Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Time to move from iphone to Android?

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Time to move from iphone to Android?

Postby raybarrow » July 3rd, 2022, 9:31 am

Hi Folks,

We have used iphones since the children 'introduced' us to them (I know, sad isn't it). They had Apple Macs, we had PCs. At the time I thought the iphone was a superior bit of user friendly kit. However the Android seems to have grown up and equals, if not surpasses, the iphone (I know that's partly subjective) particularly in battery life.
When our current, refurbished, phones start to misbehave we need to have a serious look at Android.
Usage: phone calls, texts, whatsapp, Gmail, photos, online banking Apps, good internet including hotspot facility (I take my laptop to do DBS checks away from home). I don't use Facebook (Mrs B does)) Twitter, etc. The Lemon Fool is my social media. I don't have music on my phone (still use an itouch). Don't watch videos.
My feeling is that a fairly 'average' Android will be more than enough for our needs at a much better price than an iphone

My questions really are about the ease of backing up and data transfer. The iphone, using iTunes, is a doddle - plug phone in to laptop, click Backup, job done. Are Androids that easy?
Iphone just work and are pleasant to use, can I expect that from Androids? Is it a case, these days, of a phone is a phone - pick one you like.

Cheers,
Ray

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Time to move from iphone to Android?

Postby servodude » July 3rd, 2022, 9:42 am

raybarrow wrote:My questions really are about the ease of backing up and data transfer

Your Android phone will normally be used with a Google account.
By default stuff on your phone is backed up to the cloud there (I think you get 15GB free). If you get a new phone it just restores on it when you tell it your account details
- otherwise transferring stuff to PC just works as though your phone was a USB device; dragging and dropping stuff through explorer
no need for anything like iTunes... but there might be something available if you want it (you're less forced in to a particular way if working)

I think there are also ways to ease and automate the transfer from Apple - but I've never had to do it myself

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » July 3rd, 2022, 10:09 am

I have just moved the other way. The reason being the true cost of ownership of Android phones. I have used Androids for years. The last one I bought
was a good Samsung phone (S9 - new) in November 2018. Three and a half years later Samsung have stopped security updates for this phone.
I could have bought an IPhone 6s in 2015 and seven years later it would still be supported.

Far too much of my life is currently being routed through my Smartphone (Password, Banking, Sundry Secure Apps etc, etc) for me to be happy using an insecure device - so I bought an IPhone, factored over a seven year plus lifespan it works out a lot cheaper than Android. (And you are not passing all your personal data to Google)

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 3rd, 2022, 10:14 am

raybarrow wrote:Iphone just work and are pleasant to use, can I expect that from Androids? Is it a case, these days, of a phone is a phone - pick one you like.

Yes and, err no.
I really like my *drod phone and there are a lot of app's in the app store to chose from. Some are better than others.

I have recently installed a notebook application that I'm struggling to get to grips with. I'm still stuck with struggling to think unless I have a pad of paper and a pen.

Also the *droid interface is different from Iphone. I struggled when I needed to use an Iphone for work. You may find the same moving to *droid.

Useful features/apps. Shared Calendar. The wife and I don't double book things. Shared shopping list. Things are added using Alexa usually but often turn up on the list while I'm shopping. Portfolio tracker. Audible for talking books. Podcast app. Paprika cooking/ meal planner. Kindle for ebooks*. Ebay. Investors Chronicle in case the post doesn't come. Google sheets, for my finances (mostly used from my laptop but sometimes by phone). Google Authenticator for 2 factor authentication with some financial services. Broker app for share dealing and a separate one for bitcoin. A decent calculator app, rather than the poor supplied one. Email (both gmail and talktalk). I have used facebook and whatsapp, but don't like them.

*I am not learning a foreign language, but apparently a good trick is to buy both ebook and talking book versions in that language. The ebook cursor will track the talking book and you get both written and spoken words at roughly the same point.

I'm sure that much of the above is also available for Iphone, just mentioning that they work on my "budget" *droid phone (about £100).

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » July 3rd, 2022, 10:33 am

Which? strongly support Apple iPhones as they are security supported long-term and the eco system does not depend on making you the product. My next phone will be Apple having previously always used androids. This is because it seems that more and more important stuff like banking apps is going onto phones.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 3rd, 2022, 10:54 am

CliffEdge wrote:Which? strongly support Apple iPhones as they are security supported long-term and the eco system does not depend on making you the product. My next phone will be Apple having previously always used androids. This is because it seems that more and more important stuff like banking apps is going onto phones.

^ that bold bit
Do you have their reasoning for that?
It seems a bit unusual given the "walled garden"

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » July 3rd, 2022, 11:01 am

I understand the reasoning is that Google use android phones to gather more accurate data about the owner/account holder in order to allow them to sell more accurately targeted advertising.

By default both Android and iPhone are walled gardens for apps and very few people sideload android apps.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » July 3rd, 2022, 11:11 am

xeny wrote:I understand the reasoning is that Google use android phones to gather more accurate data about the owner/account holder in order to allow them to sell more accurately targeted advertising.

By default both Android and iPhone are walled gardens for apps and very few people sideload android apps.

I can see the point and argument about advertising.

Having had to support two kids school iPads without having a Mac computer I really felt like I had signed over my life
It felt like you are expected to be "all in" to the eco-system if you wanted to do everyday tasks - as though I was literally the product in a way I've never felt with any other tech supplier

-sd

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 3rd, 2022, 11:22 am

servodude wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:Which? strongly support Apple iPhones as they are security supported long-term and the eco system does not depend on making you the product. My next phone will be Apple having previously always used androids. This is because it seems that more and more important stuff like banking apps is going onto phones.

^ that bold bit
Do you have their reasoning for that?
It seems a bit unusual given the "walled garden"

Indeed. Given that Apple Maps does track you. Whatsapp and Facebook too, regardless of if you are using an Iphone.
Personally I think that the greatest danger is to assume that there is no danger, so you need not investigate and make choices.

I chose Android, knowing that just like Windows and Apple it regularly checks in. For a time I ran PieHole and could see my wife's work Iphone doing so.

I note that no link was provided to the claim. Here is an article for those who actually want to look at secure alternatives.
https://www.makeuseof.com/best-phones-for-privacy/
Of note is that BOTH Apple and Google phones are listed. In addition to odd ones with hard kill switches on Wifi etc.

However when you install an app, you are taking a change. Both Apple and Google claim to vet the apps in their App stores, but it's a chance. I hope that it's bloody obvious that some apps can only function by sharing your data. Others gather far more data than they should. Angry birds is one of the worst offenders for gathering data that is not used to provide it's functionality. As far as I know, you can download it from Apples AppStore.
https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/15/popular-games/
https://thelogicalindian.com/trending/p ... sing-36054

So, Apple phones are as secure, or insecure as you chose to make them. Just like *droid phones can be.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » July 3rd, 2022, 11:46 am

There is a misapprehension that all Android phones are the same (if running the same version of the OS). This is very much not the case.
Samsung take security sufficiently seriously that they have a separate security layer (Knox) running over the top of Android. Others run Stock Android (Google and other Android One phones). Others use Android that has been "enhanced" by their manufacturers to a greater of lesser extent. These are the ones I would avoid like the plague.

At a corporate level my current company allows/uses Apple IOS or Samsung(+Knox) and bars everything else. This is purely due to security concerns regarding Android variants and is a tightening of the rules which used to ban just Huawei and ZTE.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » July 3rd, 2022, 11:51 am

xeny wrote:I understand the reasoning is that Google use android phones to gather more accurate data about the owner/account holder in order to allow them to sell more accurately targeted advertising.

In particular, it was interesting to hear in The News that Google have announced they will be deleting the location data they collect and make available from women who use abortion clinics, in order to protect them from the risk of reprisals. (Or something along those lines.)

I had vaguely realised phones track your location and it was probably all stored somewhere, but not to the extent it was available to the public. This data must have a value so Google are bound to be selling it, but with the Apple accent on privacy, I would hope they don't do the same with my location data.

I think Apple are ahead of the game on the privacy front. People are slowly beginning to realise they don't want to be the product.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » July 3rd, 2022, 12:12 pm

I've had Samsung phones for many years and never had any security issues and their automatic backup works well. As for tracking the phone, I was very glad that Samsung was doing that. I dropped it in our field and Samsung's Find my Phone located it exactly. I really do not like Apple's walled garden, though I'm also happy with my Ipad Pro which I virtually only use for watching films or reading the paper.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » July 3rd, 2022, 12:23 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:So, Apple phones are as secure, or insecure as you chose to make them. Just like *droid phones can be.

There are some apps, notably Whatsapp which have a reputation for endless security problems, though it has improved since Facebook were pushed into taking them over to clean up their security. You have to be pretty bad when Facebook are seen as an improvement!

whatsapp
https://www.cvedetails.com/product/5443 ... r_id=19851

When you have a single app with lots of features it does extend the attack surface for malicious activity, if you use separate apps for messaging, camera etc there is much less that any security vulnerability can do.

The strong points for Apple are:

Longevity - Every iPhone gets 5 years of support and they generally do last that long. if you buy a newly released iPhone you can sometimes get 7 years, but that will likely involve a battery replacement at some point. (I know a couple of people still using iPhone 5's even though they are now unsupported).

Apple Pay - Much more secure than the Android equivalent. It randomises the account numbers for every transaction. So the shop cannot link your purchases to a shadow profile unless you give then a separate loyalty/tracking card.

Touch screen - I don't know why, but they just seem to work better.

Strong points for Android:

More choice in keyboards

More choice in hardware, probably too much, but if you want something like a super rugged phone with a massive battery, or a green fair phone then Android has those options.

More open App store - Less insane policies around vetting of new applications, this only affects developers so while I pity anyone trying to develop and publish apps for iOS, it's also not my problem.

Cheaper to buy - so if you are a person who often breaks/loses your phones, these are less painful to replace.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » July 3rd, 2022, 12:33 pm

raybarrow wrote:Hi Folks,

My questions really are about the ease of backing up and data transfer. The iphone, using iTunes, is a doddle - plug phone in to laptop, click Backup, job done. Are Androids that easy?
Iphone just work and are pleasant to use, can I expect that from Androids? Is it a case, these days, of a phone is a phone - pick one you like.

Cheers,
Ray

I have a modestly priced Samsung phone. When it was new I logged into my Google/Chrome account and since then it has seamlessly worked with my W10 desktop and Chromebook. Everything is backed up automatically so for example a Word document started on the desktop can be accessed and modified on the phone or Chromebook.

However I admit that I don't use the phone for banking as I prefer to do this on a desktop. Touch wood, I've never had a security issue with the phone. Yes, Google does track my movements when the phone is turned on. But not when it turned off (as far as I know) :) .

My comments should be qualified by the admission that my (retired) lifestyle choice is to have the phone turned off most of the time. And I don't use many apps. Friends who twitch every time their iPhone sends them a message are embarrassed when asked what it is that is interrupting, say, a relaxed meal. It's usually something like a message from a retailer offering them a discount on a product that they don't need. ;)

So, yes, given a laid-back lifestyle, it is probably fine to transfer to Android and relax knowing Google looks after all the important details.

regards

Howard

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » July 3rd, 2022, 12:37 pm

Anyone interested in an Android phone, I'd suggest starting by having a look at one of these, link below. Probably 99% of what a £1000 iPhone does but at a 1/3 of the cost. Naturally, there's hundreds of other alternatives out there but I think at this level, OnePlus Nord2 and it's peers are something of a sweet spot for performance versus cost. HTH.

https://www.oneplus.com/uk/oneplus-nord-2-5g

PS There's utilities from OnePlus to assist in migrating to the phone.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » July 3rd, 2022, 12:47 pm

I found the following acticle interesting on the subject of android and apple phone updates.
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/old-phones-unsafe,news-24846.html

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 3rd, 2022, 1:00 pm

Howard wrote:
raybarrow wrote:Hi Folks,

Cheers,
Ray

However I admit that I don't use the phone for banking as I prefer to do this on a desktop. Touch wood, I've never had a security issue with the phone. Yes, Google does track my movements when the phone is turned on. But not when it turned off (as far as I know) :) .

Howard

But surely it only tracks you if you have the Location feature turned on? I only switch mine on if I need to use Google maps.

I like your idea about keeping your phone switched off. I plan to start doing this a lot more!

Steve

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » July 3rd, 2022, 1:10 pm

BullDog wrote:Anyone interested in an Android phone, I'd suggest starting by having a look at one of these, link below. Probably 99% of what a £1000 iPhone does but at a 1/3 of the cost. Naturally, there's hundreds of other alternatives out there but I think at this level, OnePlus Nord2 and it's peers are something of a sweet spot for performance versus cost. HTH.

https://www.oneplus.com/uk/oneplus-nord-2-5g

PS There's utilities from OnePlus to assist in migrating to the phone.

As a counterpoint - Here is why I wouldn't go near this phone.
It currently costs £379, it was released in July 2021 with three years of security updates. This means this phone will cease to be secure in 2 years time.
You will have paid £190 per year for your secure Android phone.

I paid around £700 for my latest Iphone, Yes it's a lot but I can expect 7 years security support. So my secure Iphone costs me £100 per year.

On top of this Oneplus run a heavily modified version of Android (why) called OxygenOS, created, developed, supported and updated from China.
Current security audits of the software are clean but all it takes is one update to change that.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 3rd, 2022, 1:55 pm

PhaseThree wrote:As a counterpoint - Here is why I wouldn't go near this phone.
It currently costs £379, it was released in July 2021 with three years of security updates. This means this phone will cease to be secure in 2 years time.

I paid around £700 for my latest Iphone, Yes it's a lot but I can expect 7 years security support. So my secure Iphone costs me £100 per year.

On top of this Oneplus run a heavily modified version of Android (why) called OxygenOS, created, developed, supported and updated from China.
Current security audits of the software are clean but all it takes is one update to change that.

I take it that you didn't follow scotia's link.
For Qualcomm, it means that all phones with Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets, beginning with the Snapdragon 888 that appeared on many 2021 flagships, will get four years of security updates and three Android version upgrades.

Qualifying phones include the Xiaomi Mi 11, the OnePlus 9 and, well, the Samsung Galaxy S21.

By my math £379 / 4 is less than £100.

But then I really doubt that your point was about the relative cost. I pointed out that my phone cost about £100, so clearly having kept it 2 years that's £50pa, 3 and it's down to £33pa.
I've just checked the phone website and there is a rom update available, which I'm currently downloading.

Of course it's a phone that's made in China, though in this case by a chinees company rather than an American one.

You pay's your money and makes your choice.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » July 3rd, 2022, 2:16 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
PhaseThree wrote:As a counterpoint - Here is why I wouldn't go near this phone.

I take it that you didn't follow scotia's link.
For Qualcomm, it means that all phones with Qualcomm Snapdragon chipsets, beginning with the Snapdragon 888 that appeared on many 2021 flagships, will get four years of security updates and three Android version upgrades.

Qualifying phones include the Xiaomi Mi 11, the OnePlus 9 and, well, the Samsung Galaxy S21.

By my math £379 / 4 is less than £100.

But then I really doubt that your point was about the relative cost. I pointed out that my phone cost about £100, so clearly having kept it 2 years that's £50pa, 3 and it's down to £33pa.
I've just checked the phone website and there is a rom update available, which I'm currently downloading.

Of course it's a phone that's made in China, though in this case by a chinees company rather than an American one.

You pay's your money and makes your choice.

Not that it matters really, the point I was making really is that you don't have to spend a £1000 or near that to get a high quality device in today's market. It happens the Nord2 is available for around £300, but there's dozens and dozens out there to choose from. Yes they're made in China.

iPhone? They're made by a Taiwanese company, Foxconn in their Shenzen factory, China (and other companies in China too).

I am totally aware of possible back doors hidden inside Chinese electronics. I think it's probably likely that a high proportion of Chinese electronics have well hidden deliberate security problems. Sadly, if you want a modern electronic device, it's virtually impossible to avoid the Chinese supply chain. It's just one more aspect of our lives where Western democracy has handed over ultimate control of our lives to the Chinese communist party.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”