Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Free or cheap mobile for a charity

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
pje16
Lemon Half

Free or cheap mobile for a charity

Postby pje16 » July 3rd, 2022, 5:38 pm

I am looking for one of the above that has a large screen, I have a good sim deal so it is just a case of getting a mobile
We run a foodbank and a clothing donation scheme and are getting an increasing number of Ukrainian refugees coming to us, who do not speak English
One of our volunteers has been using Google translate to communicate with them, but I can't keep asking her to use her data and phone
Does anyone know where I can get a free or cheap one, the most important criteria is a large screen (at least 5 inch) so that reading text is easy
thank you
Paul

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Free or cheap mobile for a charity

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 3rd, 2022, 6:32 pm

pje16 wrote:I am looking for one of the above that has a large screen, I have a good sim deal so it is just a case of getting a mobile
We run a foodbank and a clothing donation scheme and are getting an increasing number of Ukrainian refugees coming to us, who do not speak English
One of our volunteers has been using Google translate to communicate with them, but I can't keep asking her to use her data and phone
Does anyone know where I can get a free or cheap one, the most important criteria is a large screen (at least 5 inch) so that reading text is easy
thank you
Paul

Not free, but you might consider something like a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 32 GB 4G Android Tablet, I bought one a while ago for £215 (Amazon). Not a phone, obviously, but a good sized screen. If you shop around you may find a lower price.

Edited to add:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-A7-Lite-32GB-8-7-inch-WiFi-Only-4G-LTE-Version-Android-/284525447930?var=&ff3=2&toolid=10044&campid=5338819209&customid=APIcallSKF&lgeo=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&ufes_redirect=true

RC

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 3rd, 2022, 7:00 pm

Again not free, but have you considered a mobile hotspot.

That way she wouldn't be using her data. Indeed you may find that many refugee's have smartphones. I understand that they are somewhat a requirement these days.*
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... _PrefLoc=2
Less than £30 for the hardware, plus data costs of course.
Somewhat more expensive from Amazon.

Or
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/mobile-broadband-deals
£15-26pcm
Possibly what your SIM may cost anyway.

You might be well advised to change the Network ID and password once a week though.

*Why Refugee's have smartphones.
https://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/why-a ... -refugees/

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 4th, 2022, 8:45 am

Thank you for the replies guys
We already have a good internet connection but a hot spot (good idea) is not required
It is more about not using your personal kit for business
and a tablet would not work as we need to make and accept phone calls
some of our users have had covid so cannot attend, they ring us so I jump in my car and deliver
We can afford a phone so this is more about the cheapest one out there rather than a freebie
thank you

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 4th, 2022, 9:21 am

pje16 wrote:...and a tablet would not work as we need to make and accept phone calls...

https://mynexttablet.com/best-lte-tablets/
Top 15: Best Tablets With 4G LTE & SIM Card Slot | 2021 Edition
Which are the best tablets with 4G LTE and SIM card support? I’m reviewing almost every tablet and here are the best with cellular options.

Pretty much all the free messaging apps have voice call capability these days, and bearing in mind your target clients justifiable paranoia they might appreciate something like Signal with good privacy/encryption protocols (my default messaging/calls app).
There are even decentralised messaging options that don't rely on a traceable mobile number that are super secure e.g Session.
https://alternativeto.net/software/session/about/

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 4th, 2022, 10:19 am

Just to add - if you approached one of the big OEM's I'm sure they'd consider giving you a decent new smartphone/tablet for free bearing in mind what you are doing...

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 5th, 2022, 8:17 pm

@tsr2
dropped me a pm to say that he had a pair of xiaomi mi phones that had minor screen damage,which I was welcome to have
It turned out that he lived just over 20 miles from me so tonight I went to pick them up
and they are JUST what I was looking for, the damage is minimal
He would not take anything for them, and was just pleased to know that would be put to good use in the Foodbank
I assured him they will as they will be so useful to communicate with the Ukranian refugees
Thank you so much they are really appreciated

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”