Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Nokia phon antivirus

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Nokia phon antivirus

Postby Jonetc15 » August 2nd, 2022, 4:03 am

I’m thinking of buying a cheap Nokia phone.I I can’t remember the exact model. (I’m very elderly and infirm.) it will only be used for telephoning and WhatsApp. I’ve suddenly realised that I haven’t found out whether it needs antivirus and/or other security. It will use my outlook.com email address.

On the basis of this rather vague description do you think I should install antivirus if it’s android?

.Thanks in advance
Jon

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Re: Nokia phon antivirus

Postby Jonetc15 » August 2nd, 2022, 4:25 pm

Perhaps it would encourage a reply, which I will hugely appreciate, if I rephrase my question.

If any of you have a basic Nokia phone do you feel that there is a need for additional antivirus security, or are you happy to rely on its Android system?

Thanks in advance

Jon

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » August 2nd, 2022, 4:26 pm

I do not believe you do. I do more than that but have not installed anti-virus. I have a Nokia phone with Android One, for which security updates are guaranteed for three years after purchase.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » August 2nd, 2022, 4:48 pm

[url][/url]
GeoffF100 wrote:I do not believe you do. I do more than that but have not installed anti-virus. I have a Nokia phone with Android One, for which security updates are guaranteed for three years after purchase.

Very many thanks for your helpful reply.

I should have said that the phone is pay-as-you-go, using the original SIM card for O2, bought about 14 years ago.
Would this lead you to change your view in any way?

Thanks again
Jon

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 2nd, 2022, 5:47 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:[url][/url]
GeoffF100 wrote:I do not believe you do. I do more than that but have not installed anti-virus. I have a Nokia phone with Android One, for which security updates are guaranteed for three years after purchase.

I should have said that the phone is pay-as-you-go, using the original SIM card for O2, bought about 14 years ago.

Thanks again
Jon

The SIM makes no difference to security.

RC

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » August 2nd, 2022, 7:44 pm

Thanks again
Jon

A 14 year old phone is not going to be secure whether it has anti-virus or not. That may not matter if you are just using it as a communication device. If you want a new phone, this Samsung phone has four years of guaranteed security updates:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3063879

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » August 4th, 2022, 7:47 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:

Thanks again
Jon

A 14 year old phone is not going to be secure whether it has anti-virus or not. That may not matter if you are just using it as a communication device. If you want a new phone, this Samsung phone has four years of guaranteed security updates:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3063879

Many belated thanks. In fact I gather that it was to be a new SIM card, but the Argos link makes me feel that this is the way to go. In any event, I am most grateful.

Jon

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”