no need for anything more technical.

Unlocked so we can pop in a cheap monthly contract SIM.

The 'Doro' brand of mobiles always seem to get consistently good reviews regarding ease-of-use for elderly etc.

Here's a link to an Amazon search for 'Doro mobile phones', where you can have a good browse through the user-reviews etc.. -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doro-Mobile-Phones/s?k=Doro+Mobile+Phones

It's probably worth keeping in mind the expected lifespan of 2G mobile signals nowadays, so perhaps best to aim for 4G as a minimum spec perhaps?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » June 20th, 2022, 9:44 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:The 'Doro' brand of mobiles always seem to get consistently good reviews regarding ease-of-use for elderly etc.

Here's a link to an Amazon search for 'Doro mobile phones', where you can have a good browse through the user-reviews etc.. -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doro-Mobile-Phones/s?k=Doro+Mobile+Phones

It's probably worth keeping in mind the expected lifespan of 2G mobile signals nowadays, so perhaps best to aim for 4G as a minimum spec perhaps?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

My mother used a Doro phone for some years, the previous version to the Doro 5860 (the new version is 4G), without any problems.

Aside from the big buttons and big display, one of the things she found useful is that it comes with a charging cradle so she didn’t have to fiddle about plugging it in to charge.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 21st, 2022, 6:28 am

Another vote for Doro - they also do things like big button TV remotes.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 21st, 2022, 6:43 am

Itsallaguess wrote:It's probably worth keeping in mind the expected lifespan of 2G mobile signals nowadays, so perhaps best to aim for 4G as a minimum spec perhaps?

You would expect 2g to be on the way out but that is not the case
https://hyphabit.io/2g-network-closure-uk/

NearlyThere
Lemon Pip

Postby NearlyThere » June 21st, 2022, 6:52 am

Thanks all - Looks like the 4G DORO is the one.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » June 21st, 2022, 8:16 am

A Doro was my first thought but a smart phone can be useful if circumstances allow.

The phone button shows a large display of numbers but the ability to put ones close contacts as pictures on the front screen made things very simple for elderly mother in law.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 21st, 2022, 8:45 am

I have a DORO 1360 in the box on the fireplace.

We got it for mum when she went into a care home, she managed reasonably OK with it with some help, but by then was also struggling with the landline set she'd had for years. We chose this as it was clearer than the newer one as it has black buttons and white digits. Also good and loud.

The only slight issue with them is that there isn't a dedicated 'loudspeaker' button, which she needed on unless she had her hearing aids in. We solved this by putting a blob of nail varnish on the top right 'menu' one you press when in a call to activate it, only to discover that if you press it before the other person has answered, it cuts the call off (you need to press the other 'menu'' button at that point!). To be fair it does tell you on the screen above the button what the button does, but why they swap sides is a bit daft.

I've been trying to Freecycle it on and off, so if you message me your address I can post this one over to you.

Paul

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 21st, 2022, 8:52 am

DrFfybes wrote:I've been trying to Freecycle it on and off, so if you message me your address I can post this one over to you.
Paul

What a great place this forum is :)
a very generous gesture

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 21st, 2022, 9:06 am

NearlyThere wrote:Can any fools recommend a "big button" mobile phone for use by an elderly relative?

See above. Just realised I didn't quote you in my reply so by doing this so you get a notification.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 21st, 2022, 9:09 am

You should get notifications if you have posted in the thread
but I can't remember if that is default on this list
ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options

NearlyThere
Lemon Pip

Postby NearlyThere » June 21st, 2022, 10:21 am

DrFfybes wrote:I have a DORO 1360 in the box on the fireplace.

We got it for mum when she went into a care home, she managed reasonably OK with it with some help, but by then was also struggling with the landline set she'd had for years. We chose this as it was clearer than the newer one as it has black buttons and white digits. Also good and loud.

The only slight issue with them is that there isn't a dedicated 'loudspeaker' button, which she needed on unless she had her hearing aids in. We solved this by putting a blob of nail varnish on the top right 'menu' one you press when in a call to activate it, only to discover that if you press it before the other person has answered, it cuts the call off (you need to press the other 'menu'' button at that point!). To be fair it does tell you on the screen above the button what the button does, but why they swap sides is a bit daft.

I've been trying to Freecycle it on and off, so if you message me your address I can post this one over to you.

Paul

What a very generous offer! I'm touched. PM sent (I think!)
Many thanks
Neil

NearlyThere
Lemon Pip

Postby NearlyThere » June 22nd, 2022, 10:40 am

DrFfybes wrote:I have a DORO 1360 in the box on the fireplace.
Paul

Paul - The phone arrived this morning. It looks perfect! I'll get it set up ready for my MiL to give it a try next time we visit.
Thank you very much for your generosity and taking the time post it to me. I'll be making a small donation to our favorite charity in your name.

pje16 wrote:What a great place this forum is :)
a very generous gesture

Absolutely agree. Wonderful people.

Neil

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » June 22nd, 2022, 2:53 pm

NearlyThere wrote:Paul - The phone arrived this morning. It looks perfect! I'll get it set up ready for my MiL to give it a try next time we visit.
Thank you very much for your generosity and taking the time post it to me. I'll be making a small donation to our favorite charity in your name.

Neil

So what you are saying is that you asked for a recommendation for a product on here, and 36 hours later a free one arrived on your doorstep? Mind if I borrow your post?
Can any fools recommend a "big button" mobile phone British built supercar for use by an elderly relative my wife?
It'll be used for making and receiving calls shopping and weekends away only, no need for anything more technical.
Unlocked so we can pop in a cheap monthly contract SIM and drive it away.

Fingers crossed :)

Paul

NearlyThere
Lemon Pip

Postby NearlyThere » June 22nd, 2022, 5:50 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
So what you are saying is that you asked for a recommendation for a product on here, and 36 hours later a free one arrived on your doorstep? Mind if I borrow your post?
Can any fools recommend a "big button" mobile phone British built supercar for use by an elderly relative my wife?
It'll be used for making and receiving calls shopping and weekends away only, no need for anything more technical.
Unlocked so we can pop in a cheap monthly contract SIM and drive it away.

Fingers crossed :)

Paul

Ha, good luck with that! :lol: :D

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » June 23rd, 2022, 7:13 am

there would be a panalty if incorrect postage has been paid !

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 1st, 2022, 8:49 am

pje16 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:It's probably worth keeping in mind the expected lifespan of 2G mobile signals nowadays, so perhaps best to aim for 4G as a minimum spec perhaps?

Yep, 2G will outlast 3G oddly enough - I'm expecting to see 3G disappear in the next year or two (good riddance in my opinion)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 1st, 2022, 9:09 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:
pje16 wrote:

Yep, 2G will outlast 3G oddly enough - I'm expecting to see 3G disappear in the next year or two (good riddance in my opinion)

I've had to deal with 2G being pulled in different parts of the world (sometimes with little warning - or not enough to deal with reworking remote M2M installations nicely :( )
- and in other cases (looking at you Verizon! ) the on going use of CDMA (it was probably in the American constitution :) )
...what we need is a future proof global standard!

And I don't mean UHF! (they'll bloody half your channel bandwidth every so often :( )

But yeah .... 4G LTE seems like a good idea

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 1st, 2022, 9:25 am

I'm dealing with refarming currently, and have lost more of my hair..
There are some challenges around 3G removal (Smart Meters etc- but one of the IoT variants would be a good fit . NB-IoT is the low data rate, high latency jobbie IIRC)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 1st, 2022, 9:39 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:I'm dealing with refarming currently, and have lost more of my hair..
There are some challenges around 3G removal (Smart Meters etc- but one of the IoT variants would be a good fit . NB-IoT is the low data rate, high latency jobbie IIRC)

With Sigfox dead it seems ready to move in to that low rate backhaul position.
Now we need someone to sort out the PTP or ISM space in a way that doesn't require a dedicated protocol (Digi are really good here but the Lora front end is how I'd do it if I was starting from scratch)

I think we've gone orf topic tho

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”