Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

TalkTalk and TeamViewer

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

TalkTalk and TeamViewer

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 25th, 2022, 5:52 pm

I have a fairly elderly acquaintance who I have given a little assistance from time to time with his aged and frustratingly slow laptop. Eventually Eric decided that it was time for a new laptop having postponed the day of reckoning due to a fear of having to get to grips with a new machine and version of Windows etc. I offered to help set up his new laptop such that it was as easy and familiar to use as his previous one.

Anticipating some need for on-going support while Eric gets used to his new machine, I decided to install TeamViewer on it. I like TeamViewer and found it convenient to use it set the machine up despite the fact that the laptop was on the same desk. All went well and I gave Eric a walk-through on his new computer and gave him instructions on how to connect to his wifi when he got home.

Next day Eric called and said that he'd started TeamViewer but couldn't see entries for the machine's ID nor the session password. I paid Eric a visit and did a few other tasks that I'd been anticipating to do remotely, install a printer etc. But I couldn't get the Machine ID or password to show up.The irony of having to travel to fix software that was supposed to enable remote connectivity was not lost on me.

I returned home somewhat perplexed and annoyed that I hadn't been able to fix the problem. My first thought was that it might have been a router setting. Whilst searching I found that TalkTalk have a security option which blocks TeamViewer because it is so often used by scammers. This may explain why the last lot of scammers who called me were trying to get me to install Anydesk. AFAIK it is possible to change the security settings (Homesafe?) by logging in to a TalkTalk account online. Naturally my friend has no recollection of actually having an online account.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else has the same problem.

RC

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: TalkTalk and TeamViewer

Postby mc2fool » June 25th, 2022, 7:07 pm

I've never used TeamViewer but it looks like there's some useful info here (read it all, past the initial rant ;)).

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Technology/Team-Viewer-Simple-solution/td-p/2227426

It seems there are two solutions:

a) Don't use TalkTalk's DNS servers. These are normally set in the router, and devices on the LAN by default use the router for DNS (and so TalkTalk's servers), so you can change it at either place.

b) Get him to log into his TalkTalk account (he will have one) and go to menu item My Services -> View HomeSafe settings and turn off Scam Protection. (I'm a TT user and I've just logged in and verified that that option exists. It's on for me and must be so by default 'cos I don't remember enabling it...)

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » June 25th, 2022, 7:19 pm

mc2fool wrote:I've never used TeamViewer but it looks like there's some useful info here (read it all, past the initial rant ;)).

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Technology/Team-Viewer-Simple-solution/td-p/2227426

a) Don't use TalkTalk's DNS servers. These are normally set in the router, and devices on the LAN by default use the router for DNS (and so TalkTalk's servers), so you can change it at either place.

Thanks!

I did change the DNS on the laptop 8.8.8.8\1.1.1.1 (which made no difference) but I didn't get as far as the router's settings. TBH I assumed the router's DNS would be fixed. But, and here I'm probably showing my ignorance, TV uses port 5938 outgoing, wouldn't that be where the rule was set at TT upstream of the router?

RC

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 25th, 2022, 8:31 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
mc2fool wrote:I've never used TeamViewer but it looks like there's some useful info here (read it all, past the initial rant ;)).

Thanks!

I did change the DNS on the laptop 8.8.8.8\1.1.1.1 (which made no difference) but I didn't get as far as the router's settings. TBH I assumed the router's DNS would be fixed. But, and here I'm probably showing my ignorance, TV uses port 5938 outgoing, wouldn't that be where the rule was set at TT upstream of the router?

RC

Most TT supplied routers allow you to change the DNS settings, see here, but if it is purely a DNS thing then changing it on the laptop should be enough. Dunno how ports are handled upstream.

If you https://www.google.com/search?q=talktalk+teamviewer there are plenty of results, hopefully some of them helpful. ;)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » June 26th, 2022, 9:55 am

DNS can be set in a few places as mc2fool has highlighted.

I always set it up across the board, routers, PC/Phone/Browsers et al. Even then sometimes the DNS can get overridden, I've recently been reading about some ISP's doing this - didn't see TT mentioned specifically.
Some of the phone home telemetry that MS/Google generate will override the default DNS too...

I'm currently using the multi OS Cloudflare Warp encrypted DNS app - more flexibility with settings (bypass lists etc).
NextDNS looks interesting though so I might A/B the two soon.

https://1.1.1.1/
https://nextdns.io/

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”