Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

HDMI splitter question

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

HDMI splitter question

Postby raybarrow » July 17th, 2022, 9:13 am

Hi Folks,

Our Smart TV has two HDMI sockets. Virgin box in one, the main use, and Blue-ray player in the other. Sometimes I want to plug the laptop into the TV which involves a bit of 'blind' rumaging behind the Virgin Box (the Blue-ray box involves more extensive 'rumaging'. Can I just get a HMDI splitter, one male to two females, to fix to the TV, plug the Blue-ray player into it and give me a spare HDMI socket?
Sound straight forward to me but...

Cheers,
Ray.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: HDMI splitter question

Postby servodude » July 17th, 2022, 9:33 am

raybarrow wrote:Hi Folks,

Our Smart TV has two HDMI sockets. Virgin box in one, the main use, and Blue-ray player in the other. Sometimes I want to plug the laptop into the TV which involves a bit of 'blind' rumaging behind the Virgin Box (the Blue-ray box involves more extensive 'rumaging'. Can I just get a HMDI splitter, one male to two females, to fix to the TV, plug the Blue-ray player into it and give me a spare HDMI socket?

Cheers,
Ray.

you get splitter boxes that do N-to-1 splitting for a range of cost depending on features and quality
I find the U-green stuff to be decent build quality for the money

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 17th, 2022, 10:08 am

Cheers,
Ray.

There's plenty on Amazon (other online shops are available ;)), but make sure you get an N-to-1 box, or at least one with N-to-1 capability, and not (just) a 1-to-N box. The former is for connecting N devices to 1 screen (and choosing between them), the latter for connecting 1 device to N screens (all showing the same thing from the 1 device).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/hdmi-splitter/s?k=hdmi+splitter

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » July 17th, 2022, 5:45 pm

Just watch out for the specs.

There's cheap HDMI splitter/switches on Amazon that claim to be 8K/60Hz capable that aren't anywhere near - look for real reviews to confirm.
Likewise with HDMI cables, make sure they are known brands and high enough spec to handle UHD content if needed.

https://www.hdmi.org/spec/hdmi2_1

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » July 18th, 2022, 6:52 am

Hi Folks,

Thanks for that N to 1, not 1 to N info. I thought it might not be quite that simple.

Cheers,
Ray.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 18th, 2022, 9:43 am

Thanks for that N to 1, not 1 to N info. I thought it might not be quite that simple.

Cheers,
Ray.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=hdmi+switch (vs +splitter) eliminates the solely 1 to N options (splitters). ;)

But in any case, does your smart TV have Miracast capability? Take a look its specs. It's sometimes called something like "Screen Sharing" or "Wireless Display" or similar. If so, select that on your TV and (assuming your laptop is running Windows) press Win+K on the laptop and voila! no cables needed. :D

Win+P let's you choose how to use the second display, and Settings->System->Display lets you, well, set all the other settings....

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”