Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Windows 11 on a Pi

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Redmires
Lemon Slice

Windows 11 on a Pi

Postby Redmires » June 30th, 2022, 12:39 pm

I've no great urge to upgrade to Windows 11, especially as my laptops & desktop are over 2 years old and out of spec (without tweaking) but here's a nifty video from 'Explaining Computers' on installing Win 11 on a Pi (v3 or v4). It's only an evaluation version but the chap himself seems quite impressed with it. I've not tried it myself yet but it's on my todo list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGF_HaSdFyA&t=617s

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windows 11 on a Pi

Postby Infrasonic » June 30th, 2022, 1:51 pm

https://www.ghacks.net/2022/06/27/bypas ... ith-rufus/
The latest version of Rufus, Rufus 3.19 Beta, supports several new features that improve the setup process of the Windows 11 operating system. In particular, it allows you to skip the mandatory Windows 11 account requirement during first start of the system and to set answers to "don't allow / refuse" when Windows asks for user input regarding privacy.

Rufus supports additional options that make the life of Windows administrators easier. It includes options to download the latest ISO images released by Microsoft, skip Windows 11's hardware requirements, and to skip the requirements during Windows inplace upgrades.

I wouldn't do it on my main PC but if you want to put W11 on a secondary PC that doesn't qualify on the hardware front the Rufus route looks quite handy as it combines many of the known workarounds in one place. Maybe wait for it to exit beta...

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 1st, 2022, 2:51 am

Infrasonic wrote:I wouldn't do it on my main PC but if you want to put W11 on a secondary PC that doesn't qualify on the hardware front the Rufus route looks quite handy as it combines many of the known workarounds in one place. Maybe wait for it to exit beta...

I wouldn't do it on my main machine either, but fortunately I have several spares. Using the known workarounds I have two unsupported devices that are happily running W11. One of them is running the Insider Release Preview 22H2 build 22621 that's due to be released as the next W11 feature update, probably this October.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 1st, 2022, 2:57 am

Breelander wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:I wouldn't do it on my main PC but if you want to put W11 on a secondary PC that doesn't qualify on the hardware front the Rufus route looks quite handy as it combines many of the known workarounds in one place. Maybe wait for it to exit beta...

I wouldn't do it on my main machine either, but fortunately I have several spares. Using the known workarounds I have two unsupported devices that are happily running W11. One of them is running the Insider Release Preview 22H2 build 22621 that's due to be released as the next W11 feature update, probably this October.

Any benefit to it? Does it run better than 10 on aging HW?

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » July 1st, 2022, 3:21 am

servodude wrote:...Any benefit to it? Does it run better than 10 on aging HW?

There's little noticeable difference in performance. Although the UI has been redesigned the underlying OS is virtually the same.

W11 is intended to be more secure and has a lot of security features enabled by default. Those same features are also available in W10 but they are disable by default. Core Isolation Memory Integrity is one such feature.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/104 ... -10-a.html

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » July 1st, 2022, 8:52 am

I tried running Windows 11 on my Raspberry Pi 3,while W11 was still in development. It worked, but you have to be very very very patient, because it is very very very slow. I did get to see a bit about W11 before its official release, but I don't think it is of any practical use.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 1st, 2022, 10:01 am

Breelander wrote:
servodude wrote:...Any benefit to it? Does it run better than 10 on aging HW?

There's little noticeable difference in performance. Although the UI has been redesigned the underlying OS is virtually the same.

W11 is intended to be more secure and has a lot of security features enabled by default. Those same features are also available in W10 but they are disable by default. Core Isolation Memory Integrity is one such feature.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/104 ... -10-a.html

It's easy for the more aware of us to dismiss W11 as 'cosmetic' but I think the security issues are important.

The vast majority of users have no interest in the inner workings and probably only have a vague awareness of security when some big breach reaches the mainstream news media - by which time it may be too late.

There's some very sophisticated malware floating around these days, even IT industry insiders are getting caught out.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 4th, 2022, 12:25 pm

If you'd wondered..https://www.extremetech.com/computing/3 ... uch-longer

For years, Windows PCs have flirted with ARM processors, but none of the hardware was good enough to compete with x86 chips from Intel and AMD. Now, we might know why. According to a new report from XDA Developers, Microsoft has an exclusivity agreement with Qualcomm that prevents other vendors’ ARM designs from integrating with Windows. That’s the bad news. The good news is it will expire soon...

Cont.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”